Can We Live Without Onions - Ode to Onions

Page 2 / 2
emmapear, Jun 17, 10:52am
I lived without onions for over 10 years... hindus believe onions and garlic are in the "mode of passion" or rajasic so not good for those wanting to be celibate or live a sattvic or good life. I used hing/asafetida instead for flavour.

reia, Jun 17, 10:56am
I love onions! !

Saute'ed/fried are my favourite.

Raw with cornbeef or sardines in a sandwich or on toast (yes I do realise how yucky that may sound to some, but I love it lol)

ruby19, Jun 17, 7:57pm
Onions are definitelya must have in our house probably followed closely by garlic. I buy the big bags in winter as they last, in summer I buy by the 2kg or free flow but the same quantity. There are very few meals I put together with out onions being in the ingredients, actually at the moment I can only think of 1!

daisyk, Jun 17, 8:36pm
Onions are the mighty vegetable in our house. Certainly a day doesn't go past that onions in some form or another aren't used. Soups, salads, casseroles . . . I'm beginning to believe my mother, she used to say our family was healthy and this could be because we had onions everyday.

gavin166, Jun 18, 4:36am
I love onions, raw and cooked, and they are consumed probably daily here! Am loving cheese and onion sarnies at the mo.
have a great onion and garlic cookbook called "Oh for an Onion".

eastie3, Jun 18, 4:46am
I can't imagine life without onions, in the kitchen at least. Sometime in threads about your most hated food, onions are listed and I wonder just how bland their food must be.

I buy small amounts at a time and keep them in thevege crisper drawer in the fridge, and have no tears when I cutinto them. Oh, and I love the Aristocrat brand of pickled onions, they use white vinegar. The one thing I do dislike is pickled onions with curry powder, vile.

buzzy110, Jun 18, 5:26am
What would steak be without a pile of beautifully browned onion rings. And while I can be quite disdainful of all sorts of apparently irresistible desserts, cakes and biscuits, I actually struggle to say no to battered onion rings. I do of course, but I feel really bad for ages afterward. In fact I have even been known to wake in the middle of the night full of regret that I passed up this tasty snack. lol

andrea1978, Jun 18, 6:00am
love onions! raw or cooked. but also use garlic, cumin, chilli, ginger and fresh coriander and mint. love these things!

andrea1978, Jun 18, 6:01am
Try tomato and onion (raw) in a sandwich with just butter and s&p - yum!

fisher, Jun 18, 7:39am
buzzy... it's incredible the amount of recipes that call for onions . . Primarily as a base for flavour... ... Red onions, shallots, spring onions, green onions are used so often and we have become accustomed to reaching into the onion bin without thinking... :} well I have anyways. .
I would love to try VIDALIA onions as my wifey remembers from her younger days back in the southern states of the USA. . A yellow onion with a sweet flavour first grown in Georgia USA in the 1930's

toadfish, Jun 18, 9:00pm
One of our local restaurants is famous for it's Onion Mumm. The onion is cut it in a certain way then crumbed and deep fried, the result is the Onion looks like a chrysanthemum and in the middle they put dipping sauce, so you just pull off the "Petals" dip in the sauce and eat... Haven't had one in years but it was delicious, especially if you like crumbed or battered onion rings to begin with.

http://upload. wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Blo
oming_onion. jpg/400px-Blooming_onion. jpg

Like this but our restaurants ones don't seem to open as much and the sauce is just in the middle.

Also the smell of frying onions in a campsite... . . love it.

buzzy110, Jun 18, 9:12pm
Yep. fisher, like you I automatically reach for my trusty onions when preparing the evening meal. I think those teachers at school who went on and on about staples (rice, potatoes and bread) completely failed to understand that the onion is as much, if not more, of a staple than those other things.

I remember a few years back when we actually had a shortage of onions and they became quite expensive (for a staple that is). I used to lay awake at night scheming about how I could ensure I had a continuous supply without breaking the budget.

Funny that because, after all, it is only onion and no one actually cares about them until there aren't any available. A bit like water and salt I guess. The three greatest workhorses in any cuisine and we take them for granted and don't give them a second thought.

buzzy110, Jun 18, 9:16pm
Have spent the last 10 years or so camping over the summer in the back of beyond. I have to remember to take everything I require because obtaining them requires hours of travelling which I rather not do, given that I am on holiday from shopping.

One of the first things to get packed istwo or three week supply of onions - brown, red and spring. Also sneak in some garlic as well. It is not unknown for other campers to go about the camp trying to scrounge the odd onion because they've run out.

guanoloco, Jun 18, 9:23pm
No way I can do without them, I don't think there is a single other vegetable that I can say I use at more or less EVERY meal.
I went to stay at a frineds place a couple of months ago, for 2 weeks and was horrified to find she had NO onions, (I cooked the 2 weeks I was there), as she said she didn't like them. Well I fed her onions damn near every day I was there, and she enjoyed every meal I served

fisher, Jun 18, 11:42pm
Buzzy... a lot of people dont know the magic of a roasty onion...
I just nip one end (med sized onion per person) with a knife and leave the other attached. . Peel all the outer brown off apart from the last layer. . This keeps the onion complete while being roasted. . Roll around in olive oil and into roasty pan 1/2 way through the roasts cooking time, turning when looking browned. . a "sweet" flavour sensation. .

beaker59, Aug 17, 12:07pm
mmmmmmmmmmmm roast onions I just cut mine in half and throw them in with the rest of the roast veg. My wife is a big fan of an onion cut in half beside her all the time to sniff at when she has the flue says it works though I prefer to eat them. I usually have them raw on every salad and also on the side often just slice into rings and soak in Malt vinegar. Todays chicken soup will have 4 onions in it a bulb of garlic and a leek. the onions when they cook right down give a nice mouth feel to the soup.