Pavlova Emergency! Experts help needed

Page 2 / 3
juliewn, Oct 8, 4:08am
Hi Katje.. whatever sugar you use, use the same amount as the recipe includes..

Enjoy your time there.. :-)

cookessentials, Oct 10, 7:58am
It goes into a greased 20cm springform. If you want the actual recipe, let me know. It has six egg whites in it and I use malt vinegar.

levintofu, Oct 10, 8:17pm
do you line it? paper/butter/tinfoil?
or does it pull away from the pan?
i imagine it stuck to the inside of the tin and the tin breaking the crust when opening... i should just suck it up and try it :P

cookessentials, Oct 11, 1:35am
No, just grease it, no lining. I shall get you the recipe when i get home, its in my recipe book. It is a Margaret Fulton recipe that I have used for ever and it works out beautifully every time I have made it.

levintofu, Oct 11, 2:30am
you grease it with butter? and it still rises?

buzzy110, Oct 11, 2:50am
Thank you juliewn. Will get to make this novel pav some time before Xmas, I'm sure.

katje, Oct 11, 3:22am
Hurray! I followed al the tips did 3 test runs- first 2 were edible but they were flat as heck - so tried again today and it worked!!!!! No one at the table had heard of Pavlova and they passed over their pumnpkin pies and lemon meringue pies to have a slice, which was covered with cream and kiwi fruit. They all loved it thanks so much everyone!

katje, Oct 11, 3:23am
Thanks again!!!!!!!

cookessentials, Oct 11, 3:30am
Trust me, it will work. I have been making ot for years, It has a nice crunchy outside and a marshmallow centre. The trick is to leave it in the oven till cold. I shall return tonight with the recipe. Do you have a 20cm springform tin? I use a non-stick one.

levintofu, Oct 11, 3:33am
yes armed with 20cm springform but it sticks to normal cakes so i can only imagine will def stick to a pav?
or maybe not? trial and error will prevail.

but i can always do with an excuse for a purchasing expedition.

pickles7, Oct 11, 6:23am
Put all the ingredients in the bowl and beat 15 minutes..... buzzy110....I like the crunchy bits , and prefer to just pile it onto paper.

cookessentials, Oct 11, 6:42am
Pavlova
6x egg whites at room temp.
pinch salt
2 cups caster sugar
1 1/4 tsp vinegar ( use malt vinegar)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat your oven to slow (150C)
Beat egg whites wiith salt on high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1tbsp at a time,beating well after each addition. Stop beating when all sugar has been incorporated and fold in vinegar and vanilla. Pile mixture into a greased 20cm springform tin and lightly smooth the top. Place pavlova into oven and bake 45 minutes,then turn oven off and leave with door shut for one hour. Remove from oven to cool completely at room temp. Remove sides from springform tin. Fill pavlova generously with whipped cream and your choice of topping. I usually do freshly sliced Kiwifruit.

Use a non-stick springform tin and use a light spray around the base and sides using a cooking spray.

cookessentials, Oct 11, 6:44am
Hoping you have an electric beater levintofu? I just have a hand held electric beater.

juliewn, Oct 11, 9:48am
Hi.. :-) congratulations on your Gold Medal achievement :-) bet it tasted good..

For the flattened pavlova's, a form of 'Eton Mess' could be made, using those instead of meringues.. fold broken chunks of pavlova with whipped cream, marshmallows, drained pineapple, chopped set jelly.. whatever you choose.. fold all together and pile in pretty dishes to serve.. enjoy :-)

levintofu, Oct 11, 8:03pm
lol yes i have a cheap electric jobbie but i like to hand beat eggs to a certain point then finish it off with the electric
your recipe sounds easy enough i have sat morning set aside to knock this out :) wish me luck

cookessentials, Oct 11, 8:11pm
You will get better incorporation of the sugar if you use the electric. You wont need luck, it will be fine. Do not drown the tin in spray will you? just a light even coating all over will suffice.

marcs, Oct 13, 4:17am
Glad it worked. Takes a bit of practice. Even if it is flat it still gets eaten.

katje, Oct 5, 7:20pm
Im in Canada and wanted to make a Pavlova for my hosts for thanksgiving weekend which is a very big holiday over here. One aunt is making pumpkin pie, one is making Lemocream pie and they asked me to bring a kiwi dessert since Ive been there 20 yearsand I went to the grocery stores to find Caster Sugar only to discover it doesn't seem to exist here.
Im going to have to substitite normal white sugar if Im going tyo make a Pavlova. Has anyone done this and if so how much did you use! Did you do anything to it like grind it down further!

levintofu, Oct 5, 7:57pm
i use normal sugar and it turns out pretty good. just bear in mind that if your at altitude you will need to beat the eggs for MUCH longer and add 6tsp of boiling water to your mixture. i usually wait till i got a bit of white going in my one bowl mix and add it while your whisking (pref with an electric beater) or your end up with sugary scrambled egg whites

juliewn, Oct 5, 11:28pm
Hi.

I use normal sugar too - beat the mix a little longer if it's not dissolved fully when you've beaten the mix the usual time.

Enjoy Canada! :-)

levintofu, Oct 5, 11:28pm
cookessentials did you catch the other post i left for you asking about your spring tin pav etc!

suie1, Oct 6, 3:47am
Make some caster sugar all you need to do is process it until it is finer, what about the icing sugar pav!

katje, Oct 6, 6:15am
if grindingdown the sugar to make it finer do I change the measurements at all when using normal sugar and grinding it down! Do I use less or more than the recipe (using caster sugar) asks for when substituting ground down normal sugar!

katje, Oct 6, 6:16am
anyone have a full proof recipe to share! Most of them ask for caster sugar, vanilla, vinegar, 3 egg whites, some boiling water

cookessentials, Oct 6, 6:49am
no,sorry.will try and find it now.