South Island cheese rolls!

Page 2 / 4
timetable, Jan 30, 4:53am
i grate the cheese and then add a pkt of bacon and onion maggi soup then pour small amounts of boiling water over the mix till its a spreadable mix.spread on sandwich bread, roll up and grill and then spread loads of butter on. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

elliehen, Jan 30, 6:23am
rainrain1, I usually 'get' your quips, but this one has gone over my head...

Are you saying that an overly salty cheese roll is better than no cheese roll at all??

elliehen, Jan 30, 6:23am
rainrain1, I usually 'get' your quips, but this one has gone over my head.

Are you saying that an overly salty cheese roll is better than no cheese roll at all!

malcovy, Jan 30, 6:29am
Elliehen, the original ones are just onion (I use garlic press or for larger amounts grated in food processor), grated cheese and a little boiling water and mix to a creamy consistency.No need to add salt unless of course you prefer it.

rainrain1, Jan 30, 6:37am
I am saying why don't you try out a few instead of confusing yourself over the recipes

rainrain1, Jan 30, 6:37am
I am saying why don't you try out a few instead of confusing yourself over the recipes

uli, Jan 30, 8:16am
bump for this delicacy

chrissie91, Jan 30, 8:59am
Yes I am with you with that one. I ent to a wee cafe in Dunedin around 35 years ago. Tried the cheese rolls, they were so yum. I wonder what that cafe's recipe was.

donna_jo29, Jan 30, 9:06am
haha may as well add bacon in there as well. or bits. we just use onion soup, cheese and water.

elliehen, Jan 30, 9:26am
Because I don't want to be disappointed more than once and was hoping to try the original, without the variations.

rainrain1, your pithy saying is SO abstruse...I think there's probably a better quote for you out there in Googleland ;)

elliehen, Jan 30, 9:26am
Because I don't want to be disappointed more than once and was hoping to try the original, without the variations.

rainrain1, your pithy saying is SO abstruse.I think there's probably a better quote for you out there in Googleland ;)

elliehen, Jan 30, 9:28am
That sounds like one I'd like to try.

I will not quit until I find out why everyone raves about the famous Southern Cheese Roll ;)

elliehen, Jan 30, 9:28am
That sounds like one I'd like to try.

I will not quit until I find out why everyone raves about the famous Southern Cheese Roll ;)

schnauzer11, Jan 30, 11:52am
Often referred to down that way as Southland Sushi !

nzl99, Jan 30, 4:59pm
Sounds kinda like a rolled up croque-monsieur without the ham.Anywho, have tried them years ago after reading rave reviews on these boards. hmmm. it's just not my thing. to salty for this lass.

rainrain1, Jan 30, 7:13pm
Here's an original for you, I do so hope you can find the onion stock.......

4ozs butter
2 heaped Tbsp flour
2 heaped tsp onion stock
2 cups milk
2 cups cheese

Melt butter, stir in flour and stock. Pour in milk. When thick remove from heat and stir in grated cheese.....
Variation....substitute 1/2 cup of the milk for 1/2 cup Speights

rainrain1, Jan 30, 7:13pm
Here's an original for you, I do so hope you can find the onion stock.

4ozs butter
2 heaped Tbsp flour
2 heaped tsp onion stock
2 cups milk
2 cups cheese

Melt butter, stir in flour and stock. Pour in milk. When thick remove from heat and stir in grated cheese.
Variation.substitute 1/2 cup of the milk for 1/2 cup Speights

pugswal, Jan 30, 9:03pm
The Copper Kettle at H & J Smiths in Invercargill used to make corn rolls (creamed corn) and also mince rolls (cooked mince, seasoned). I think way back they had oyster rolls too! The Fountain coffee bar that was, used to make the BEST cheese rolls - sadly no longer an Invercargill institution!

moetus, Jan 30, 10:21pm
hi, I remember the cheese rolls from Dunedin in the early sixties from two coffee bars one opposite the old European Hotel downstairs & te other was opposite Arthur barnetts one of them was called The Little Hut they were awesome ,but definitlydidnt have evaporated milk mixed in..I can still taste them yummy.Maureen.

moetus, Jan 30, 10:21pm
hi, I remember the cheese rolls from Dunedin in the early sixties from two coffee bars one opposite the old European Hotel downstairs & te other was opposite Arthur barnetts one of them was called The Little Hut they were awesome ,but definitlydidnt have evaporated milk mixed in.I can still taste them yummy.Maureen.

rainrain1, Jan 30, 10:24pm
Just make them with grated cheese and fine chopped raw onion, melt together in pot and spread on bread then roll up, maybe add a bit ofwater.to get mixture to correct consistency.Toast and spread with a bit of butter .simple and beeeeeautiful

elliehen, Jan 30, 10:30pm
Thanks rainrain :)

bridget107, Jan 30, 10:35pm

rainrain1, Jan 30, 10:39pm
you're welcome elliehen :-)

rainrain1, Jan 30, 10:39pm
you're welcome elliehen :-)