Homemade chips - what s best to use for cooking?

noonesgirl, Oct 10, 5:29am
oil or Chefade?

rumbledoll, Oct 10, 5:32am
Annabell Langbein cooked them last night.. she cut the spuds into chunky chips then covered in a dusting of flour then poured over about quarter of cup of oil then rubbed it all over then hot oven.

beaker59, Oct 10, 5:37am
lard is best chefade is ok otherwise any oil is ok but a high temp oil is best like rice bran.

pam.delilah, Oct 10, 6:10am
x1
Crunchy Home Made Fries Annabel Langbein
8 medium-large (130-150g each) potatoes
1/4 cup flour
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp flaky salt
ground black pepper

Preheat your oven to 200C/400F fan bake. Line a large, shallow roasting dish with baking paper to allow for easy clean up.

Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunky chips or wedges. Transfer them to the prepared dish, sprinkle them with the flour and toss to evenly combine.

Drizzle the potatoes with oil and toss to coat. Spread out into a single layer in the dish and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour until golden and crisp.

stitch50, Oct 10, 6:24am
I saw that she used starchy potatoes , Can someone tell me the names of the best ones to useplease . thanks .

sultana0, Oct 10, 6:44am
Agria seem to be good spud for crispy chips, the best medium for frying is the old bad ass dripping. Got some spuds at the mo but they dont have a name printed on the bag but they are great. Quite similar to agria I reckon

noonesgirl, Oct 10, 7:24am
Sounds yummy. Thanx pam.

kuaka, Oct 10, 8:09am
I always do my chips in the deep fryer (well I did, but last time I used the deep fryer the handle on the chip basket broke so I'm now on the hunt for a new deep fryer) and always use oil and either "moonlight" or "rua" spuds.Perfic.

auntlb, Oct 10, 9:03am
Im interested in the new 'deep' fryer (saw advert on TV)that cooks a kg of chips in a tablespoon of oil - they look like crunchy deep fried chips - yummy!Anyone got one and does it work?

chell15, May 21, 7:01am
The selection is from the chart that is often printed on the back of 10kg bag of potatoes.
Desiree, Ilam Hardy, Rua, Karaka, Rocket, Sebago, Red Rascal, Agria.