Pickling Onions....

puggy13, Nov 5, 5:54am
Hey!! My mum and I are having a session making these but have never done before. Do you have any recipes for them? We have the onions and the vinegar so far...

grandma, Nov 5, 6:02am
1.5 to 2 kg pickling onions½ cup salt
WaterPeppercorns
ClovesChillies
Malt, spiced or white wine vinegar

Peel pickling onions and place in large non-metallic bowl.Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water.
Cover and leave 24 hours.

Drain well.
Pack onions firmly into clean bottles and invert on a thick newspaper and leave to drain a further 24 hours.

In each bottle put 6 peppercorns, 3 cloves and 3 chillies.
Pour in vinegar to cover onions.
Seal with a cork or non-metallic lid.

Store 6 weeks before use.

The use of white or pale vinegar gives pale onions.
If a sweet pickled onion is wanted, vinegar can be sweetened before use.

jimminette, Nov 5, 6:03am
One Word - Edmonds

mackenzie2, Nov 5, 6:06am
Here is the two I use...
HONEY PICKLED ONIONS = 1 quart white vinagar, 1 cup honey, 1 TBSP salt,Heat all together, then cool, pour over peeled onions packed in jars, Leave for 1 mth before using.

CURRY PICKLED ONIONS = Boil 2 pints vinagar, with 1 lb sugar, add the following which you have premixed in a jar, 1 Tbsp curry, 1 dsp all spice, 2 tsp tumeric, 1 dsp ground gloves, 2 dsp mustard and 2 Tbsp flour, mix all with a little vinagar, cook for 5 mins, then into onions already packed in jars, If you prefer softer onions, put them into the mixture and cook for 3 mins

grandma, Nov 5, 6:07am
Here's one I copied out from "whitehead" that you may like to try.
Instant pickle onions for sammys.Boil 2 cups brown vinegar with 1 cup brown sugar and a tea spoon of pickling spice for 10mins ,Slice large jumbo onions and pack in jar. Tip hot vinegar over and you can eat in an hour flat. Onion rings sit well on sammys . They are better the next day. I’ve never kept them for more than a week, they just go so its easy to make more. You don’t have to cry over heaps of onions. I’ve enjoyed them with all sorts of vinegar and more and less brown sugar - good luck and enjoy.- whitehead.

puggy13, Nov 5, 6:07am
hard to believe but not everyone has an Edmonds!! :)

Just wanted a tried and true recipe

puggy13, Nov 5, 6:09am
mackenzie2 do you soak your onions overnight?

mackenzie2, Nov 5, 8:48am
Ooops sorry just back from a wedding catering meeting (Just love catering for weddings)
With the curry onion one I sprinkle salt onthe onions overnight, drain off the liquid then continue as above, you don't have to do this, I sometimes do and sometimes don't doesn't seem to change the flavour.

korbo, Nov 5, 6:34pm
grandma, we make these, but add 1 cup of sherry or port, and they dont last long in our house. so easy and tasty.

whiskey13, Oct 15, 3:41am
Bumping cos i will need this thread once my onions have finished soaking

boydngreen, Oct 16, 1:29am
I use 1/2 kg of honey and a cup of brown sugar with 1 greggs pickling spice pack for every 2 litres of malt vinegar, boil for 2 mins then strain and leave to cool.This can be stored indefinitly, ready to pour over prepared onions packed in sterile jars.Makes a sweeter onion, but very popular in our house!

puggy13, Nov 5, 5:54am
Hey! My mum and I are having a session making these but have never done before. Do you have any recipes for them! We have the onions and the vinegar so far.

mackenzie2, Nov 5, 6:06am
Here is the two I use.
HONEY PICKLED ONIONS = 1 quart white vinagar, 1 cup honey, 1 TBSP salt,Heat all together, then cool, pour over peeled onions packed in jars, Leave for 1 mth before using.

CURRY PICKLED ONIONS = Boil 2 pints vinagar, with 1 lb sugar, add the following which you have premixed in a jar, 1 Tbsp curry, 1 dsp all spice, 2 tsp tumeric, 1 dsp ground gloves, 2 dsp mustard and 2 Tbsp flour, mix all with a little vinagar, cook for 5 mins, then into onions already packed in jars, If you prefer softer onions, put them into the mixture and cook for 3 mins

grandma, Nov 5, 6:07am
Here's one I copied out from "whitehead" that you may like to try.
Instant pickle onions for sammys.Boil 2 cups brown vinegar with 1 cup brown sugar and a tea spoon of pickling spice for 10mins ,Slice large jumbo onions and pack in jar. Tip hot vinegar over and you can eat in an hour flat. Onion rings sit well on sammys . They are better the next day. I’ve never kept them for more than a week, they just go so its easy to make more. You don’t have to cry over heaps of onions. I’ve enjoyed them with all sorts of vinegar and more and less brown sugar - good luck and enjoy.- whitehead.

puggy13, Nov 5, 6:07am
hard to believe but not everyone has an Edmonds! :)

Just wanted a tried and true recipe

puggy13, Nov 5, 6:09am
mackenzie2 do you soak your onions overnight!

mackenzie2, Nov 5, 8:48am
Ooops sorry just back from a wedding catering meeting (Just love catering for weddings)
With the curry onion one I sprinkle salt onthe onions overnight, drain off the liquid then continue as above, you don't have to do this, I sometimes do and sometimes don't doesn't seem to change the flavour.

pickles7, Nov 5, 8:09pm
anyone else a recipe to add!

kokopuff, Nov 6, 12:50am
This is my Mums recipie from i dont know where, but she makes the best pickled onions in the world.

6lbs peeled pickling onions
3 Tbl of salt
2 pints of water.
Peel onions and put them in a container (pot) of salt and water overnight, the next day rinse off and put them into jars.

Brine
2 pints of spiced white vinegar
3/4 of a pint of water
1 1/2 lbs of sugar
Beat together until sugar dissolves.
Pour the brine into the jars of onions and seal.
Ready in 4 weeks.
It's a killer waiting for 4 weeks but well worth it.
enjoy.

fogs, Nov 7, 11:52am
my recipe is easy very much tried and tested over and over again,
Peel pickling onions,place in a jar and cover with malt vinegar, Put 1 tspn off prepared pickling spice (available from most supermarkets in the greggs boxes) leave in a dark place for at least 6 weeks,
They are fantastic and no soaking in brine overnight can make 2 or 3 jars in half an hour,

otterhound, Nov 8, 4:02am
If you can find spiced, malted vinegar (Bin Inn used to have it but not now) just pack peeled onions in a jar and top right up with the spiced malted vinegar.Lid on and leave at least 2 weeks - the longer the better.Incredibly easy, especially considering the price of bought ones.Can also use spiced white vinegar but they don't end up tasting as strong (could be a good thing for some people I guess).If you feel inclined, add whole, peeled cloves of garlic or chillies.