Toadies brown rice salad

Page 2 / 3
brenda2002, Dec 18, 3:45am
thanks guys .

LOL @ old married woman .im doomed now haha

charlieb2, Dec 18, 4:53am
in eternity.

moggie57, Dec 19, 11:21am
instead of all the different nuts & seeds.i buy *Alison Holsts cranberrysprinkle mix* from the bins at new world.yum

lisapisa2, Dec 22, 3:27am
Do you think crushed ginger from a jar would be ok to use or is fresh grated best! Has anyone used ginger out of a jar for this recipe! Thanks

elliehen, Dec 22, 3:33am
I always use fresh ginger and keep it in the freezer, grating it from frozen, so I'm never without it.Most people seem to do that - cheaper and also has more zing than the jar, I think.

mike547, Dec 23, 7:01am
does anyone know about how many the recipe would feed.I have about 18 adults coming, would just double be enough do you think

toadfish, Dec 23, 7:22am
For a rule of thumb - I say 1 amount of the recipe will feed 10 people when served with other salads. So double will be plenty... and its lovely the next day as well.

sqiff, Jan 30, 7:25am
Just wondering if someone would kindly post Toadies brown rice recipe for me please. I can only find posts with people saying how nice it is but have been unable to find the actual recipe even in the search board at the side.

darlingmole, Jan 30, 7:33am
pleasure!!!

Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad (divine)
1 C brown rice
1 3/4 C water
1/4 C soya sauce (light)
1 onion flinely chopped

Cook rice inwater, when cooked add soya sauce and onions and leave for a few hours of preferably overnight.

Next day add: -

1 diced red capsicum
1/c C roasted peanuits
1/2 C roasted pumpkin seeds
1/w C roasted sunflower seeds
handful of sultana's

Dressing ~
1/2 C olive oil
2 T lemon juice
1 t lemon rind
1 clove crushed farlic
1 t ginger
1 t honey
pinch of salt

I tell you honestly - have made this it is ALWAYS well received and actually devoured.Very crunchy and tasty

sqiff, Jan 30, 8:31am
Thanks so much darlingmole. I will definitely give it a go. It looks great.

nfh1, Feb 4, 8:19am
Yes I know this is an old thread but ..........

would this be ok without the soy sauce or is that a vital ingredient?

Thanks

charlieb2, Feb 4, 9:56am
Hmmm, I think the liquid component of the soya sauce is importantin terms of making the salad the right consistency.. and obviously there is the 'salty' factor from the soya sauce as well.. if you can figure how to get around that...... give it a go

nfh1, Feb 4, 9:59am
Thanks charlieb2 - I will have a go and see what happens - I do not like soya sauce but everyone has raved about the dish so I wanted to have a go!

fisher, Feb 4, 10:16am
nfh1... Put (whatever) the dressing you make and the seed mix etc into the dish just before you serve... Well I like it best that way...:}

nfh1, Feb 4, 10:21am
thanks fisher - it sounds really good and have seen so many recommendations for it.

charlieb2, Feb 4, 10:46am
hmmm I thought you may be allergic, hence my comments.. can you make it up as directed (or a half measure) and then see what you think.. the lemon gives it quite a zing and tones down the soya

toadfish, Feb 4, 6:47pm
If its just a dislike not an allergy I would give it a go using the soya sauce (its only 1/4 cup for a large amount of rice)... as I don't taste it as soya sauce as such... as it mixes with all the flavours and gives you a different one if that makes sense.

Why don't you make it and divide the cooked rice in 2.Add half the soya to one and not the other... and then go on as usual and have 2 dishes to taste test... would be interested to hear how you got on.

kaddiew, Feb 4, 6:54pm
Do you add the soy sauce while the rice is still hot or once cooled? Thanks!

toadfish, Feb 4, 7:10pm
While its still hot.I cook my rice in the rice cooker and as soon as it has finished I take the bowl out of the cooker and add the soya sauce and the finely chopped onion.I would so the same if it was in a saucepan... take it off the heat and add them both.

nfh1, Feb 4, 8:30pm
Right I have made a decision - am going to do half with soya sauce and have without and see what happens.I am not allergic, I do not like salt, so that is why I wanted to leave it out.

Thanks everyone for your help.

kaddiew, Feb 4, 9:26pm
Great thanks. Off to buy some brown rice!

petal1955, Feb 5, 8:47am
I made this for my "first" catering job tonight..andI got requests for the recipe from a dozen lady bowlers....it was delish....normaly always try a recipe before serving ......but on the recommendation of this message board took it as "gospel" it was a good one !!!!

toadfish, Feb 5, 9:01am
I know, I have reached the stage now that if I take somewhere, I print out a copy of the recipe and take that too... as everyone wants it.... same for my green dip in a cob loaf.

nfh1, Feb 5, 11:44pm
OK - I tried it with and without the soya sauce - definitely better with!They were both good but it was better with!

Thanks everyone.

jbsouthland, Feb 6, 2:23am
Ooooh Toady now I soooo want your green dip in a Cob Loaf...think I had something similar or same some years ago and have always wantedthe recipe... from memory does it have spinach in it ???