Can We Live Without Onions - Ode to Onions

Page 1 / 2
buzzy110, Jun 16, 11:13pm
When I was growing up I was never told just how pervasive the humble onion was. In most savoury recipes, the humble onion is usually one of the main ingredients.

No one making stock would even consider doing it without onion. Read any ingredients label on most sauce, marinade or similar products and onions will always feature.

Who, like me, thinks that onions are actually more often used than any other vegetable on the planet in Western cooking?

carriebradshaw, Jun 16, 11:20pm
I dont think there would be many dishes that I would make without onion . It's one thing I always make sure I have in my pantry. In winter time they always go in stews etc and in summer I love them with salad.

It would definately be one of the most used veg around.

margyr, Jun 16, 11:22pm
use onions everyday just about here! marvellous things.

calista, Jun 16, 11:24pm
If you have a ticklish or sore throat slice onions and sprinkle sugar over them. Leave until juice is extracted and drink it slowly. It does help.

maxwell.inc, Jun 16, 11:27pm
I like the little ones - Shallots - they are super evil to peal and chop up though so I wear anti fog swimming goggles while chopping.

Nope not kidding LMAO its that or stand there sobbing with knife in ur hand (not a good look LOL)

buzzy110, Jun 16, 11:32pm
Baaah. You standing at the kitchen bench in a pair of swim goggles makes a very funny picture in my head. Do you wear fins on you feet as well?

buzzy110, Jun 16, 11:33pm
Just check out the Vegetarian recipes thread. There are 97 post, thus far, mostly recipes and only 15 recipes that don't have onions in one form or another - onions, red onions, spring onions, shallots and onion powder.

buzzy110, Jun 16, 11:35pm
As a low carber, I have to admit that the vegetable I really won't do without is the humble onion.

I love to use the small pickling onions and throw them whole, in the last ½hr of cooking of any roast or stew. And I usually don't confine myself to just one. No. I like about 3 to myself and DH can eat more.

maxwell.inc, Jun 16, 11:47pm
Only if its raining!

marcs, Jun 17, 12:20am
food without onion is bland is this house.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 17, 1:14am
They are carby though Buzzy! Actually the vege I can't do without is cauli.

timturtle, Jun 17, 1:20am
They are carby, but they also have a high fibre count, so they aren't bad if you measure in net carbs are they ? and for what punch they give per weight ? ?

maxwell.inc, Jun 17, 1:33am
Food Item:Onions, raw
Food Quantity: 1 cup
Carbs: 16. 2g
Dietary Fiber: 2. 2g
Net Carbs: 14g

civilfawlty, Jun 17, 2:10am
onions are our best food for keeping cancer away. so i read.

timturtle, Jun 17, 2:55am
On Calorie King they are :

Nutrition Facts
1cup, chopped

(What's CD) CD:
Calories 36( Kilojoules 152 )

% Daily
Value*
Total Fat 0. 1 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 13 mg 1%
Carbohydrate 5. 5 g 2%
Sugars 5. 5 g
Dietary Fibre 2. 5 g 10%
Protein 2. 0 g
Potassium 195. 6 mg

Where are you getting your info from maxwell ? I don't know who is right. Calorie King is an Oz site

timturtle, Jun 17, 4:38am
Just went back to calorie king and for 100g they say 4. 6g Carb Fibre 2. 1g

Have just looked at the frozen diced onion in the supermarket :

Pams say 4. 9g/100
Woolies say 6. 5g/100

neither product lists fibre

Frozen diced garlic was 33. 1g/100

maxwell.inc, Jun 17, 5:06am
here

http://www.carbs-information.com/carb-vegetables/carbs-in-on
ion.htm

I get all my carb info there.

So whos right? because if yours are. . then they arnt carb heavy at ALL

timturtle, Jun 17, 5:09am
I wouldn't have a clue, I bought the PAMS frozen diced and am going to try them out in a Pataks curry paste for tea tonight. I'll use 100g they were only $1. 89 / 500g

buzzy110, Jun 17, 5:35am
I always believed them to be carb heavy because of the quantity I use, however, the ever so humble onion is one vegetable I really don't want to do without.

King Lear's daughter may have risked her father's wrath by choosing salt as her most treasured thing ever, but I don't think she went far enough.

Salt, chocolate and onions are top of my most treasured food items and IMO the onion is more of a staple than rice, potatoes or wheat.

maxwell.inc, Jun 17, 5:45am
hmm I am finding conflicts now

Carbs in brown onion 100g (the regular one we mostly use)3g net

same goes for red onion

Shallots differ also . . one site says 15. 49 g per 100g another says 17g per 100g

*gives up* lucky I don't count carbs hard out or I'd go nuts. . I eat mainly Paleo anyway which is just lower carb by default.

timturtle, Jun 17, 5:48am
I'm the same low carb NOT no carb, and i just use smaller amounts of onions.

beaker59, Jun 17, 7:45am
I love onions and buy them by the sack not on price but on quality if they feel nice and firm then get a sack irespective of price and you will always have an onion in the house. I use them every day in all ways the brown ones but also buy a few others from time to time like red onions and at the moment leeks are cheap as. I don't care what carbs they have :)

maxwell.inc, Jun 17, 8:42am
Onions, Garlic and potatoes are my downfall when buying in bulk. . no matter what I do. . NO matter. . they grow. . onions and garlic will shoot up and potatoes start growing legs and walking off after a week... doesn't matter what I try, what advise i follow, what container they are in they GROW

So I buy what I need weekly, otherwise its just a waste of money binning them all

elliehen, Jun 17, 8:57am
I have a Deadwood, South Dakota, Centennial Recipe Cookbook with a recipe for getting rid of chillblains - put fried onions in your socks and wear them to bed ;)

Haven't tried it myself, although Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickok, who are buried in the cemetery on Boot Hill there, might well have...

allganic, Jun 17, 10:48am
I'd add leeks into a great must-have for winter soups and stews and with cheese sauce or grated cheese sprinkled over - or with scalloped potatoes. . I use the green parts too - just take off the very top and the outside part.