South Island cheese rolls!

Page 1 / 4
hott-mama, Feb 6, 8:18am
are these best served hot or would they be ok cold .. (to go in school lunch boxes) ..

??

245sam, Feb 6, 8:24am
hott-mama, I LOVE cheese in just about any way but IMO these cheese rolls are best served hot.
I think though that children's tastes sometimes differ so much from those of us adults so I suggest that you try your children on them in their school lunches - if they like cold previously cooked/melted cheese then they may like the rolls cold and if they don't I'm sure you'll be well informed and asked/told not to include them again.;-))

hott-mama, Feb 6, 8:36am
cool ..

thanks 245sam ..

=)

chrisynz, Feb 6, 8:49am
x1
you dont need to cut off the crusts..why waste good bread...still as tasty wiuth the crusts on

cookessentials, Feb 6, 9:21am
x1
Dunedin Cheese Rolls-Courtesy of Richard Till

1 loaf sandwich bread, crusts removed. (white is better to my way of thinking) 200g grated cheese
1 small onion finely chopped
1 packet onion soup
1/2 tin reduced cream
1 Tbl powdered mustard
100g softened butter.

Method
Heat oven to 180 C
Combined the grated cheese, onion, onion dip, reduced cream and powdered mustard.
Spread a thin layer of butter across a slice of bread.
Turn bread over and spread other side with a thin layer of cheese mixture.
Roll up, (butterside out)
Bake for 15 - 20 mins

Allow to cool before serving. The insides stay VERY HOT for quite some time.

bucjo, Feb 6, 9:42am
no no no. don't cut off the crusts they're the best bit. don't roll them really tight, fold them.

i use cup of cheese, 1/2 cup of milk, small grated onion, squirt of mustard, tablespoon of flour, melted. then spread onto sandwich sliced bread with crusts, folded in threes to make a roll.

grill and butter out of oven.

annie.nz, Feb 6, 8:36pm
As a Southlander from way back, I recommend these - when well made, they are the absolute best version imo.However they need to be grilled nicely on both sides and heated through well enough to melt the cheese.

I was back in Southland recently and had one of the newer style made with packet soup, and while nice, they're not as good, although probably hold better heated if the rolls aren't made fresh.

cookessentials, Feb 7, 1:23am
I saw a version made by someones Grandmother on a blog which had evaporated milk in them.

jazzryn, Feb 7, 1:33am
Have always used evaporated milk, melt the cheese with it and add the onion soup mix, have been making them like that for 35 years and I am a mainlander

dollmakernz, Feb 7, 6:30am
They roll better with the crusts off, but you don't need to waste them. Cut the crusts into smaller pieces, melt some butter and add either mixed herbs or garlic to the butter then pour over crusts. Bake in the oven for 10mins. They make beautiful croutons for soup!

brynn06, Dec 19, 5:48pm
Anyone have a recipe for these famous rolls?What other tasty treats are south island famous?

jessie981, Dec 19, 6:10pm
Thin sliced bread with crusts off, 2c tasty cheese, tin evaporated milk, pkt onion sop, knob of butter.
Melt ingredients over a low heat then spread thcikly on bread. Roll up & toast under grill. Before serving add a dab of butter on top.
Mouse Traps
Beat egg(s), salt, pepper, add grated onion (opt), a little milk & spread thickly on bread. Top with bacon cut into pieces & place on second rung from bottom of oven. (This is the secret of cooking both top & bottom) Cook 10 mins (approx) @ 160 -180.

lythande1, Dec 19, 7:59pm
Er.....the recipe varies. Its cheese on bread, rolled up and baked. Various people add things to the cheese, some don't.

goatroast, Dec 19, 11:49pm
I just mix some onion soup mix in with grated cheese and some cracked pepper. Add boiling water to the mixture until it is mixed and spreads easily.

willow99, Dec 19, 11:51pm
I do reduced cream and onion soup. Yum!!

dollmakernz, Dec 20, 6:46am
These are really nice and go a long way. I've made 4 loaves up so far this weekend!
Cheese Rolls
1 Packet onion soup warmed with 1 cup of water over low heat, add 2 packed cups grated cheese, ½ tsp paprika, ½-1 tsp curry powder.
Cut the 2 long crusts off bread and spread one side (lightly) with butter or margarine. Spread the cheese mix on the other side, roll up with the cheese mixture on the inside,place in plastic bag in fridge for 1hr then grill. They are really handy to keep in the freezer for last minute snacks.
Makes appx 2 loaves of bread.

bucjo, Dec 20, 9:37am
nooo! don't cut the crusts off. they're the best part. my mum's recipe is just cheese, grated onion or onion stock, bit of flour mixed with milkand mustard all melted together.

greerg, Dec 20, 7:47pm
Good idea -must make some to stow in the freezer to feed the hungry hordes arriving from their flats and searching every nook and cranny for "interesting" i.e. "not student flat" food.

doree36, Dec 21, 1:25am
heres my recipe - delicious.
1 loaf sliced sandwich bread ( traditionally white but not essential.1 small can (approx 1 cup) reduced cream. 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, 1 packet dried onion soup mix , 2 cups (approx ) grated cheese (tasty is nice) , and a dash of worchestershire sauce Melted butter or olive oil to brush before cooking.preheat oven to 180 degrees. cut three sides of crusts off bread, Mix all ingrediants to-gether. Put into fridge to firm up a little. put mixture onto bread and roll towards remaining crust. put rolls into oven tray. brush generously with melted butter or oil spray and bake for approx 15 to 20 minutes until golden and toasted. Serve hot. Can be prepared and frozen and then reheated.Makes 25 to 30. Enjoy. got this recipe from a N.z Womens weekly November 2004.

crystalmoon, Jan 30, 1:37am
I also add a can of creamed corn to help bulk out mix,leave crusts on for hungry teens,helps go further.MMM. making up a few loafs today for the freezer.

crystalmoon, Jan 30, 1:37am
I also add a can of creamed corn to help bulk out mix,leave crusts on for hungry teens,helps go further.MMM... making up a few loafs today for the freezer.

elliehen, Jan 30, 1:42am
Would the original recipe please stand up and identify itself!All these variations are confusing.

Any real old-timer Dunedinites out there!

Edited to add:I tried the soup mix, evaporated milk and cheese one and found it far too salty.

elliehen, Jan 30, 1:42am
Would the original recipe please stand up and identify itself?All these variations are confusing.

Any real old-timer Dunedinites out there??

Edited to add:I tried the soup mix, evaporated milk and cheese one and found it far too salty.

rainrain1, Jan 30, 4:48am
"I had no shoes and complained,
until I met a man who had no feet."

timetable, Jan 30, 4:53am
i grate the cheese and then add a pkt of bacon and onion maggi soup then pour small amounts of boiling water over the mix till its a spreadable mix.spread on sandwich bread, roll up and grill and then spread loads of butter on... yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm