South Island cheese rolls!

Page 3 / 4
vintagekitty, Jan 30, 10:56pm
rainrain's one is the original I think and the little hutt is still there moetus

vintagekitty, Jan 30, 10:56pm
rainrain's one is the original I think and the little hutt is still there moetus

suzanna, Jan 30, 11:08pm
Elliehen this is a simple recipe but very easy and tasty. I think it was the Oamau Country music club one year made literally hundreds as a fundraiser and I'm pretty sure this was the recipe they used. I remember listening to Marcus Lush when he used to do the Friday night slot and he did one on cheese rolls which is when I heard the call from a woman from Oamaru talking about the hundreds she'd helped to make. Also when I heat them I dont grill them but heat them in a flatbed toasted sand machine. I think that they're dry when grilled. I always have a stack in the freezer as handy for visitors or lazy meals with soup. Go on Elliehen...try...you'll love them! Btw I have over 45 different versions of said cheese rolls but still like this one.

"ezy as ... I'm happy to share my recipe - used to have a shop and made them all the time. Very yum. In a bowl put grated cheese, finely chopped onion and mix together. Then add boiling water and stir with until a little bit on the sloppy side. Let the mix sit a while until spreadable then spread a good laying on thin bread (white or brown) and roll up (ie, like a letter for an envelope - into 3). Don't press down on them too much as they go really flat. Can be put on a tray on in a bag ontop of the crust from the bread an frozen. The mix can be used in sandwiches as well and you can substitue onion for crushed drained pineapple as well. Nice done with mince as well. Enjoy!
Quote nettie14 (66 )7:16 "

suzanna, Jan 30, 11:08pm
Elliehen this is a simple recipe but very easy and tasty. I think it was the Oamau Country music club one year made literally hundreds as a fundraiser and I'm pretty sure this was the recipe they used. I remember listening to Marcus Lush when he used to do the Friday night slot and he did one on cheese rolls which is when I heard the call from a woman from Oamaru talking about the hundreds she'd helped to make. Also when I heat them I dont grill them but heat them in a flatbed toasted sand machine. I think that they're dry when grilled. I always have a stack in the freezer as handy for visitors or lazy meals with soup. Go on Elliehen.try.you'll love them! Btw I have over 45 different versions of said cheese rolls but still like this one.

"ezy as . I'm happy to share my recipe - used to have a shop and made them all the time. Very yum. In a bowl put grated cheese, finely chopped onion and mix together. Then add boiling water and stir with until a little bit on the sloppy side. Let the mix sit a while until spreadable then spread a good laying on thin bread (white or brown) and roll up (ie, like a letter for an envelope - into 3). Don't press down on them too much as they go really flat. Can be put on a tray on in a bag ontop of the crust from the bread an frozen. The mix can be used in sandwiches as well and you can substitue onion for crushed drained pineapple as well. Nice done with mince as well. Enjoy!
Quote nettie14 (66 )7:16 "

christineraewyn, Jan 30, 11:21pm
Do you freeze after you have cooked them or fresh.

rainrain1, Jan 30, 11:30pm
freeze fresh

winnie15, Jan 31, 3:28am
do let us know how u got on with the recipe eillehen ;)

elliehen, Jan 31, 4:29am
I'm waiting for the next visitor influx.and giving myself time to choose, now that so many kind posters have offered me more recipes :)

elliehen, Jan 31, 4:29am
I'm waiting for the next visitor influx...and giving myself time to choose, now that so many kind posters have offered me more recipes :)

elliehen, Jan 31, 4:35am
suzanna.thanks for this.Over 45 versions!

I like the look of this one for its three basic ingredients: cheese, onions, water.

Sounds like malcovy's recipe.I think I'm getting closer to the Holy Grail :)

elliehen, Jan 31, 4:35am
suzanna...thanks for this.Over 45 versions!

I like the look of this one for its three basic ingredients: cheese, onions, water.I'll definitely start with this one :)

fifie, Jan 31, 5:16am
Yep this recipe is great, use tasty cheese mixed to a spreadable consistencyused it all the time in a busy tearooms making heaps of cheese rolls. Re grilling found if they are done as needed they are fine, its grilling them andputting them in pie warmers to keep hotis what dries them out.

rainrain1, Jan 31, 5:47am
cheese, raw onions, water.the tastiest recipe of all .

rainrain1, Jan 31, 5:47am
cheese, raw onions, water......the tastiest recipe of all .....

rainrain1, Jan 31, 5:48am
bluff oysters and blue cod

hott-mama, Feb 6, 8:18am
are these best served hot or would they be ok cold . (to go in school lunch boxes) .

!

245sam, Feb 6, 8:24am
hott-mama, I LOVE cheese in just about any way but IMO these cheese rolls are best served hot.
I think though that children's tastes sometimes differ so much from those of us adults so I suggest that you try your children on them in their school lunches - if they like cold previously cooked/melted cheese then they may like the rolls cold and if they don't I'm sure you'll be well informed and asked/told not to include them again.;-))

hott-mama, Feb 6, 8:36am
cool .

thanks 245sam .

=)

chrisynz, Feb 6, 8:49am
you dont need to cut off the crusts.why waste good bread.still as tasty wiuth the crusts on

bucjo, Feb 6, 9:42am
no no no. don't cut off the crusts they're the best bit. don't roll them really tight, fold them.

i use cup of cheese, 1/2 cup of milk, small grated onion, squirt of mustard, tablespoon of flour, melted. then spread onto sandwich sliced bread with crusts, folded in threes to make a roll.

grill and butter out of oven.

annie.nz, Feb 6, 8:36pm
As a Southlander from way back, I recommend these - when well made, they are the absolute best version imo.However they need to be grilled nicely on both sides and heated through well enough to melt the cheese.

I was back in Southland recently and had one of the newer style made with packet soup, and while nice, they're not as good, although probably hold better heated if the rolls aren't made fresh.

dollmakernz, Feb 7, 6:30am
They roll better with the crusts off, but you don't need to waste them. Cut the crusts into smaller pieces, melt some butter and add either mixed herbs or garlic to the butter then pour over crusts. Bake in the oven for 10mins. They make beautiful croutons for soup!

brynn06, Dec 19, 5:48pm
Anyone have a recipe for these famous rolls!What other tasty treats are south island famous!

lythande1, Dec 19, 7:59pm
Er.the recipe varies. Its cheese on bread, rolled up and baked. Various people add things to the cheese, some don't.

dollmakernz, Dec 20, 6:46am
These are really nice and go a long way. I've made 4 loaves up so far this weekend!
Cheese Rolls
1 Packet onion soup warmed with 1 cup of water over low heat, add 2 packed cups grated cheese, ½ tsp paprika, ½-1 tsp curry powder.
Cut the 2 long crusts off bread and spread one side (lightly) with butter or margarine. Spread the cheese mix on the other side, roll up with the cheese mixture on the inside,place in plastic bag in fridge for 1hr then grill. They are really handy to keep in the freezer for last minute snacks.
Makes appx 2 loaves of bread.