Tripe n onions

pickles7, Jul 31, 7:23am
Well I have been told, cook the stuff in the slow cooker in the garage, all darned night. lol. No problems, except I reckon there will be a line up of deprived folks, outside the garage door by morning.

firemansgirl, Jul 31, 7:35am
I think you'd have to be fairly deprived to consider eating it.....

newtec1, Jul 31, 8:07am
Yummy, I have just had tripe for dinner, if you want to loose the smell ,put a little currie in with it or a lot if you like currie.You don't need to cook it for too long,about 1 1/2 hours on simmer.Add onions,grated corrots ,herbs or whatever takes your fancy.After it has cooked for 1 1/2 hrs reduce the water and replace it with milk and thicken. Yum !!

newtec1, Jul 31, 8:09am
I did hear if you cook it too long it tends to become tougher.?

jessie981, Jul 31, 8:25am
Yum gotta have mashed potatoes too.

destiny6nz, Jul 31, 8:28am
no wayyyyyyyyyy**holds nose**

newtec1, Jul 31, 8:28am
Yep, or rice.

anne1955, Jul 31, 8:48am
I love it..where did you get it..mostly it all goes over seas.I put the upchopped piece into pot cover with water put lid on pot bring to boil...turn off and wait to boil has stopped..do this 3 times..THEN..leave to cool or you can handle it to cut into pieces.. put butter into pot with milk, and onions add pieces and simmer for about 30mins..thinken with a cornflour and milk mix and parsley and serve with mashed spuds...and I love black sauce on it...yummy

nik12, Jul 31, 8:52am
Never eaten it myself, but Dad liked it. When he was really crook with terminal cancer he asked for it.. and the self crusting quiche that he'd always turned his nose up when I was growing up! Mum laughed and said she knew he liked it, coz any extra in the fridge would always vanish over night.
Sorry OT, but totally funny memory!
He also like black pudding, and sweet breads which I did like!

pickles7, Jul 31, 9:32pm
The tripe did not smell, while it cooked in the slow cooker.
Well it cooked all night on low, it is tender, changed the water, added salt, pepper, more water, and will give it enough time to come to a simmer. I will then turn off the pot, drain off the water, cool, chop, add onions and enough milk to cover and will finish cooking it, later tonight.
....anne1955 ....this tripe is rubbish, I got it cheap. It needed way more cooking than, honeycomb tripe. I have managed to buy two lots of nice tripe, from the local butchers in the last three weeks. This lot I am cooking has been jumping around in my freezer for a few months, coz it is not "honey-comb tripe".

anne1955, Aug 1, 1:05am
hehe that brings back a time gone past a friend gave me some frozen tripe once it was frozen so I put it in my freezer and somehow it got forgotten about!! And when I thrawed it...well not nice almost put me off for good..but luckly it didn't ..have been able to but any even from local butcher in the small town I live in said it all goes overseas...another things and I see it coming to light now on tv shows is pork,calf cheeks, slow cooked in a casserole they are devine as are mutton or lamb necks.I used to get 3 for 4.99 to die for granted ugly then a british chef used them now they are more than 4.99 each...and as for lamb shanks well I use to cook them when I got them as a student in bags of dog bones from the butcher 2 bucks a bag and at least 2 in a bag..oh those where the days...can't even get a freebie rabitthese days..

pickles7, Aug 1, 1:10am
lol , yep..The EEEEEEFFFFFFFF'N chef he has a lot to answer too.

porky____new_zea, Aug 6, 10:40am
wash well add salt & lemon juice and tenderise in Pressure cooker,say 3/4 hour Cut into strips and white sauce as normal Add a bit of curry powder to white sauce

Have at least twice month wife goes nuts 8/8/2011