Can I make a Meatloaf without

jan2242, Nov 4, 10:24pm
breadcrumbs added? Every recipe I have contains either breadcrumbs or rolled oats. Thanks

rainrain1, Nov 4, 10:26pm
Yes, I would give it a go

jan2242, Nov 4, 10:30pm
Thanks. Evert recipe I have seems to have lots of bread in it. Just wondering if the bread holds it together?

rainrain1, Nov 4, 10:37pm
Only one way to find out else I guess, hope it works, I can't guarantee that it will though

kaddiew, Nov 4, 10:53pm
If you Google 'meatloaf without bread' you'll see a whole lot of recipes.

buzzy110, Nov 4, 11:21pm
I only ever made meatloaf from my own made up recipes. I never used breadcrumbs because I didn't know it was supposed to have them.

They always turned out OK but I think that maybe the breadcrumbs are there to absorb meat juices and fat which are released during cooking and prevent 'shrinkage'.

cookiebarrel, Nov 5, 9:32am
I have twice used a sausagemeat square recipe from Alison & Simon Holst's Lunches and Afternoon Snacks booklet as a meatloaf. Once with sausagemeat and once with minced meat. It turned out great and has no breadcrumbs in it just grated veges, egg, cheese and tomatoe sauce.

sla11, Nov 6, 1:01am
Agree with buzzy110 about absorbing fat & juices. I would say mainly to absorb fat as mince isn't what it used to be! More expensive meat would negate any problems. Crunched up Weetbix does the trick if no bread available.

natalie9, Nov 6, 1:35am
I use almond meal in meatballs/meatloaves. Would rather not have the bread in it and works well.

247sam, Nov 6, 9:23pm
Any leftover mashed potato can be used instead of breadcrumbs.

joybells2, Nov 6, 9:54pm
As long as it has something to bind it i.e an egg would be good.

jan2242, Nov 6, 10:07pm
Ok, here's the results. First one I made without anything 'breadlike' in it except egg. Fell apart. Even cold it was not meatloaf. Second one I added sausage meat to the recipe and the egg. Worked great. I guess it is the little bit of bread or whatever in the sausage meat that hold it together?

r-mvz, Nov 7, 1:01am
Meat Loaf

500 to 700g pk of mince
1 pk sausage meat
1 tblsp curry
1 onion diced
2 small carrots grated
1 tblsp tomato sauce
Freshly chopped mint, coriander, basil
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients and put in loaf tin.until cooked. 180oC or less.

Note: I never measure my tomato sauce just give it a good squirt into mixture. Recipe originally said 1 tsp of curry but I preferred 1 tblsp.

pennyo, Nov 7, 5:35am
I never use breadcrumbs.

jbsouthland, Jul 15, 5:04pm
same but have added small amount of left over cooked rice .
I never add an egg either .
In fact anything goes really . I don't think you can go too wrong with meatloaf .