Home made chips

amarni1, Dec 7, 2:11am
ok, can some one wise tell me how to make the perfect home made chips?Do I have to par boil them?What seasonings do you use?Mine never seem to work, always soggy.hints anyone?

rumbledoll, Dec 7, 2:44am
I now use Annabell Langbeins recipe for the perfect chip.

8 medium-large (130-150g each) potatoes
1/4 cup flour
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp flaky salt
ground black pepper

Preheat your oven to 200C/400F fan bake. Line a large, shallow roasting dish with baking paper to allow for easy clean up.

Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunky chips or wedges. Transfer them to the prepared dish, sprinkle them with the flour and toss to evenly combine.

Drizzle the potatoes with oil and toss to coat. Spread out into a single layer in the dish and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour until golden and crisp.

eagles9999, Dec 7, 2:49am
Par boiling is as good a way as any. Just make sure you dont over boil them. Then dry them off with a paper towel, cool a bit, then drop into very hot oil.

maryteatowel1, Dec 7, 2:56am
...i deep fry twice...once to cook them...and then i let them cool...the second to colour and crisp...perfect...

...in the oven i just heat up lard so it is hot...then toss the chips in it and cook on a high temp...only cooking once...

...i know you're not 'suppose' to use lard and fat these days but it's the only way i know how to get really crispy potatoes, especially roasted ones...

greatauntyof2, Dec 7, 3:04am
As rumbelldoll said but make sure you really dry the cut potato in paper towels or a clean tea towel it helps get them crisp. You can also put the chips in a bread bag, put the oil in and shake you can also add paprika, garlic salt, chicken salt etc for extra flavouring. Teenagers love them been making them for years. Don't forget to turn them over.

korbo, Dec 7, 3:22am
my late mum made the most yummy chips. i remember in the school holidays, she would make them and wrap in newspaper and we would picnic on the front lawn.
her secret i think, was...the old black heavy frypan....

madison15, Dec 7, 3:43am
When I was younger a friends mother made the best ever chips and roast potato's ,I have never been able to make mine like hers ever

wish I could

glynsmum, Oct 3, 4:43pm
I used to Peel cut in to chipsPlace on teatowel cover with salt till all the water came out wash off deep fry in oil best chips ever !!!