Potatoes- Ways to have it without OVEN on!

Page 1 / 2
courtney2004, Jan 21, 4:57am
Wanting to cut down on the oven so mission is how to have the daily potato in interesting formats without the oven/grill being on!! we do have aBBQ that we are using to brown the meat etc but want ideas please.

buzzy110, Jan 21, 5:15am
You could buy and Easy Cook (EC). Oven hardly ever goes on in my household apart from for bread, which needs the oven, and cooking whole joints, which won't fit in the EC.

Can bake or roast potatoes in their jackets, not in their jackets, make chips, bake scalloped spuds, at the same time as you are cooking lamb chops, sausages, chicken or whatever you like to eat.

Brilliant for doing roasted mixed veg - rub in oil, garlic, rosemary and salt cut up potatoes, courgettes, butternut, parsnip, baby tomatoes, kumara, button mushrooms, or whatever turns you on and they are cooked in 30 mins.

They take all the guesswork out of entertaining as well, because you know exactly how long it will take to cook veges that usually take lots longer.

Takes no more than 30mins to cook a med sized spud from go to whoa and you can do 20 of them at the same time.

mcardnas, Jan 21, 6:17am
me and the boy lovedcubedpotatoes. ichop them intosmall cubesand pan fryin hot oil.youcanadd seasoings to taste

eastie3, Jan 21, 6:32am
When I was repping and staying in motels with no oven,I used to nuke a potato in the microwave then crisp it up over the toaster slots,with the control turned up to 8.

Is that what you meant?

rainrain1, Jan 21, 7:07am
Grate, squeeze out water, work quickly so they don't go brown, fry blobs of in pan in half oil, half butter till crispy both sides.....but hey that's using an element which isn't an oven anyhow...gob them down before the kids find ya!!Otherwise use microwave or eat raw

lmfao-, Jan 21, 7:11am
Deep fryer as chips? or microwave them.

rainrain1, Jan 21, 7:15am
Oh yea...light fire outside and bake in embers, or hungi under the ground, or buy a cheats hungi and use that...but it will need to be plugged in to an electrical three pointer along with the xmas lights and the electric guitar....oh, and you might need me there to sing along with all the great hungi peeps here in the South Island

sumstyle, Jan 21, 9:27am
I do this in the microwave - cube em, toss in a little olive oil, pepper and eg chicken or green herb stock and then nuke for 8 minutes or so, depending on how many you've got.That's how I do my "chips" if I'm making my own fish n chips

elliehen, Jan 21, 9:44am
I do something similar - mini-cube potatoes, shake in a plastic bag with a little oil and then add a little flour, curry powder, pepper and salt and cook in frypan.Only takes a few minutes...kids love them.

tinkagirl, Jan 21, 9:59am
get a slow cooker, that will save you heaps on power

cookinboots, Jan 21, 1:36pm
Add to vegetable soup

lx4000, Jan 21, 8:24pm
electric frying pan:) Nice roast spuds:)

(barloo)

garfeild101, Jan 25, 11:31pm
Microwave them spiked so they dont explode, scoop out flesh, mix with creme cheese, fried bacon bits, cheese and spring onions, scoop back into the potatoe jackets and microwave till cheese melted.....stuffed potatoes using just the microwave and a small pot or pan for the bacon....or already cooked shredded chicken

isis., Jan 25, 11:33pm
I grate mine, microwave until a bit soft, chuck in a plastic ziplock bag with seasonings (salt, garlic, lemon pepper ect)
Then fry in a little oil in a fry pan

jaebee, Jan 26, 12:50am
mmm, thats what we do here too sometimes. Add some onion as well and its super super good

duckmoon, Jan 26, 7:20am
vege curry?

crystalmoon, Jan 26, 10:31pm
beautiful mashed potatoes,cant go past it.Mmmmmmm :) Add lots of flavours,herbs,garlic,mustard,-
cheese.
Also boiled ,peeled potato's cut into chunks brown nicely on the bbq and if you ahve a hooded bbq you can foil and bake them or do your whole roast in tray in bbq.Good luck.

courtney2004, Jan 21, 4:57am
Wanting to cut down on the oven so mission is how to have the daily potato in interesting formats without the oven/grill being on! we do have aBBQ that we are using to brown the meat etc but want ideas please.

buzzy110, Jan 21, 5:15am
You could buy and Easy Cook (EC). Oven hardly ever goes on in my household apart from for bread, which needs the oven, and cooking whole joints, which won't fit in the EC.

Can bake or roast potatoes in their jackets, not in their jackets, make chips, bake scalloped spuds, at the same time as you are cooking lamb chops, sausages, chicken or whatever you like to eat.

Brilliant for doing roasted mixed veg - rub in oil, garlic, rosemary and salt cut up potatoes, courgettes, butternut, parsnip, baby tomatoes, kumara, button mushrooms, or whatever turns you on and they are cooked in 30 mins.

They take all the guesswork out of entertaining as well, because you know exactly how long it will take to cook veges that usually take lots longer.

Takes no more than 30mins to cook a med sized spud from go to whoa and you can do 20 of them at the same time.

eastie3, Jan 21, 6:32am
When I was repping and staying in motels with no oven,I used to nuke a potato in the microwave then crisp it up over the toaster slots,with the control turned up to 8.

Is that what you meant!

rainrain1, Jan 21, 7:07am
Grate, squeeze out water, work quickly so they don't go brown, fry blobs of in pan in half oil, half butter till crispy both sides.but hey that's using an element which isn't an oven anyhow.gob them down before the kids find ya!Otherwise use microwave or eat raw

lmfao-, Jan 21, 7:11am
Deep fryer as chips! or microwave them.

rainrain1, Jan 21, 7:15am
Oh yea.light fire outside and bake in embers, or hungi under the ground, or buy a cheats hungi and use that.but it will need to be plugged in to an electrical three pointer along with the xmas lights and the electric guitar.oh, and you might need me there to sing along with all the great hungi peeps here in the South Island

sumstyle, Jan 21, 9:27am
I do this in the microwave - cube em, toss in a little olive oil, pepper and eg chicken or green herb stock and then nuke for 8 minutes or so, depending on how many you've got.That's how I do my "chips" if I'm making my own fish n chips

elliehen, Jan 21, 9:44am
I do something similar - mini-cube potatoes, shake in a plastic bag with a little oil and then add a little flour, curry powder, pepper and salt and cook in frypan.Only takes a few minutes.kids love them.