Potatoes- Ways to have it without OVEN on!

Page 2 / 2
garfeild101, Jan 25, 11:31pm
Microwave them spiked so they dont explode, scoop out flesh, mix with creme cheese, fried bacon bits, cheese and spring onions, scoop back into the potatoe jackets and microwave till cheese melted.stuffed potatoes using just the microwave and a small pot or pan for the bacon.or already cooked shredded chicken

duckmoon, Jan 26, 7:20am
vege curry!

crystalmoon, Jan 26, 10:31pm
beautiful mashed potatoes,cant go past it.Mmmmmmm :) Add lots of flavours,herbs,garlic,mustard,-
cheese.
Also boiled ,peeled potato's cut into chunks brown nicely on the bbq and if you ahve a hooded bbq you can foil and bake them or do your whole roast in tray in bbq.Good luck.

uli, Jan 27, 5:12am
Bump for more easy oven-less recipes for spuds.

dibble35, Jan 27, 11:13pm
Lately i've been boiling up a decent potful of new spuds, eating some as they are with butter, but the rest I let cool put in fridge and over next few days pull out what i want , slice them and fry them in oil/butter with onion, zucchini, bacon or just on there own, beautiful!

onekiwigirl, Jan 28, 1:11am
Just a suggestion, what about Baking whole hungi style potatoes in a slow cooker. It can, on occasion, be very handy to fill up your slow cooker with foil wrapped potatoes in the morning, then return to the kitchen hours later to find them ready and waiting!

Essentially, all you need are potatoes, foil and a slow cooker. Scrub the potatoes (this works best with potatoes labelled 'suitable for baking' on the bag). Wrap each one in foil (to stop them drying out), and arrange them in the cooker, no water or any liquid. I usually do a single layer over the whole bottom of bowl.Put on the lid, turn the slow cooker on to LOW, and in 6-8 hours you will have delicious baked potatoes, just like hungi potatoes! Serve with butter and/or sour cream as a side dish, or 'stuff' them with a more elaborate filling (baked beans and grated cheese, leftover mince mixtures etc.,) to serve as a main.

NOTE: Sometimes potatoes that are pressed against the sides of the cooker bowl can brown a bit. To prevent this, you may want to turn or rearrange them after 4-5 hours, if you're passing. Larger potatoes take longer to cook all the way through, so for best results, select potatoes of similar size.

Cheers