Rice Salad

gazz, Mar 20, 1:47pm
Hi all, has anyone ever tried making Toadfishes Brown rice salad, but instead of brown rice, using white rice? Did it work out okay? Thanks

toadfish, Mar 20, 5:50pm
Never tried it to be honest, Have you ever made it with brown rice?

Personally I think its the "nuttieness" of the brown rice that suits the seeds and nuts and all the other ingreidiants. If you give it a whirl let us know the results.

I have this white rice salad which is quite nice and a bit different.

Toadies "White Rice Salad"

Dressing: ½ Cup Olive Oil, ¼ Cup White wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon Sugar, Juice of 1 lemon. Mix the dressing up in a screw top Jar. Put your leftover rice in a bowl and add what you fancy. I have added ½ cup (ish) of raisins, and about ¼ cup each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. But you could add anything in the salad line. Tastes delish... . just letting it stand for a while to let the rice soften... but tastes delicious already. (don't always need all the dressing I just add it till it looks right)

janeny1, Mar 21, 12:14am
The latest issue of NZ fitness magazine has a nice rice salad recipe
We had it last night,
Cajun Rice Salad.
-Serves 8 as a side dish

1 teaspoon turmeric (can be omitted for a white rice salad)
2 teaspoons salt reduced vegetable stock powder
1 1/2 cups raw basmati rice
1/2 cup carrots finely diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
1/2 cup 97% fat free mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1/2 cup Spanish onion sliced pepper

-bring a large saucepan, 3/4 filled with water to boil. Once boiling, add turmeric, stock powder, and rice, stir well. Reduce to slow boil.
-After 5 minutes add carrots, peas, corn and beans. Add extra water if needed and stir occasionally to avoid rice sticking to base of saucepan.
-Once rice is cooked, turn out into a colander and rinse well. In a large mixing bowl add rice, onion, cajun seasoning and mayonnaise mixing together well. Pepper to taste.

earthangel4, Nov 18, 3:57pm
just love toadys brown rice salad, have tried it with white rice, but not the same, it hasn, t got the nutty favour