Low Carb recipe thread

Page 4 / 43
kirinesha, Jan 1, 7:07am
~*~*~Almond-Parmesan Crust~*~*~

Note: Use for quiche or similar. Makes one crust in a 25cm round dish.

1&1/3 cups almonds (grind until texture of cornmeal)
½ cup grated parmesan
6 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp water

Method:
Pulse the almonds and cheese in food processor until combined, add water and butter and run until dough is formed. You may need to scrape away from sides or base halfway through.

Line buttered or sprayed nonstick baking dish and bake at 180 for 10-12 mins. Cool before filling.

Makes: 8 serves, 2 carbs per serve.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 3, 8:31pm
Righto - suggestions please.

I froze the ham bone and now I want ideas of what to do with it!
Obviously the usual pea and ham soup is out of the question.
Pity, as the lousy weather almost makes it a p&h soup day. Maybe make some stock, or is there something more exciting out there? Ta! .

lil_miss_haley, Jan 3, 8:36pm
If you make the almond crust, but omit the parmesan and add sugar or sweetner you can use it as a base for something like cheesecake.
[edit] I wouldn't add 1/2 a cup of sweetner though! Maybe a tbsp of sweetner and a little bit more almonds? I just make it up as I go along lol

It does seem like a soup day dazz! I'm tempted to make some curried chicken and tomato soup myself.

kirinesha, Jan 3, 9:48pm
Haley, I make a sweet base for cheesecakes etc with almonds, hazelnuts and melted butter and a little Splenda. Works really well.

kirinesha, Jan 9, 7:31am
Made this tonight and can only recommend most enthusiastically that you try it! Just fabulous! Thanks Davidt4 for letting me copy it here :)

mommabean, Jan 12, 1:05am
Hey there i have recently started back on lo carb. Used to do it before had my daughter but have struggled to get back to it since - two years. One week into a new start and doing ok dont have too much weight to lose so no dramatic results yet but i feel better for it. Have been lurking about in the lo carb thread for a while now and am feeling really positive about all the information/wisdom available that didnt seem to be when i started out. Because im a bit tenchnologically incompetent and am struggling to find things on the huge lo carb thread i wondered about how people would feel cutting and pasting their low carb recipes in the lo carb people thread into a lo carb recipe thread. there may be a simpler way and if there is please let me know but i have been cutting and pasting into a word document and it is extremely time consuming. cheers Tania

bedazzledjewels, Jan 12, 3:23am
Bump...

kirinesha, Jan 12, 7:17pm
I've bumped this for Stan - you'll find hundreds of great recipes here!

earthangel4, Jan 12, 10:39pm
this is a good idea I have some recipes, but all packed at the moment, so as soon as we are settled will put them up

kirinesha, Jan 13, 1:55am
A good idea... . and I will post some of mine here but don't count on the thread being here forever! I copy and paste as I go in case the thread drops off, gets voted off etc... .

kirinesha, Jan 13, 2:18am
Flax wraps (posted by Doug) These are EXCELLENT - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: In a small bowl mix 2. 5 Tblspns ground flax, 1/4 tspn b/powder, onion & garlic powder (or just pepper) to taste and a dash of salt. Then add 1 large egg, 1 tblspn melted butter and 1 tblspn water. MIX. Pour into an 8" glass pie plate [spray with oil] and tip dish so mixture spreads over entire bottom. Cook 3 mins on Hi in microwave. Allow to cool

kirinesha, Jan 13, 2:21am
Low carb hot cereal (like porridge) 1 cup ground flaxseed, 1 cup ground almonds (I prefer flaked), 1/2 cup oat bran, 1 1/4 cup wheat bran, 1 cup protein powder (vanilla is nice). Mix together - toast almonds if you want a different flavour. For breakfast add 1/2 cup to a bowl and top with 3/4 cup boiling water. Let sit for a min or 2 then eat with cream or I stir in a couple of dollops of greek yoghurt to mine before eating. 7 carbs per serve excluding the yoghurt. Makes 9 serves.

kirinesha, Jan 13, 2:22am
Low carb bread (for breadmaker) 3/4 cup tepid water, 1 egg, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar (burned up in cooking process), 1 tbsp butter, 2tbsp milk powder, 1/3 cup ground flaxseed, 1/4 cup soy flour, 3/4 cup gluten flour, 1 3/4 tsp yeast. (I also add sunflower seeds, or better still - dried rosemary and 1/2 finely chopped onion). Things to note: MUST cook on RAPID BAKE, choose LIGHT crust and SMALL loaf settings. This does like being knocked down more than once. If letting cool in breadmaker then leave lid slightly opened.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 3:03am
For low carb support see the low carb / no carb people thread here in Recipes.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 3:19am
I recommend this website Linda's: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 3:20am
Dana Carpender's books are good. Here is her website and blog - and a few recipes! Link: http://www.lowcarbohydrate.net/blog

charlieb2, Jan 13, 3:34am
dazz, #1's been lurking in the lowcarb thread she just thought it would be a good idea to have the recipes seperately, so they dont get lost in the thread! ! ! ! Good idea

outragous55, Jan 13, 3:43am
#10, I think that #7 was just referring to anyone in here that there is a Low Card 'Support' thread around as wel should they want to visit :)

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 3:57am
Yep Charlie just thought it'd be good to link the 2 thread. Thanks Outragous!

winnie15, Jan 13, 7:23am
i've saved this recipe low carb thread to the safe haven area http://www.votemenot.co.nz/threads. php? id=5

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 8:40pm
Over on a US forum they're discussing making up a low carb quiche mixture in a ziplock plastic bag and throwing it into the freezer uncooked. Then when you want to use it, tip into dish and bake as normal. How do you think that would work out? Interesting idea!

accroul, Jan 13, 9:01pm
can you throw us the link please dazz?

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 9:51pm
Not much discussion there at the moment! But I don't imagine you could freeze it for for than a couple of days if it has cream and eggs in it?

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 9:53pm
Here's the original HIGH carb recipe - Quiche In A Bag
1 Cup cooked meat -- diced or browned
3/4 Cup vegetable -- blanched, thawed
1 Cup Cheddar cheese
1/4 Cup onion -- diced
1 3/4 Cups Milk
4 eggs
1/8 Teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 Cup flour (whole wheat works fine)
2 Teaspoons baking powder

Combine meat, vegetable, cheese and onion. Place this mixture in a gallon Ziploc bag. With a mixer or blender combine milk, eggs, Tabasco sauce, flour and baking powder. Mix well and pour into the bag with the meat/vegetable mixture. Seal bag label and freeze.

To serve thaw completely. Shake bag well and pour into a spray treated or greased deep dish pie plate or quiche pan. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.

Bake at 180 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes until lightly browned on top and well set in center. Cool about 5 minutes before serving.

earthangel4, Jan 13, 10:40pm
bumping up for low carb people