Mussels in malt vinegar with brown sugar recipe??

tajarn, Sep 23, 5:15am
x1
please anyone.and the steps from 1 to eat!thank you yum yum!!

beaker59, Sep 23, 5:22am
I just steam and shell them then pour a bit of vinegar over, I haven't used brown sugar before I have used sweet thai chilli sauce though thats nice.

Right now though I don't buy live mussels as they are at thier worst condition wise, soon they will start fattening up a bit though.

fisher, Sep 23, 12:54pm
beaker59.. you ever frozen mussels raw in their shell.. What did you do with them after being frozen or once thawed.. ??

beaker59, Sep 23, 11:53pm
x1
No I haven't but in Aussie when staying with my brother you can only buy frozen greenlips and we do usethose but they are nowhere near as good as live. We steam them or make Mussel fritters there personally here I just give up mussels for that short time of the year when they are skinny.

Cut a dozen good sized raw mussels into thirds,
finely dice a tomato and an onion,
add 1 egg and a pinch of curry powder about 2 or 3 tablespoons of flour,
1/4 tsp of baking powder.
Finely chopped fresh corriander.

Mix up and fry in butter and oil.

purplegoanna, Sep 24, 12:07am
i just mix a tsp of brown sugar into some malt vinegar, add some thinly sliced purple onion and soak the cooked mussels in that....its more of a 'to taste' recipe....than exact amounts

vtired, Sep 24, 12:13am
Steam open mussels retain some liquid and add back to bowl with mussels in, top up with spiced and malt vinegar (half and half) until just covering mussels, cut red onion into rings, add sugar to taste samesalt and pepper, leave to chill down and devour. I use white sugar it is up to you and your taste buds.

fisher, Sep 24, 12:49am
Cheers folks... I have a lot of recipes I can actually use for mussels but it was more the "using them from frozen".
Friend has a couple of bags frozen from "fresh" just put in freezer with shell and all... said.." just buy fresh from supermarket, not that dear and cook up the frozen ones and use as bait "
Still wants to use the frozen ones..I have never used them like that so maybe someone here had done so with some good results...

beaker59, Sep 24, 12:57am
Simple answer is they are fine for anything you want to do. Only down side is they are not as good raw which my favourite way.

fisher, Sep 24, 1:05am
thanks...

peter148, Oct 1, 4:36pm
I use the frozen mussels as a cheap substitue for oysters in Thai soups.

kcak, May 7, 5:17pm
Chopped fresh coriander and dill is nice added to the mix too.