Meatloaf without sausage meat

sara134, Nov 7, 11:39pm
does anyone have a recipe that just uses mince? Thanks :)

davidt4, Nov 8, 12:01am
Pacific Meatloaf

6 – 8

1 c. soft breadcrumbs or fine desiccated coconut
¼ c milk
2 spring onions chopped
4 cloves garlic
4cm fresh ginger
2 tsp lime rind
¼ c fresh coriander
2 tab fish sauce
½ tsp salt
1 egg white
1 kg minced pork or beef
2 tab Thai sweet chili sauce

Heat oven to 180° C.Grease baking sheet.Soak bread or coconutin milk.

Pureé onions, garlic, ginger, lime, coriander, fish sauce, salt & egg white.Add bread and mix, add meat.

Press into 20cm x 12 cm loaf tin and unmould on to baking sheet.Brush with chili sauce, bake 50 – 60 min.

Cool and chill at least 2 hours.Serve cold with chili sauce.

Or make into meatballs.

davidt4, Nov 8, 12:03am
And here's a delicious one from Nigel Slater

Meatloaf with porcini and bacon

Serves 4

white bread - 70g
milk
dried porcini mushrooms - 25g
leeks - 2 medium-sized
butter - 30g
chopped parsley - a small handful
ground beef - 400g
smoked bacon - 75g
garlic - 2 cloves, diced
grated parmesan - a handful

You will need a loaf tin or terrine approximately 10 x 12cm and a sheet of greaseproof paper.

Set the oven at 200ºC/Gas 6. Tear the bread into rough chunks and put into a dish with enough milk to cover. Leave till the bread is thoroughly saturated with milk. Put the mushrooms in a small bowl and cover them with warm water.

Slice the leeks in half lengthways and then into small dice. Wash
thoroughly in a colander with cold, running water.

Melt the butter in a deep pan, then add the leeks and the chopped parsley.
Leave them to soften over a low heat. The leeks should not colour.

Remove the leeks from the heat, add the beef and the bacon, diced into small pieces. Leave the meat to brown nicely on the underside before stirring.

Add the chopped garlic and the mushrooms, drained of their soaking liquid and roughly chopped.

Wring out the breadcrumbs and stir into the mixture with plenty of salt and pepper and the grated parmesan.

Push the meat into the lined tin and smooth the top flat. Fold the paper over the top and place the tin in a roasting tin. Pour hot water into the tin, to come halfway up the meatloaf. Place the roasting tin in the oven, and leave for an hour until fully cooked through.

Leave to settle for 10 minutes before turning out and carefully slicing.

charlieb2, Nov 8, 12:12am
I made an easy peasey one from the new destitute gourmet cookbook the other night... EVeryone loved it.

Everyday Meatloaf
500g Mince; 1 onion chopped;1C grated carrot;1/2C rolled oats;1t mixed herbs;1/4C tomato sauce;1T Worcestershire sauce;1 egg;salt and pepper;

Preheat oven to180C. Combine all ingreds in a bowl or food processor and mix thoroughly. Press firmly into a greased loaf tin or shape into a lof and bake in the oven for 35mins.Cool for 5 mins before turning out and slicing.

Was so easy, I wizzed it in processor and lined a loaf tin with Baking paper....

mallee, Nov 8, 12:21am
I have never used sausage meat in any meatloaf I have ever made. It just doesn't appeal somehow. BOL :-) :-)

motorbo, Nov 8, 12:28am
i dont have measurements, and ive never used sausage meat i just used to make the one my mum made, and when my son was young the more i could hide in it the better e.g. grated courgettes and carrots, garlic is nice in it too, but the key is the topping.....mix equal parts tomatoe sauce and golden syryp and about half quantity of worcheshire sauce mix well and pour over halfway during cooking

crystalmoon, Nov 8, 3:23am
Never use sausage meat in our's,just mince,breadcrumbs,egg,whatever-
else you want to use,onion,garlic,carrot,ect.Al-
so add wholegrain mustard,worchester sauce,soy sauce,then mix well till combined,press into either a laof tin,or we just do baking tray,cover with,either,tomato,hickory,BBQ-
or steak sauce and grated cheese and herbs.Bake at about 180 for 30 mins,till firm,Can release a bit of fat,so just spoon or tip off,cut into portions and serve with salad,mash,chips whatever,easy peasy.Have fun.

greerg, Nov 8, 4:46am
The Destitute Gourmet pork meat loaf is very tasty although not very cheap.
1 medium onion diced, ¼ teasp black pepper, 2 cloves garlic crushed, ¼ cup milk, 2 tbspns oil, 1 teasp mustard powder, 4 slices white bread crumbled, 1-2 teasp sage, 1 egg, 1 teasp salt, 500 grams pork mince, 6 rashers bacon with rind removed

Preheat oven to 200o C.Saute onions and garlic in oil till soft and set aside.Mix all ingredients except pork and bacon thoroughly then add pork.Mix thoroughly.Spread bacon slices on lightly oiled baking paper side by side then from a loaf of the pork mixture down the centre.Wrap bacon slices firmly over loaf and press firmly into shape by wrapping baking paper tightly round.Carefully invert into baking dish removing paper.Bake for 40 mins or until juices run clear.

charlieb2, Nov 8, 4:51am
was just looking at that one earlier greerg... it looks SO yummy

sara134, Nov 8, 6:30am
YUM! these sound great! will give it a go tomorrow for dinner...Thanks heaps everyone :)

odie6, Nov 8, 8:49am
edmonds cook book. And has a nice topping

gardie, Nov 9, 4:40pm
On a cooking show recently I saw that they patted the meat down and turned it quite a few times, continually patting and shaping before baking in the tin.Removing all the air helps with a firmer loaf.

minn1, Nov 10, 4:31am
I havent used sas meat for years,had to 'make do' once and havent bothered since.I add all the usual suspects,onion grated carrot, or zucchinni when the garden is exploding with them, sometimes curry sometimes herbs,bit of tom sauce etc etc, and always, add a couple of eggs, andflour in place of breadcrumbs, till it feels right. You'll know :) I figured that bread was flour based and sas meat had heaps added to it too,and that I think they really just serve to hold it all together....so shortcutted and get a good result. Like lots of things, you discover a new recipe when you discover you dont have the 'right' ingredients. And if it all falls to bits,toss it over spaggetti with a jar of pasta sauce etc, and they'll think you'r a star :D

kiwibubbles, Jul 26, 3:55pm
the one off the meal in a minute website, with the indian flavoured tomatoes in it and worcestshire sauce is omg delicious!!!! Even better cold. I pummel the mince quite a bit before I put it in the oven, as i find it results in a more firm loaf