Pavlova without vinegar?

kizzier, Apr 16, 5:54am
Can it be done? What could substitute the vinegar? I have no lemons, only lime....and only balsamic vinegar lol..what else could i do??

rainrain1, Apr 16, 6:05am
it will be ok without, try balsamic it might be yummy

kinna54, Apr 16, 8:17am
Might be tempted to try the lime, but no to the baslamic. The vinegar is there to assist in the "holding" of the egg whites I think. it's only a Tsp or so isn't it? Would be tempted to leave it out, maybe it would be more meringue like.Does the mix have cornflour. That should help to "hold" the mix. Have searched my recipes but they all say vinegar.

kizzier, Apr 16, 8:19am
Thanks guys. I realised i had white wine vinegar so i decided to use that instead. We will soon find out! lol

harrislucinda, Apr 16, 10:06am
somerecipesdont havevinegarstill workoutthe same

daleaway, Apr 17, 12:19am
I could never figure out what the vinegar was there for, as I have never used it in pavs.
Pav recipes with cornflour use it as a stabiliser, but I can't see the chemical role of the vinegar.
Can someone enlighten us?

deus701, Apr 17, 12:40am
the vinegar is there to strengthen the eggwhites, some people use vinegar or lime juice to wipe out their mixer bowls to get rid of any fat which may be present as fats prevent the eggwhites from aeration or achieving sufficient volume.

shelley39, Apr 17, 2:24am
I always use white vinega because in Gluten free and they come out the same.

pom-pom, Apr 17, 7:18am
apple cider vinegar is gf i think