Dripping ok for cooking chips?

Page 2 / 3
elliehen, Nov 7, 3:07am
I go there often, frequently invited here on TM by bedazzledjewels after new vegetarian recipes have been posted :)

toadfish, Nov 7, 3:08am
I find it very useful... I have especially been following the mesclun salad growing... love the use of photos and it has inspired this non gardner to have a go.

accroul, Nov 7, 3:09am
I wish more people would just post when they have something positive to say - rather than adding fuel to a fire - takes all the fun out of it!

elliehen, Nov 7, 3:21am
We can compare notes when I'm 100... Might be problematic though because you'll need to be about 150 ;)

accroul, Nov 7, 3:24am
I wasn't too fussy about who answered my question regarding the dripping - kuaka was first in and did the job nicely (thankyou kuaka). If I asked 'over there' I couldn't be gauranteed to get an answer as quick as I might have needed it- if I needed to go back out and buy lard then I would had less than an hour to do so (my kids eat at5pm).

elliehen, Nov 7, 3:29am
Try texting next time ;)

accroul, Nov 7, 4:11am
You think she (or I) has a cellphone?
Even if I did, I don't have the ph no.s of any other LC'ers - apart from my mother... & she's a noob (& ex WW) so she's not likely to be much help.

accroul, Nov 7, 4:12am
oooooh, duck fat.... now where do I get THAT from? & what does it make chips taste like? never had duck fat before.

davidt4, Nov 7, 4:32am
Whenever I roast a duck I pour off the fat and keep it in the fridge.You get a good cupful from one duck.It's wonderful for frying potatoes, eggs, mushrooms, bacon, and even better if the duck has been roasted with rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaves or other aromatics.

Otherwise you can buy duck fat from some supermarkets or specialty food markets like Farro and Nosh.

eastie3, Nov 7, 4:42am
I'm not keen on duck but just love par boiled agria potatoes roasted in duck fat.I haven't used lard or dripping for probably 20yrs or so when I started using oil instead.I don't even see it in the supermarket but it's probably there,I'm just not looking.I buy duck fat at Moore Wilson in Wellington.

esther-anne, Nov 7, 4:49am
And wasn't it always so damned delicious kuaka???

I am heartened by this thread actually - not even looked at dripping or lard for about 20 years but now I am about to rebel and cook some fries in dripping - unbeatable.

Oh!just remembered - I have no deep fryer!!!Are those great 'chip pans' that were so beloved of us in the UK years ago still available?A good sized pot and a basket that just fitted inside wherein I cooked many magnificent chips, battered fish, fritters etc aeons ago???

elliehen, Nov 7, 5:35am
davidt4 is spot-on.Duck fat comes from a duck ;)

cloudberry, Nov 7, 5:54am
You know, Elliehen, passive-aggressive snark is still snark even if you add a winky emotican.

nfh1, Nov 7, 6:03am
Chip pan - chips from that were just wonderful.My Mum in Lancashire still has a chip pan!

esther-anne, Nov 7, 6:56am
I'm from Lancashire too - even brought my chip pan with me when I came to NZ soooo many years ago now!It's long gone - about the time I switched from the dangerous dripping and lard mentality-lol!!

accroul, Nov 7, 7:36am
Bah-hahaha - yes, duck fat comes from ducks - I'm not THAT stupid ;) - just not clever enough to know what shop would have it - my local supermarket didn't even have lard, so my chances of getting it there are about as slim as shyte from a rocking horse!

esther-anne - I don't have a 'chip pan' let alone a basket. I've used a stock pot in the past (when using vege oil), but last night I used my largest saucepan and 2 454g tubs of dripping. I cooked the chips in 3 batches & each time scooped them out with a slotted spoon into a colander. Once the fat was cool again, I strained in back into the tubs - one is full and the other has about 5mm missing from the top. I could have reclaimed more out of the saucepan, but chose not to.

elliehen, Nov 7, 7:52am
"passive-aggressive"-
is a psychobabble buzz-phrase popularisedhere by the buzz-person ;)

cloudberry, I read your blog occasionally.Did you know that laughter is healing and can help you live longer?

accroul, Nov 7, 7:57am
careful elliehen - you might encourage uli to laugh even more & then she might just reach 150!

elliehen, Nov 7, 8:02am
I did suggest yogic laughter to her once but she was not amused.

uli, Nov 7, 8:09am
Looks like I need to be frank for once ellie - you are an idiot! Not sure why - but this has absolutely nothing to do with "Is Dripping ok for cooking chips?" - so please leave it be!

kuaka, Nov 7, 8:17am
esther-anne - I bought a "proper chip pan" (stainless steel) from the red shed a few years ago, and keep it on our boat.It's marvellous for when we go away and have lots of lovely fresh snapper (beer batter) and chips.Sadly the electric deep fryer I have at home has recently come to grief.It still works well electrically but the handle has gone bung on it, we've tried to fix it, but no go.When you try to lift the basket out of the pan, the handle collapses and the basket drops back into the "oil" (yes, sadly I use oil these days) - but I do always double cook the chips, cook them till they're almost done, then remove them from the heat, allow the oil to get really hot them quickly brown the chips.Yum.I'm starting to suffer from lack of chips - really need to invest in a new deep fryer.

elliehen, Nov 7, 8:48am
For once??And there I was believing you when you said you ALWAYS told it like it was...and fluffy Kiwis didn't...

You're not wearing your moderator hat now, Aunty Uli.Where is that 'ignore' button you're always recommending?

I suggest that if a post bothers you, you let it go over your head rather than up your nose.

elliehen, Nov 7, 9:05am
accroul, I decided to do some Aunt Daisy research (from a very old 1940s cookbook in the days when dripping was all the rage) and it seems that for most purposes, lard and dripping are interchangeable...at least in her recipes.

Here's an interesting example:
CANADIAN WAR CAKE
2 cups brown sugar
3oz lard or dripping
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
1 packet seedless raisins
1 cup powdered cloves
Boil all together for five minutes. When cold, add 3 cups flour and 1 teaspoon soda dissolved in a little hot water.Bake in moderate oven about 45 minutes.

kuaka, Nov 7, 10:03am
that sounds more like an English war-time recipe using lard or dripping because butter was strictly rationed and hard to come by.

elliehen, Nov 7, 10:19am
There are also quite a few butter recipes in this old book, but plenty using lard or dripping.In the end, I guess, shortening is shortening.

Here's another:
DOUGHNUTS
4 tablespoons lard or dripping
1&1/4 cups sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
4 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
1 cup hot mashed potatoes
Cream fat and sugar, add mashed hot potatoes. Beat well. Now add beaten eggs. Sift flour and baking powder, and salt. Add this alternately with the milk. Mix well.Cinnamon may be added.Roll out, cut into rounds.Then cut out centre holes (the top of a lemonade bottle may be used for this).Cook in deep boiling fat till light brown.Turn them. Drain, and roll in powdered sugar.