Pickling vinegar?

ro42, Jan 7, 3:43am
Anyone know where to get decent strong pickling vinegar? I'm after some that is at least 15%. The stuff available in the supermarkets seems to be getting weaker and weaker, and I reckon must be only about 4% strength. I guess I can add glacial acetic acid to it to make it stronger if I can't find any of the decent stuff - or make my own...

cookessentials, Jan 7, 3:49am

ro42, Jan 7, 3:53am
Thanks - do you know what strength this is, and whether it's been pasteurised? I have finally got fed up with the vinegars this year, but they seem to have been getting progressively weaker for years. I make a pickle like Branston, and pickled onions, and they need good strong vinegar or are just too insipid - my last batch of onions didn't keep well, although the same recipe used to keep for years. I'm told it's the vinegar being too weak, and it certainly tastes like it,

cookessentials, Jan 7, 4:15am
No, sorry, but you may be able to ask them

uli, Jan 7, 5:43am
I make my own from my own cider - and it is about 4 or 5%.

ro42, Jan 7, 6:38am
How long do you let it mature? That's about the same strength of the commercial stuff, but I want about 18%. Having done a bit of reading on this now, it seems I would probably need to leave it about a year. But I'm going to give it a go...

pickles7, Jan 8, 8:38am
I will never buy vinegar again. I used "Bin Inn" malt, for the last brew I made, I cannot tell the difference in taste, just colour. I have made cider, wine and malt vinegar now. The cider I made using "Brigalow Apple Cider" home brew kit. The wine vinegar, I used some home made wine that needed to be used up

wron, Jan 8, 9:22pm
Where did you get your cider kit pickles7?
Have you ever had any of that strange white jelly stuff in your vinegars? I know it's harmless, just looks weird.

ro42, Jan 8, 10:00pm
Thank you! Will give it a go - I should have some good pickling vinegar for next year, anyway. For this year I shall just boost the acetic acid content of the bought stuff.

pickles7, Jan 12, 1:25am
Bin Inn sells it in a tin.
The jelly stuff is "mother of vinegar.
If you put a bottle of wine, 1/4 bottle of water and the live vinegar in a wide mouthed glass bowl, cover so no fruit flies can get in, you will make your first batch of vinegar. It will not take that long. As soon as it forms a thick layer on top, [approx 1 cm] and that layer sinks, it is ready.That is how I got started, I used "Bragg's"cider vinegar, to start mine. I then used the cider I made, then went on to the malt.
I have also made 23 litres of peach wine I was going to convert . It has turned out too good. lol. Some of it will no doubt get put into vinegar as the need a-rises. There is nothing like making sauces, using your own vinegar. I worked it out once to cost 50 cents a litre, even less when you get into making your own wine. A really good hobby.

pickles7, Jan 24, 4:58pm
acetic acid is very expensive.
To intensify the flavour just simmer longer to evaporate more water from the vinegar you buy.