Low Carb recipe thread

Page 3 / 43
bedazzledjewels, Nov 26, 2:50am
Like the look of this:
Southern Green Beans and Pecans

Green beans are one of my very favorite vegetables and this is the easiest and best way I know how to prepare them! Something about pan sautéing them that just really makes the flavor! Steamed doesn’t cut it for me with veggies and I am sure you will agree when you make these Southern style beauties! Mmmmm good!

1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1/4 pound bacon, sliced into small pieces
1/4 cup pecan halves
1 roasted red pepper, julienne
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Salt
2 tablespoons butter

Place a small pot of water over high heat to boil.

1. Drop trimmed green beans in boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender but still crispy.

2. While green beans are cooking, brown bacon pieces and pecans in a large sauté pan over medium heat.

3. When green beans are done, strain and place beans into the sauté pan with the cooked bacon and pecans.

4. Add roasted pepper strips, seasonings and butter and sauté together for another 2 minutes on high and serve.

Helpful Hints: If cooking green beans ahead of time, place the beans directly in an ice water bath the minute they are done boiling. Then strain and refrigerate until you are ready to use them. Cooked green beans may be frozen perfectly too!

Yield: 6 servings
Net Carbohydrates: 3 grams each serving
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

bedazzledjewels, Nov 29, 5:14am
No-atmeal Hot Cereal
This recipe from Marks Daily Apple. While Primal, it does have a banana in it so won't suit everyone. Would make a nice change though. And we could use Tessie's almond milk recipe!
No-oatmeal hot cereal – Primal
Ingreds:
 1 small handful of walnuts
 1 small handful of pecans
 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
 1 pinch ground ginger
 1 tablespoon almond butter
 1 banana, mashed
 3 eggs
 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (add more if you prefer it a little runny)
 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds
 1 handful of goji berries or fresh berries
Directions:
Add walnuts, pecans, flax seed and spices to a food processor and pulse it down to a course grain, making sure to stop before it’s totally ground into a powder. Set aside.
Whisk together eggs and almond milk (Doug uses a Blender Bottle) until the consistency thickens a little bit into a loose custard. Thoroughly blend together the mashed banana and almond butter and add it to the custard, mixing well.
Stir in the nut mixture. Microwave or gently warm on the stove until the “no-atmeal” reaches your desired consistency; this should only take a few minutes. In both cases, stir the mixture frequently as it cooks.
Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and berries on top. Add more almond milk if you want. Lick the bowl clean!

kirinesha, Nov 29, 5:18am
What are goji berries Dazz?

uli, Nov 29, 6:03am
Goji comes from Tibet - You can sometimes find plants in garden centres and the berries are available in the bulk dried fruit bins:

http://www.getfrank.co.nz/goji-nature-s-wonder/

http://www.tibetauthentic.co.nz/goji. aspx

bedazzledjewels, Nov 29, 6:08am
I'd just use raspberries.
I think theyre one of those berry-of-the-moment things!

uli, Nov 29, 6:27am
They are supposedly very healthy - however I eat them anyway LOL :)

bedazzledjewels, Nov 29, 6:30am
Uli - what do they taste like?

accroul, Nov 29, 6:39am
tarshlove - you were asking about curry. I sometimes buy a packet of Asia Gourmet Singpore Chicken Curry and divide the sachet into 4 (1 sachet serves 4). The carb count was fairly low per serve which is why I chose this specific curry over others but I haven't got a sachet here to give you the details.
You can also get a butter chicken in the same brand, but the carbs are higher. If it were me, I'd just throw some tomatoes into the Singapore curry (I'm not fussy! )

accroul, Nov 29, 6:47am
Burger Patties

500g Beef Mince
1 Egg
Salt (I used Garlic Salt))To taste
Pepper)
Tsp chopped fresh Rosemary
1 large dessertspoon yoghurt

Mix altogether and refrigerate 30mins - 1 hour.
Divide into 4 and shape into patties.
Cook in pan or on BBQ until brown on both sides.

Chilli flakes are also a nice addition.

uli, Dec 3, 8:31pm
Just like a sour little berry LOL :)
You can buy them dried in bulk bins or at Asian shops. Fresh they are much nicer, but they seem not to be very sucessful in the wet up here in winter, good in summer, but as soon as it gets in April/May they pack a sad.

uli, Dec 3, 8:45pm
Stephans Usties (from Sweden)

4 big eggs
Salt
30g Parmesan cheese grated
15g Psyllium husk
200g Cottage cheese
120g Mozzarella grated

Mix eggs, salt, parmesan and fiber husk and let it sit for 5 minutes or so to get a stiffer "dough".
Add the cottage cheese and mash a bit so the "grains" of the cottage cheese get mashed. Add the grated mozarella and mix it well.

Put 8 nice spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet (use baking paper) and bake at 175°C for about 25 minutes.

These will go very flat during baking, so space very well apart! I do a row of 3 on each side of the cookie sheet and then 2 into the gaps between the two rows of 3 and they will just fill the whole area.

They can be used warm to accompany a salad or cold as a quick snack.
I have made a "hamburger with them the other day which was very nice.
They can also be made bigger as a pizza base (half bake first then add topping).
I am going to try them with a bit of bacon in muffin tins next.

Will post another version of these in the next post for you to try :)

uli, Dec 3, 8:54pm
So here is my version:

4 eggs,
salt,
thyme,
rosemary,
oregano,
chilli,
1 tablespoon Psyllium,
2 tablespoons LSA (Linseed, Sunflowerseed, almonds - milled - available in healthfood shops or from Healthery)
Mix together and let stand for 15 minutes.

add:
200g quark or goats cheese (of course I used my own fresh goats cheese),
120g Tasty cheese grated (as I didn't have mozarella)

This time I made 12 small "heaps".

And I uploaded a pic onto a German baking site so you can see how they look:

http://www.backrezepte-online. de/forum/forumsbilder/thumbs/T
humbrUPwRPWeSTDh. jpg

The whole recipe comes to approx 14 carbs,
so if you make 12 little ones like I did each one is only a bit more than 1carb!

uli, Dec 8, 1:27am
Made these ones yesterday:

PROTEIN BALLS(New Zealand Style)

Amounts aren't crucial.
500g of cottage cheese - blend till smooth add... .
100g of ground almonds or other nuts
2 tablespoons of coco powder OR 200g of berries
100g of coconut
1 cup of protein powder
artificial sweetener if liked

add enough coconut cream or melted butter or coconut oil or water to make a soft mixture.

Mix well.
Make into small balls.
Roll in extra coconut.
They freeze well or will keep 3 days in fridge

I use them for morning and afternoon tea at work
(Submitted by Gail)

kirinesha, Dec 12, 8:02pm
A tip for those who use Xanthan Gum to thicken sauces etc (instead of flour / cornflour): Dana Carpender always recommended to mix with a little cold water then add to liquid and use a stick blender to blend in (just stays in lumps otherwise). Needless to say this was a bit of a pain as you had to remove sauce and add back in to the dish, reheat to thicken etc.

However in Dana Carpender's newer slow cooking recipe book she suggests putting it in a salt shaker, sprinkling directly over the dish and just stirring briskly. I tried this, just used my fingers actually to sprinkle finely, and the result is perfect! Much easier and quicker.

uli, Dec 12, 8:26pm
Thanks for that kirinesha! :) Have wondered myself how to get it mixed in faster.

kirinesha, Dec 12, 11:31pm
Cranberry Chutney
(adapted from Dana Carpender and another online recipe)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

500gms frozen cranberries (they are about $5 at the supermarket)
1/2 onion, finely sliced
1/2 cup powdered Splenda (or sweetener of choice)
1t cinnamon
1/2 t allspice
pinch ground cloves
pinch chilli
1/2 cup of water
oil

Sautee the onion over medium heat for a couple of minutes until softening. Add the spices, stir well and cook for another minute. Add the water and Splenda, then the cranberries.

Cook for 5-7 mins until the cranberries all pop. Don't let the whole thing go mushy by cooking too long or you lose the texture of the cranberries.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Recipe notes: I added 1/4 cup Splenda to start then topped up to taste. In total probably added 3/8ths of a cup. You can also add a finely chopped peeled granny smith with the onion but this obviously drives up the carb count.

Carb count: Without the apple allow 2-2. 5 carbs per 2 tbsp of chutney.

Volume: this made enough to fill 2 x Leggo tomato paste jars (one each for Dazz and I), so 500gms total.

Tasting notes: I'm quite happy with this, more a tangy slightly tart chutney then a sweet one. Perfect with turkey or I'm going to try next time we have pork with crackling - will contrast nicely with the richness of the fat.

tessie2, Dec 13, 9:30am
Nutty Cheesecake Bites/Party Food(quick & easy)

250gm tub of Cream Cheese
1/4 cup of Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth)
1/4 cup of Splenda (I crush a few Splenda tabs)
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Vanilla Essence
Optional:Reduce Splenda and add a scoop or 2 of Vanilla protein powder.

In medium bowl combine above with electric mixer. Chill 30 mins or until firm. Form into 3/4" balls and roll in: coconut, finely chopped nuts or SF grated chocolate. Or dip in melted chocolate.
Chill before serving. Can be frozen. Add toothpicks and serve on a tray. If frozen, only takes a few minutes to start to thaw.

Makes about 30.

I served these up to family this afternoon, and got the thumbs up.

For Photo:http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/showproduct. php/c
at/6/item/3301_Nutty-Cheesecake-Bites

uli, Dec 13, 9:45am
Number of Servings: 30
Carbs per serving: 1g Net Carbs

kirinesha, Dec 14, 1:48am
~~~~Decarbed Patatas Bravas~~~~

This is based on a Spanish tapa dish traditionally made with potoates. I changed it out with cauli (as one does) and also used a cheats version of the sauce which I found and was more than happy about for a quick preparation. Obviously nowhere near authentic but very yummy and easy! Great for a lunch at home or an "I don't have much time but want something quick and tasty" meal!

Enough cauli flowerettes to fill the bowl you're going to eat from
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 cup LC mayo
1/4 cup lowest carb tomato sauce you have
Salt
Pepper
Pinch of chilli
Clove of garlic, chopped
Olive oil

1. Add a little water to the cauli and microwave (or boil) until just tender. Drain well
2. Sautee with the garlic in a hot pan with th. e olive oil.
3. Season well with the salt, pepper and paprika.
4. Mix together well the mayo, tomato sauce (I have a smokey BBQ one) and the chilli. Add more chilli if you like heat.
5. Pop the cauli back in the bowl when going golden and crisping in pan
6. Top with sauce and enjoy!

If you wish to be more authenic you can make a more complex cooked sauce, but for a quick lunch this was perfect. Next time though I'll top with crispy bacon bits though!

kristy21, Dec 14, 2:09am
Tarshlove - I make a kind of butter chicken - (was planning on making it tonight but just rememberd no cream in house argg)
I dont do measurements so roughly brown small onion and chicken peices then add about a teaspoon of chilli and curry powder cook for 2 minutes, add can of tomatoes and some cream, simmer for15 and done! last week I forgot the tomatoes. haha, Was still good, other half liked it better. Oh and I put in chopped corriander and chopped nuts or cashews. Havent done the carb count thou

Another one we have is thai green curry - found a good paket mix in supermarket in world section that I just use with coconut cream. Im a lazy cook!

kirinesha, Dec 19, 8:43pm
~~~Chilli Walnuts~~~

300gms walnuts
30gms melted butter
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp white pepper

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Place walnuts in the crockpot and mix through the butter and spices.
- Cook on low for an hour then stir, the cook one more hour.
- Top up spices as desired at the halfway point.

Note: The original recipe said 3 hours on low but the low setting on our crockpot must be a higher temperature than most - 3 hours would have seen our walnuts all turn black and burnt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bedazzledjewels, Dec 19, 9:47pm
Will you do the spicy pecans (the ones with cinniamon and allspice) for the same length of time Kirinesha?

kirinesha, Dec 21, 6:09am
Dazz, I did the candied ones for 30 mins on high then 1 1/2 hours with the lid off on low.

They are very morish! Think might keep in fridge though as am concerned about the butter going rancid... .

kirinesha, Dec 21, 6:13am
Tangy Honey Mustard Dressing (adapted from Dana Carpender)

Just made this and it's a keeper! Much more depth of flavour than you would think it was going to have for such a simple recipe. Naturally, I did some adaptation to personal taste and pantry / fridge stock!

1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp & 2 tsp Splenda (I used 1tpsn and that was heaps)
1/8 tsp pepper (mine was a very generous 1/8th! )
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp Dijon (I used wholegrain)

Combine well and store in container with tight lid.

This actually does have a honey flavour! Very impressed! I'm serving over a warm roasted eggplant, capsicum and green bean salad to go with the Roadkill Chicken.

Makes 6 individual serves, 1 carb each.

kirinesha, Dec 30, 6:32pm
Fab (but simple) Smoked Fish Pie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enough flaked, deboned smoked fish for two (If very strong poach in a little milk first and drain)
1/2 - 3/4 cup of cream
125gms cream cheese
3 boiled and chopped eggs
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt & pepper
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Premade cauli mash (cauli cooked until soft, drained and well mashed with cream, butter and wholegrain mustard, s&p)
3 tbsp grated parmesan per portion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Warm the cream and stir in cream cheese until dissolved.
- Add the eggs and fish and all seasonings, stir carefully so you don't break up fish into mush
- Stir through the lemon juice to cut the richness
- Check the taste and adjust seasonings
- Put into individual pie dishes and top with cauli mash for the LCer and potato mash for the others
- Top with cheese
- Bake at 180C for 30 mins (fan bake if you have it so cheese browns, or move up high in oven)

Note: The cream cheese seems to thicken the sauce
Options: Drained and rinsed capers would make a nice addition as well
Rating: Pretty near top of my husband's favourites list for this year!