Pavlova Emergency! Experts help needed

Page 1 / 3
katje, Oct 5, 7:20pm
Im in Canada and wanted to make a Pavlova for my hosts for thanksgiving weekend which is a very big holiday over here. One aunt is making pumpkin pie, one is making Lemocream pie and they asked me to bring a kiwi dessert since Ive been there 20 yearsand I went to the grocery stores to find Caster Sugar only to discover it doesn't seem to exist here.
Im going to have to substitite normal white sugar if Im going tyo make a Pavlova. Has anyone done this and if so how much did you use? Did you do anything to it like grind it down further?

gardie, Oct 5, 7:28pm
Normal sugar is fine - all I ever use.

levintofu, Oct 5, 7:57pm
i use normal sugar and it turns out pretty good.... just bear in mind that if your at altitude you will need to beat the eggs for MUCH longer and add 6tsp of boiling water to your mixture... i usually wait till i got a bit of white going in my one bowl mix and add it while your whisking (pref with an electric beater) or your end up with sugary scrambled egg whites

cookessentials, Oct 5, 8:07pm
Caster sugar will dissolve far more quickly. if you have a food processor or whizz with a metal blade, all you have to do is measure your amount of sugar into the machine and whizz it to break the crystals into a smaller size. Ask for superfine sugar, they may then know what you mean.

juliewn, Oct 5, 11:28pm
Hi..

I use normal sugar too - beat the mix a little longer if it's not dissolved fully when you've beaten the mix the usual time.

Enjoy Canada! :-)

levintofu, Oct 5, 11:28pm
cookessentials did you catch the other post i left for you asking about your spring tin pav etc?

suie1, Oct 6, 3:47am
Make some caster sugar all you need to do is process it until it is finer, what about the icing sugar pav?

jcsolgier, Oct 6, 5:06am
I use a mortar and pestle to grind down normal sugar, but you can also use a food processor

katje, Oct 6, 6:15am
if grindingdown the sugar to make it finer do I change the measurements at all when using normal sugar and grinding it down? Do I use less or more than the recipe (using caster sugar) asks for when substituting ground down normal sugar?

katje, Oct 6, 6:16am
anyone have a full proof recipe to share? Most of them ask for caster sugar, vanilla, vinegar, 3 egg whites, some boiling water

cookessentials, Oct 6, 6:49am
no,sorry...will try and find it now.

marcs, Oct 6, 7:41am
This is fool proof but make sure you beat it (I have a kenwood mixer) so I beat for 15 minutes. I have made it with a hand held beater and beaten it to 20 minutes. Also check to see that you get pure icing sugar, not icing sugar with corn flour in it.

6 egg Whites,
3 Cups Icing sugar OR 1c castor sugar (I use castor sugar)
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug. Add the Boiled Water and vanilla. Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins). Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely and flatten the top slightly). Cook for 2 mintues at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool)

marcs, Oct 6, 7:46am
Another variation which is very decedant isadd 3 tbs of sifted good quality cocoa powder and about 100g of 70% dark choc chunks. I use the same recipe above but make two thin discs out if it. Cook the same way as above. I sandwich together with whipped cream and raspberrys. You can use frozen raspberrys however once decorated let it sit for a bit so that the berries can defrost.

marcs, Oct 6, 7:48am
Make one before hand so that you know what to do. Always yummy to eat.

katje, Oct 6, 7:35pm
Thanks heaps. if Im just using normal sugar not caster sugar is it still one cup?

duckmoon, Oct 7, 2:47am
do you have a food processor?
you can put ordinary sugar in the food processor and make it finer.

shop-a-holic, Oct 7, 3:07am
You can get Castor Sugar in Canada. It's called SUPERFINE sugar. Just as the americans call Icing Sugar "Confectioners Sugar" in the US.Castor sugar is also called Superfine in the US. It will be well worth researching in your local area for it.

shop-a-holic, Oct 7, 3:44am
Pavlova Foolproof Tips
The sugar must be dissolved completely and thoroughly. Take your time adding sugar to the egg whites in a mixer (with a whisk attachment). One dessertspoon at a time, in one minute intervals. After the sugar is in, and you think its thick and glossy, beat for a further 5mins. The whole process will take at least 15 mins maybe more.
* You’ll know when the meringue is stiff and glossy because the mixture will have tripled in volume
and stands up when the beaters are lifted. I then beat for a further 5mins.
* The low heat puffs up the meringue while the long cooking time dries it out to give you a lovely crisp shell.
*"Pile thickly NOT widely and flatten the top slightly", just like the above poster said, as it will spread out 2 inches and drop 2inches in height.
*Never open the oven door until completely cold.
* Store your pavlova, undressed, in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Fold in gently, some Lemon Curd, and the flesh and juice of 5 passionfruit in whipped (soft peaked) double cream. It addes a delightful flavour to the cream.

donnabeth, Oct 7, 4:03am
scoop some mixture out and lick your finger. If it's no longer crunchy it's ready.

I have used ordinary sugar in the past and it never occurred to me to alter the quantities. i don't suppose it makes much difference as when you look at the variety of recipes the sugar can very tremendously.

Good luck with your pav, and enjoy your weekend of international flavours.

katje, Oct 7, 5:50am
awesome guys Im doing a test run tomorow on all your tips. If the test run works then 12 Canadians will sample Pavlova for the first time this thanksgiving weekend and Ill be samplinh pumpkin pie for the first time. fair trade ;)

cookessentials, Oct 7, 6:23am
as mentioned at the beginning.

marcs, Oct 7, 10:16am
A slight type O. should be 1&1/4 cups sugar and you can use normal sugar (same amount). It will dissolve in this recipe.

pickles7, Oct 7, 6:48pm
pavlova....large

6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water............,
Beat until thick and smooth ......approx 15 mins
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)

Quotepickles7 (457 )12:24 pm, Mon 8 Feb #3

This is what we used in our bakery, never failed. Don't have to stand over it, beat 15 minutes, while doing something else, time was money. lol. Good volume, never leaked, more like the ones you buy in the box, marshmallow right through.

buzzy110, Oct 8, 2:12am
This looks like an interesting recipe and I'd like to try it as a 'take-to'. Can you elaborate a teensy weensy bit please? Do you beat the egg whites till stiff first or do you just throw whites and sugar in together and beat 15mins then add the remaining ingredients or does the whole lot go in together and get beaten for 15mins?

juliewn, Oct 8, 4:07am
Hi Buzzy.. I make a similar recipe - everything goes into a large mixer bowl and is beaten for 15 minutes.. it tastes great - a marshmallow type pav with slightly crusty outer.

I pile it on a large flat dish, that I leave it on to decorate and serve from, so it's not needing to be transferred to another plate/platter.. It travels beautifully..