Brown sugar pavlova

korbo, Nov 29, 1:39am
saw a recipe somewhere for a pavlova, using brown sugar.
does anyone have it. thanks

bottynoodle, Nov 29, 2:11am
Heaps of recipes on google Bill Grainger has a nice one

dilligaf_dah, Nov 29, 11:12am
Theres a nice one in the new Countdown Magazine

korbo, Nov 29, 11:42pm
ahhh. #4, maybe that is where I saw it. does anyone have it. junk mail has gone.

fifie, Nov 30, 9:00pm
c/d junk mail pav i have is made with cocoa in it, and butterscotch sauce has br sugar in it korbo, i tried br sugar one once used my ordinary recipe and took 1/4 of the sugar content out and replaced it with brown,. It turned it from a marshmallow pav to a slightly chewy one lol,

kay34, Dec 1, 5:57am
Check Annabel Langbeins website, i think she does one?

korbo, Dec 1, 9:11pm
surely someone has the junk mail with the recipe.

valentino, Dec 1, 10:18pm
I have a few Choc and Brown sugar recipes to try and also the following links where one has been looking and checking the most common way of putting it together, it does help to look through and then either try one or marry a few to suit, like using the icing sugar pavlova but somehow add in that brown sugar part and getting the right balance.

Anyway a couple of recipes as well, not tried yet but saved to think about. Hopes this all makes sense. firstly the links.
http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/11/brown-sugar-pavlova-with-glorious.html http://www.kidspot.co.nz/recipes-for+4181+20+Cakes-&-Baking+Brown-sugar-meringues.htm
http://www.toast-nz.com/2013/02/brown-sugar-pavlova-with-raspberries.html https://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food/recipes/recipe/-/13452214/bill-grangers-pavlova-with-brown-sugar-and-strawberries/

Now the recipes in following post.

valentino, Dec 1, 10:40pm
Brown Sugar Meringue or pavlova with Choc Cream.

1 cup packed soft brown sugar
4 egg whites
icing sugar for dusting

Filling;
100 grams dark chocolate
200mil cream.

Preheat oven 140C.
put 2 x 20cm Flan type rings tins without bases on baking trays lined with baking paper. Lightly brush the inside of flans with melted butter and dust with flour.
Push brown sugar through a coarse sieve.
Whip egg whites until soft peaks, then gradually beat in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue whisking or beating for 2-3 minutes until very thick and satiny.
Divide mixture between the flans being careful not to knock out air.
Smooth the surface with a knife.
Bake for an hour, preferably on the same shelf, otherwise alternate the position once or twice during baking.
Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
Carefully slip a slim sharp knife between tin and meringue to loosen then leave to cool.
When cool, put a light cake rack on top of each meringue, invert, then peel of paper. Loosen from flan ring, then turn meringue top-side up again.

Melt choc with 3 tablespoons water in a microwave, or in a small saucepan over low heat stirring continuously. Cool.
Whip cream until just thick and holding shape - and this is important - if it is too stiff it will turn buttery by the time the choc is folded in (if this happens let it down a little liquid cream). Pour in choc and gently fold cream and choc together with a large spoon.

Put 1 meringue on a cake stand or plate, then spread with choc cream filling Put the other meringue on top and dust with icing sugar. refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving or up to 8 hours (it keeps well refrigerated for 2-3 days).

Recipe is courtesy of Taste Magazine in their 20th Anniversary issue.

Cheers

valentino, Dec 1, 10:42pm
Couple of Choc ones added to look at as well. Can use brown sugar but need to get portions right but can be done, look at above brown sugar recipe for example.

Chocolate pavlova recipe by kidspot
A deliciously decadent twist on an old favourite. This chocolate pavlova is topped with raspberries and cream. Find more on Kidspot New Zealand's recipe finder

Ingredients:
• 6 egg whites
• 300g castor sugar
• 3 tbsp cocoa, sifted
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 50g dark chocolate, chopped finely
• 500ml double cream
• 500g raspberries
Method:
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a pizza or baking tray with baking paper.
In a clean dry bowl, beat the egg whites until peaks form and then continue to beat adding a spoonful of castor sugar at a time.
Add the cocoa, chopped chocolate and vinegar. Fold in gently with a metal spoon.
Pour onto the baking paper in a 20cm round mound. Smooth the top and sides gently.
Turn the oven down to 150°C and place in the oven. Bake for 60mins to 1hr 15mins. Pavlova will be done if it has a crisp shell but still looks a little soft in the centre.
Turn off the oven leaving the pavlova inside and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon. Leave to cool completely.
Invert pavlova on a plate and mound cream in a circle on top. Pile raspberries on top of the cream. Grate additional chocolate over the top.
Notes:
• This recipe is very sensitive to different ovens. Mine seemed to cook very fast. I recommend you keep an eye on it from around the 50 min mark so you don't burn it.
• This recipe was re-created from a Nigella Lawson recipe by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot,

valentino, Dec 1, 10:45pm
Couple of choc Pavlova recipes. Hmmm not Brown sugar but brown sugar could be used if followed above recipes re amounts etc.

Chocolate Pavlova (Recipe from Davenport Chocolates in Auckland)

Delicious pavlova, crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Ingredients:
Pavlova
6 Egg Whites
300g caster sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
25g cocoa powder
50g Devonport Chocolates 56% cocoa solids callets
To serve:
500ml cream whipped
Assorted strawberries and blueberries for serving
Strawberry Coulis
500g strawberries
55g caster sugar
½ lemon
Chocolate Ganache
200g Devonport Chocolates 56% cocoa solids callets
200ml cream
To make the pavlova:
Heat your oven to 140 degrees Celsius fanbake.
Whisk your egg whites until they form stiff peaks. I used a cake mixer, it made this recipe so easily but an electric hand beater will do just as well.
Gradually add the caster sugar one spoon at a time, whisking well between each spoonful to ensure sugar dissolves. Once all sugar is added, whisk for a couple more minutes until the mix has a beautiful satin gloss.
Sift the cocoa and cornflour into the mix and add vinegar and chocolate callets. Fold everything in with a metal spoon until just mixed, no longer.
Cover a baking tray with baking paper and mark a 25cm circle on it.
Spoon your mix onto the shape, building up and smoothing the sides.
Place in oven for one and a half hours then turn off the oven and let pavlova cool in the oven.

To make the strawberry coulis:
Place chopped strawberries in a blender and wizz until smooth. Place in a saucepan on medium heat, add the sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice and stir until sugar has dissolved and remove from heat.
To make chocolate ganache:
Put cream in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling take off the heat, put chocolate in the pan and stir until chocolate is completely melted and cream and chocolate are completely combined.
This is how I served my pavlova:
This pavlova cracked but it has a nice chewy centre, so the cream is very important! In the middle of my pavlova I placed some strawberry coulis and covered it with cream. I topped the cream with chopped strawberries and blueberries and then drizzled it with strawberry coulis and chocolate ganache. Put the left over coulis and ganache in separate jugs so your guests can have extra if they like.
Voila – enjoy!

Chocolate Pavlova c/o Bite
( SERVES 6 )
- Jan Bilton

Ingredients
1/8 tsp Salt
3 Eggs, whites only
1 Tbsp Cocoa powder, dark
1 tsp Cornflour
1 cup Demerara sugar
½ tsp Vanilla essence/extract
1 tsp White vinegar
Topping
300 ml Cream
50 g Dark chocolate, melted
2 Tbsp Dark chocolate, grated or curled
Directions
Preheat oven to 150degC.
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Whip egg whites and salt, until frothy.
Gradually whisk in sugar, then add sifted cornflour and cocoa.
Fold in vanilla and vinegar.
Pile on to the baking paper in an 18cm diameter round tray.
Bake for about one hour, until crisp on the outside.
Turn oven off and leave pavlova to cool.
Remove to a serving plate.
Whip cream and add melted chocolate.
Pile on to pavlova.
Top with the grated or curled chocolate.
Excellent with cherries.

valentino, Dec 1, 10:54pm
Yeah the real deal is to Get egg whites to peaks with a satiny look then spoonful of sugar at a time continuously beating with each addition.

Cut out the cocoa but maintain the cornflour and vinegar etc.

Now. when the sugar is being added, and in spoonfuls then one knows that stiffness - texture required is being kept, once this starts to decrease then stop and use with no further addition of sugar.

Hopes this helps.

1749, Dec 2, 12:37am
Malt vinegar instead of white gives a good flavor to pavs

valentino, Dec 2, 12:42am
The Countdown recipe. The Link.
http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/Recipe/1700 Chocolate Pavlova with Salted Butterscotch Sauce Serves 10 Ingredients
6 egg whites, at room temperature
300g caster sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp balsamic or white vinegar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
75g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
150ml cream
75g butter
150g brown sugar
1 Tbsp butterscotch schnapps
1 tsp vanilla essence
600ml cream, whipped
2 Tbsp fine, good quality chocolate flakes, to garnish
1 pinch sea salt flakes

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line baking tray with baking paper. Trace around plate on paper. Place egg whites in bowl of mixer. Beat until soft peaks form. Using a tablespoon, add caster sugar in 6 batches, beating well after each addition, to form stiff, glossy peaks.

2. Add cocoa, vinegar and cream of tartar. Beat briefly, then remove beaters from bowl. Use spatula to gently fold in chopped chocolate. Spoon pavlova into circle on baking paper. Pile mixture high and smooth around edges. Place pavlova in oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Bake 1 hour, or until meringue is cracked and hard on the outside. Turn oven off with door slightly open. Allow pavlova to cool completely.

3. To make sauce: put all ingredients in saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat. Cool.

4. To serve, place pavlova on platter. Spoon whipped cream onto it. Swirl spoonfuls of sauce into the cream. Sprinkle with chocolate flakes and sea salt flakes.

Editing to add Picture as per Countdown Link.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/429504769.jpg

Cheers