Low Carb recipe thread

Page 2 / 43
doug57, Nov 21, 1:43am
kirinesha, Where did you find the smoke essence please?

kirinesha, Nov 21, 2:02am
Doug, a friend sent me some (3 bottles) from the US but I know it's available online locally at these sites:

http://www.zarbo.co.nz
https://secureweb.co.nz/nelson-naturally/webshop/index. php

I use mine in chilli, marinades etc, love it!

doug57, Nov 21, 3:49am
Excellent . . Thanks:) The Nelson site looks yummy!
Dukkah would be another good low carb thing, make some low carb bread to go with it and some EVOO :)
B. T. W. . Have you ever made the oatmeal molasses bread in the Dana Carpender book? . . We've made it heaps of times! The crusts are DIVINE slathered in butter! [best part of the bread LOL] then the next day, I slice it thinly, cut into small squares and dry out on a gentle heat in the oven to use as crackers. . yum! ... been a wee while since I did that, must make some soon now I've thought about it!

bedazzledjewels, Nov 21, 6:17am
I found this recipe from a reader Justine on Barry Groves blog:
Quote:- "I have adapted the breakfast pancake and coconut biscuits. Not sure if is a biscuit, a pancake or a slice or even a coconut frittata! It is much easier cooking all the mixture at once rather than making individual fritters.

I beat two (or more) free range eggs, add dessicated coconut and grated cheddar cheese (amounts can vary) to almost fill up the egg mixture - no salt as I cook in salted butter.
If you have time, leave it to sit for a while so the coconut can absorb the egg.
Heat heaps of butter (New Zealand butter of course) in an appropriately sized frypan till just turning brown and then tip the mixture into the frypan, squish it down to spread over the base.
Turn heat down, and cook slowly till a little brown, turn over to cook the other side till brown, turn off heat and leave in the pan to absorb any extra butter.
Cut into wedges or quarters when cold - great for a packed lunch.
I have cooked it in bacon fat as well. "

It seems that Barry might be starting to write a recipe book - good news!

kirinesha, Nov 21, 10:06pm
Balsamic Beef (Crockpot recipe from Dana Carpender)

I changed this slightly as her recipe called for a 1. 75 kg beef round (a single piece, like a roast). I used the same amount of chuck steak but cubed it.

1. 75 kgs cubed beef
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 crushed cloves garlic
235ml beef stock
1 tsp powdered beef stock
60ml balsamic vinegar
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
260g tinned chopped tomatoes
Pepper to taste

Brown the beef cubes in oil and add to crockpot. Add all other ingredients and cook for 8 hours on low.

Don't salt until the end once you've found out how salty the stock is once reduced down.

This makes a lovely rich casserole, and I didn't need to thicken the sauce but you can use Guar or xanthan or flour etc if you wish to thicken to your personal desired consistency. Very simple recipe but lovely.

Should make 8 serves with 5 usable carbs each.

kirinesha, Nov 24, 8:44am
I had a play with an old favourite recipe and made this tonight - a very simple and largely de-carbed version of a lovely classic Italian dish. I removed the onions which bought the carbs down a lot without sacrificing flavour and ended up with a very smooth sauce, it was lovely and my husband is keen to have it again!

Serve with salad or slow roasted eggplant and mushrooms sprinkled with balsamic vinegar.

~~~ Creamy Paprika Chicken (good for crockpot or stove) ~~~

• 3 x drums per person
• Salt, pepper
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 large tbsp tomato paste (about 50gms / 8 carbs)
• 150ml chicken stock
• 2 tbsp cream
• Olive oil
• 1 clove crushed garlic

Season the chicken generously with salt, pepper and paprika. Heat oil in pan and brown the chicken. Add the garlic to one side and soften (don’t brown). Add the chicken stock and bring to boil. Add the tomato paste and stir until mixed through. Cover with lid and simmer until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken. Stir through cream and reheat lightly if needed. Serve over chicken.

Should be around 4-5 carbs each person.

kirinesha, Nov 24, 7:59pm
Hi Doug, no, haven't made it but will find some molasses and have a go!

accroul, Nov 24, 8:21pm
kirinesha - same isle as the sugar!

kirinesha, Nov 24, 8:38pm
Hehe, I shop online!

jan2242, Nov 24, 8:48pm
Yummy Cheese drop biscuits - like muffins
Cheese Biscuits
Ingredients

¼ cup Virgin Coconut Oil or butter, melted
1/3 cup sifted Coconut Flour
4 eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Method

Blend together eggs, butter, salt, and onion powder. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in cheese. Drop batter by the spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 205 Degree C (400F) for 15 minutes. For a cheesier biscuit increase cheese to ¾ cup.

jan2242, Nov 24, 8:50pm
Cheese Crackers

½ cup sifted coconut flour
½ cup almond flour
2 eggs
¼ cup butter, melted
¼ teaspoon salt
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Method

Blend together almond flour, eggs, butter, salt and cheese. Add coconut flour and kneed the dough in your hands for 2 to 3 minutes. Form dough into 1 inch balls, place on an un greased cookie sheet and flatten to a diameter of about 2 to 2½ inches. Bake at 205 Degree C (400F) for 15 minutes. These crackers taste best straight from oven and slightly crisp. Leftover crackers can be reheated at 205 Degree C (400F) for about 4 minutes. Makes about 16 crackers.

jan2242, Nov 24, 8:51pm
Coconut flour bread
6 eggs
1/2 cup ghee (or butter)
2 TBS honey
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 c coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
Blend all ingredients in a food processor (or whisk) until there are no lumps. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake in preheated oven for 40 mins.

jan2242, Nov 24, 9:07pm
Have you tried the male liquid smoke also? Just wondering which was the nicest. Thanks

kirinesha, Nov 24, 9:36pm
Male liquid smoke?

rozke, Nov 24, 9:45pm
what mayonaise do you put on your salads? ? thanks

tarshlove, Nov 24, 9:46pm
Jan 2242 what is the carb count for those 3 recipes?

kirinesha, Nov 24, 9:53pm
Rozke

Best Foods is very popular as it has basically zero carbs. I also use the Heinz Seriousl Good Mayo as I think it has a fabulous flavour (biut a few more carbs)

rozke, Nov 24, 10:32pm
tyvm kiri regards

tarshlove, Nov 24, 10:51pm
Does anyone have a low carb Butter chicken or other curry?

uli, Nov 25, 12:39am
There are hardly any carbs in a normal butter chicken recipe tarshlove, as most ingredients (chicken, tomato, cream etc) have nearly no carbs and the thickening is done traditionally with almond flour or ground almonds. So just use any traditional recipe :)

jan2242, Nov 25, 12:45am
Sorry haven't worked it out but very little as the main in all bar the bread is coconut flour which is only 21 carbs per 100g.

kirinesha, Nov 25, 5:13am
Not quite right there Uli... . tomato (whether paste or pieces) and onion are not that low in carbs, and some recipes include yoghurt which again contains carbs. A medium onion contains 10 carbs, 1 cup of paste contains 50 carbs, or 200gm (1/2 can) chopped tomato another 6-12 carbs depending on the brand you use... ... by the time you add in the carbs for the garlic and ginger and the spices (eg: 6 carbs for 9gms garama masla) it adds up.

uli, Nov 25, 9:18am
6 carbs for 9gms garama marsala - really?
Maybe I am not as low carb as I think I am LOL :)

tarshlove, Nov 25, 9:21am
kirinesha what packet curries do you recommend if any?

kirinesha, Nov 25, 9:33pm
Sorry Tarsh, we make all our curries from scratch - even grind our own spices.