Page 1 / 3
darlingmole, Jan 30, 7:33am
pleasure!

Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad (divine)
1 C brown rice
1 3/4 C water
1/4 C soya sauce (light)
1 onion flinely chopped

Cook rice inwater, when cooked add soya sauce and onions and leave for a few hours of preferably overnight.

Next day add: -

1 diced red capsicum
1/c C roasted peanuits
1/2 C roasted pumpkin seeds
1/w C roasted sunflower seeds
handful of sultana's

Dressing ~
1/2 C olive oil
2 T lemon juice
1 t lemon rind
1 clove crushed farlic
1 t ginger
1 t honey
pinch of salt

I tell you honestly - have made this it is ALWAYS well received and actually devoured.Very crunchy and tasty

nfh1, Feb 4, 8:19am
Yes I know this is an old thread but .

would this be ok without the soy sauce or is that a vital ingredient!

Thanks

charlieb2, Feb 4, 9:56am
Hmmm, I think the liquid component of the soya sauce is importantin terms of making the salad the right consistency. and obviously there is the 'salty' factor from the soya sauce as well. if you can figure how to get around that. give it a go

fisher, Feb 4, 10:16am
nfh1. Put (whatever) the dressing you make and the seed mix etc into the dish just before you serve. Well I like it best that way.:}

charlieb2, Feb 4, 10:46am
hmmm I thought you may be allergic, hence my comments. can you make it up as directed (or a half measure) and then see what you think. the lemon gives it quite a zing and tones down the soya

toadfish, Feb 4, 6:47pm
If its just a dislike not an allergy I would give it a go using the soya sauce (its only 1/4 cup for a large amount of rice). as I don't taste it as soya sauce as such. as it mixes with all the flavours and gives you a different one if that makes sense.

Why don't you make it and divide the cooked rice in 2.Add half the soya to one and not the other. and then go on as usual and have 2 dishes to taste test. would be interested to hear how you got on.

kaddiew, Feb 4, 6:54pm
Do you add the soy sauce while the rice is still hot or once cooled! Thanks!

toadfish, Feb 4, 7:10pm
While its still hot.I cook my rice in the rice cooker and as soon as it has finished I take the bowl out of the cooker and add the soya sauce and the finely chopped onion.I would so the same if it was in a saucepan. take it off the heat and add them both.

petal1955, Feb 5, 8:47am
I made this for my "first" catering job tonight.andI got requests for the recipe from a dozen lady bowlers.it was delish.normaly always try a recipe before serving .but on the recommendation of this message board took it as "gospel" it was a good one !

toadfish, Feb 5, 9:01am
I know, I have reached the stage now that if I take somewhere, I print out a copy of the recipe and take that too. as everyone wants it. same for my green dip in a cob loaf.

jbsouthland, Feb 6, 2:23am
Ooooh Toady now I soooo want your green dip in a Cob Loaf.think I had something similar or same some years ago and have always wantedthe recipe. from memory does it have spinach in it !

sarahw2, Feb 25, 7:47am
Sounds YUMMY! Is it just as good without the raisins! I dont like raisins in salads.

elliehen, Feb 25, 8:05am
More. and more-ish ;)

toadfish, Feb 25, 9:05am
DIVINE GREEN DIP.
1 Cobb Loaf, 1 onion, 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 cup grated cheese, 250g cream cheese, 1/4 tsp basil, 4 silverbeet leaves (cooked & well-drained). Cut the top off & hollow out the Cobb loaf, keeping the bread to cut into small serving-sized pieces for dipping. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a food processor & then pour the mixture into the Cobb shell & place the lid on i.e. the piece cut from the top of the loaf. Bake at 150°C for 1/2 hour. Serve warm. Note: From Julia– “This is absolutely divine but the bread is not enough on its own for dipping, so I always serve other things e.g. Snax crackers, finely sliced French bread .I have also done in it in small rolls for individual dips & my Aunt has served it up as a Vegetarian meal, 1 dinner roll with filling and lots of chopped up vegetables for each person.”

Yup thats my one reposted. complete my note about my Aunt lol. just devine.

elliehen, Feb 25, 9:11am
You're getting a reputation for being Most Reposted, toadie ;)

toadfish, Feb 25, 9:38am
I must admit its a little like chinese whispers though. someone doesn't like sultanas so leaves them out and then when someone asks they repost there version under my name. It was only recently when I looked i thought. mmm. no sultanas. and mmmmm I have never added a pinch of salt to the dressing, not with all that soya sauce. but it really is my favourite salad. ammaking enough for 120 for a wedding next week as my present to the bride lol.

NB the above recipe has no sesame seeds and I add 1/2 cup of sultanas. not sure where the handful comes from. still any combination of nuts and seeds are nice, usually depends on what I have in the cupboards.

barb.art, Dec 9, 11:39am
Going to make this for my neices wedding. How much rice would you use for 130 people please! (Would alter the rest of the ingredients accordingly) Cheers

barb.art, Dec 16, 8:21pm
Toadfish.I am also making this for a wedding and am wondering how much rice you used for 120 people please!Thanks

toadfish, Dec 16, 8:36pm
mmmmm I am struggling to remember. i think I made 4 x the recipe. which would have been enough if there were lots of other salads of a similiar size,Some of the others ask to bring a salad brought family size ones lol. mine was a hit and most people go some,

I brought mixed nuts instead of peanuts and made sure the top was garnished well with them. maybe hold a packet back and sprinkle over the top.I transported it to the wedding in 2 x the biggest snaplock you can get. then kjust put it into the catering bowl and sprinkled nuts & Seeds on the top.

brenda2002, Dec 17, 12:41am
hiya Toady (merry xmas to your gorgeous family) seeing as your recipe for the brown rice salad has gone around the board 200 times lol . can you please post YOUR original one that hasn't been adjusted by anyone. Thanks so much :)

elliehen, Dec 17, 1:52am
It's what happens inevitably to recipes, with creative cooks.

Like the Colonel's secret herbs and spices, it needs to be put in a bank safety deposit box.

elliehen, Dec 17, 6:08am
Bumping for toadie :)

charlieb2, Dec 17, 6:30am
Hey Brenda, you old married woman. how's married life!

I copy and pasted this directly from a Toadie post a few years back:

. Brown Rice Salad - By popular demand! 1 cup brown rice 1 3/4 cup water 1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available) 1/2 onion finely chopped Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool(a couple of hours preferably overnight) Add the following ~ 1 red pepper chopped 1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped 1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas. Dressing: 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp grated lemon rind 1 clove garlic crushed 1 tsp fresh ginger 1 tsp honey pinch of salt. Mix and pour over salad toadfish (708 ) 8:52 am, 18 Dec

charlieb2, Dec 17, 6:31am
Gosh it was a few years back. I'm just looking at the feedback number for toadie then as compared to her post above! lol

toadfish, Dec 17, 10:56am
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
I have the dressing in a jar, the nuts etc in a bag and the rice in the fridge and just mix together last minute.