Tripe & Onions

oldgramps1, Aug 17, 1:08am
x2
Cany any one tell me a good recipe forTripe & Onions. Used to love it but havn't had for some time now

margyr, Aug 17, 3:02am
have only eaten it once, had a craving when pregnant, but as a kid used to help Grandma make it, she chopped it up, brought the salted water to the boil tipped that water out and did that a couple more times, then she would cook it (sorry cant remember for how long), she would also make a parsley and onion white sauce and put the tripe in that once cooked.

margyr, Aug 17, 3:03am
here is a recipe from google;600ml (1 pint) Milk
450g (1lb) Dressed Tripe, washed
25g (1oz) Butter
3 Medium Onions, sliced
3 tbsp Plain Flour
1 Bay Leaf
Pinch Grated Nutmeg
Fresh Parsley

Place the tripe in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
Bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat, drain.
Rinse under cold running water.
Cut into 2. 5cm (1 inch) pieces.
Place the tripe, milk, onions, bay leaf and nutmeg into a saucepan.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
Remove from the heat, strain and reserve the liquid.
Keep the tripe and onions warm.
Melt the butter in the saucepan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 2 minute, stirring constantly.
Make the liquid up to 600ml (1 pint) with milk or cream, gradually add to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce thickens.
Garnish with parsley.

seniorbones, Aug 17, 4:43am
OMG... . can you stand the smell, my sil was cooking it one day while I was at her house having my hair permed, yes it was a long time ago, the smell was worse than the perm solution, mum used to cook it but thankgoodness I was at school or work when she did so never go to see what she did and dont want to either now! YUK

245sam, Aug 17, 5:09am
x3
oldgramps1, are you interested in a microwave recipe for Tripe & Onions? :-))

landylass, Aug 17, 9:13am
x1
Yum, I just bought some last week. Our local butcher produced it.
Thanks for that receipe.

spongeypud, Aug 17, 10:39am
x1
If you cook it in water it pongs, but if you cook it in milk it's completely different. I slice mine into thin strips unlike my Mum who use to cut it into cubes.

oldgramps1, Aug 17, 11:51pm
245 sam

Many thanks would appreciate the microwave version. Sorry for the delay in replying.

245sam, Aug 18, 12:11am
that's ok oldgramps1 - no apology necessary. Here's the recipe... .

MICROWAVED TRIPE AND ONIONS - please see note
500g tripe
water
2 onions, finely sliced into rings

Place the chopped tripe into a casserole dish. Cover with hot water and microwave, covered, on HIGH (100% power) for 4-5 minutes. Drain off the liquid and remove the tripe from the casserole dish, then set it aside.
Place the onions into the casserole dish and cover them with water. Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 3-4 minutes. Add the tripe, cover and microwave on MEDIUM (70% power) for a further 6-8 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes. Set aside to stand. Meanwhile make the

White Sauce:
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk
3 tbsp finely chopped parsley

Melt the butter in a 2 cup jug on HIGH (100% power) for 30-60 seconds. Add the flour and salt. Stir together for 30-60 seconds, until the mixture bubbles. Slowly stir in the milk. Microwave on HIGH (100% power) for 2½-3 minutes, stirring every minute. Add the parsley. Stir.
Drain off the water from the tripe and stir it into the white sauce. Serve immediately.
Note:This recipe is 20+ years old, when microwaves were not so powerful, therefore some adjustment may be needed. The microwave used for testing this recipe had an output of 650W.

I personally detest tripe but I have used the recipe when I helped my tripe-loving youngest brother to cook this in his just acquired/our ex-microwave and it must have been good - he ate the lot in one meal! !
I hope you enjoy the tripe cooked this way as much as he did. :-))

porky____new_zea, Aug 6, 10:34am
I find the best way to tenderise tripe is use a pressure cooker ,put tripe in whole ,salt and lemon juice cook say 3/4hr,then make up as normal
Readilly available in Auckland New Zealand ,my wife hates me cooking it .using press cooker helps with smaell
Good luck have it at least twice a month