South Island cheese rolls!

Page 4 / 4
bucjo, Dec 20, 9:37am
nooo! don't cut the crusts off. they're the best part. my mum's recipe is just cheese, grated onion or onion stock, bit of flour mixed with milkand mustard all melted together.

wazza28, Jan 31, 7:50am
moetus wrote:
hi, I remember the cheese rolls from Dunedin in the early sixties from two coffee bars one opposite the old European Hotel downstairs & te other was opposite Arthur barnetts one of them was called The Little Hut they were awesome ,but definitlydidnt have evaporated milk mixed in.I can still taste them yummy.Maureen

Little Hut! Best cheese rolls in the world there!Remember them well.

unknowndisorder, Apr 23, 8:09am
bumping up :)

nzkea1, Apr 23, 8:10am
Awww you are such a gem thanks sooo much I am going to be making them tomorrow :O)

annie, Jul 1, 10:09pm
i used to make the cheese rolls for Arthur Barnetts tearooms in 1965. the filling was ---grated mild cheese ,grated onion, touch of premixed mild mustard , touch of salad dressing. SMALL amount of boiling water,whip all together with a fork till fluffy, then go ahead and make your cheese rolls from crustless thinslice white bread .

hezwez, Sep 20, 7:28am
Bump for the awesome Southland rolls

cell2u, Sep 20, 8:27am
We had this one in the bakery also i used boiling water as it seems easier to mix.

fifie, Sep 20, 8:58am
Used to make dozens of them with onion, cheese, water for thetour bus's in a tourist cafe every day, tourists loved them, still make a heap in winter to have with soup, great for lunch and they freeze well to.

rainrain1, Sep 20, 9:19pm
I heat it all until cheese melts, then spread all over bread slice and fold the bread twice. they pack nicely into a 2 litre icecream container for freezing

annie.nz, Sep 21, 4:52am
Yep.The local version where I grew up was grated cheese mixed with a little grated onion and maybe just a tiny bit of egg or boiling water to help bind (some families only), salt and white pepper.Roll and toast slowly enough for the cheese to melt.

The packet-soup variation is a fairly recent affair and not nearly as good as a well-made classic one.

shop-a-holic, Sep 21, 10:44am
Stopped not too long ago at a cafe in Winchester.Her gorgeous ginormous cheese rolls where made from bread sliced vertically, along the loaf.
Ohhh la la!
I passed over the dressed sausage for three of them!(Oink).

annie.nz, Sep 22, 11:16pm
Original - depends on the definition.See my post #16 re bucjo's recipe.I grew up in Southland and predate onion soup mix, onion stock and all the rest.The original recipe didn't use any of these.

cory_pearson, Sep 23, 5:08am
I just read about the paprika and curry powder - will try that in my next batch.I usually add a teaspoon of mustard for a little kick to mine.

Does anyone know where I can find a bakery in Auckland that will cut my bread lengthways!That's the best bread to make cheese rolls with!I tried doing it myself, but it was rather inconsistent - everyone at work thought i was making rustic cheese rolls.

family007, Sep 29, 3:54am
Old Fashioned Cheese Rolls:
1 white sandwich loaf
Potted Cheese
1 red onion
100g softened butter.
Remove crusts from bread. Spread generous amount of pottes cheese on each slice. Sprinkle with red onion and roll up. Place under grill turning once top and bottom are golden brown. Remove from heat and spread top of rolls with butter. Serve immediately.

Potted Cheese:
250g grated cheese (use up leftovers)
2 eggs beaten
250ml milk
1 teaspoon mustard powder mixed with 1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teasppon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
In a small saucepan over low heat, place cheese, eggs, butter and milk.
Heat, stirring occasionally till ingredients are melted and mixture is smooth.
Remove from heat and add mustard salt and black pepper. Pour into container, cool, cover and store in fridge.

gardie, Sep 29, 5:17am
This is my recipe pretty much.Made them for morning tea yesterday and used 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder in as well (keep curry to 1/2 tsp).I remove bottom and sides crust just leaving the top one on and I start rolling so that the crust is inside and invisible.Always brush with heaps of melted butter before putting in a hot oven for 14 -20 mins or until crisp and brown.These turn out very creamy - no need for expensive reduced cream or evaporated milk.