I'm cookin Beef Cassarole for tea

Page 1 / 2
tigga212, Mar 21, 12:15am
n it smells soo good i wanna eat it now lol...

hope it taste just as good it's my first time making it, I've used Rump steak as it was cheap at pak n save, onions, garlic, carrot's n potatios diced up.

what do u put in your's?? ;)

shop-a-holic, Mar 21, 1:53am
Beef stock, Port, Bay Leaves, Bouquet Garni, Wholeseed Mustard.

fee1965, Mar 21, 2:16am
Just a wee tip, when casserole'ing you need to buy casserole type cuts of meat, ie: chuck steak and gravy beef.These have more flavour and take long time to cook.If you use frying steak it cannot be cooked for a long time, and it has not as much flavour.I always use chuck steak for casseroles and cook for minimum of 3 hours - it comes out so tender and flavourful.A glass of red wine added also increases the body of flavour.

beaker59, Mar 21, 5:08am
Rump steak makes a great casserole, I got some of that cheap rump at PnS last week it actually was very nice rump as good as I have bought in ages tender and tasty we fried some and stewed some it was very nice either way.

nfh1, Mar 21, 5:20am
I always use Rump for casseroles - love it!

kinna54, Mar 21, 5:44am
I tend to use rump if making a casserole type that uses "strips of beef, i.e beef stroganoff, but would definitely use blade, chuck or gravy beef normally for casseroles, as these meats do like the slowing cooking, and are often more economical.
I use anything and everything in a casserole, great way of using left over vegies etc. I always ensure I have a good stock as a base.

nfh1, Mar 21, 7:06am
Heavens I thought gravy beef was for dog food. Not too good at this cooking thing!

suie1, Mar 21, 11:22pm
I put plum jam & some curry powder in mine, gives it a sweet & sour flavour & the kids devour it.

tigga212, Mar 22, 12:15am
n it smells soo good i wanna eat it now lol.

hope it taste just as good it's my first time making it, I've used Rump steak as it was cheap at pak n save, onions, garlic, carrot's n potatios diced up.

what do u put in your's! ;)

fee1965, Mar 22, 2:16am
Just a wee tip, when casserole'ing you need to buy casserole type cuts of meat, ie: chuck steak and gravy beef.These have more flavour and take long time to cook.If you use frying steak it cannot be cooked for a long time, and it has not as much flavour.I always use chuck steak for casseroles and cook for minimum of 3 hours - it comes out so tender and flavourful.A glass of red wine added also increases the body of flavour.

motorbo, Mar 22, 2:23am
go find some beef cheeks, best ever for a casserole, the connective tissue breaks down with long slow cooking and then the meat melts in ya mouth, its mosit not dry - which rump does if over cooked, and its tasty as!! best ever i wouldnt use another cut now

davidt4, Mar 22, 2:47am
Beef cheeks are fantastic for a casserole and really cheap.They look a bit gruesome with all the obvious connective tissue, but that's what gives them the luscious texture.

motorbo, Mar 22, 3:13am
hi davidt4, what recipes have you used them in? i just did a basic one, but going to make again this weekend, wouldnt mind a recipe if you have one to share

davidt4, Mar 22, 3:17am
I don't really have a specific recipe, I just use the cheeks in anything that I would previously have made with shin, cross-cut blade or gravy beef.The last beef cheek casserole I made involved onions, garlic, lots of freshbay leaves, a bottle of red wine and 250 ml of port.Cooked at 150C for about 5 hours.Cut the cheeks into large pieces - say 8cm square - and brown well in olive oil first.

motorbo, Mar 22, 6:09am
sounds pretty much like i did, thanks

ian53, Mar 22, 6:46am
We have just had beef casserole for dinner as well.I used chuck steak just because that's what my mother used.I tossed the beef in seasoned flour, browned it, browned some onions and garlic, put in some tomato paste and cooked it out for a minute or so, threw over a can of beer and cooked it in a pressure cooker for 25min. I thickened it with cornflour and red current jelly. I could cut the meat with the wooden spoon. Delicious.

darlingmole, Mar 22, 6:56am
curious to know how much beef cheek cost per kilo please and where do I ask for it?Because this sounds really good :-)
Last week I boughta bag of mutton bones (that had HEAPS of meat on them) from PnS Albany but the curious thing is that they never ever sell mutton so go figure!Cooked them for 4 hours at 150 deg C, drained off a shocking amount of fat and then the family snacked on them all night.

micky_1, Mar 22, 6:57am
have used rump for my casseroles for many years...never found it to be dry like alot of tougher cuts..hate rump as steak to tough for me...lol

motorbo, Mar 22, 7:35am
i got mine from the good food co at mt maunganui, but its from harmony meats in paeroa, so i guess google them fot stockist, mine is 10.95 a kg, but for 1/2 kg i reckon there is enough to feed four, or two hungry meatlovers - what i liked the most abotu it its how tender is becomes the connective tissue melts in ya mouth so not a problem and its so full of flavour that i havent had from other meats in stews, i reckon you could stretch it out with heaps of vegeand still get heaps of flavour - if you cant find harmony meats, ask ya butcher can they supply you

kuaka, Mar 22, 8:10am
I always use rump steak for casseroles but only because when it is on special, it's cheaper than chuck/gravy/blade, and doesn't take so long to cook.I usually do it for about an hour and a half on about 150 deg. C.

davidt4, Mar 22, 8:12am
I pay $6.99 per kg at the Grey Lynn Butcher.I think any old fashioned butchery will get them in for you.

motorbo, Mar 23, 2:23am
go find some beef cheeks, best ever for a casserole, the connective tissue breaks down with long slow cooking and then the meat melts in ya mouth, its mosit not dry - which rump does if over cooked, and its tasty as! best ever i wouldnt use another cut now

davidt4, Mar 23, 2:47am
Beef cheeks are fantastic for a casserole and really cheap.They look a bit gruesome with all the obvious connective tissue, but that's what gives them the luscious texture.

motorbo, Mar 23, 3:13am
hi davidt4, what recipes have you used them in! i just did a basic one, but going to make again this weekend, wouldnt mind a recipe if you have one to share

davidt4, Mar 23, 3:17am
I don't really have a specific recipe, I just use the cheeks in anything that I would previously have made with shin, cross-cut blade or gravy beef.The last beef cheek casserole I made involved onions, garlic, lots of freshbay leaves, a bottle of red wine and 250 ml of port.Cooked at 150C for about 5 hours.Cut the cheeks into large pieces - say 8cm square - and brown well in olive oil first.