Mussels in vinegar like on a marae

meishah, Dec 22, 5:43pm
does anyone have this recipe please?

horizons_, Dec 22, 6:39pm
Just to the left you will see a search bar. Type in mussels (keyword) and anythime (date posted) and you will find any amount of recipes for using mussels.

petal1955, Dec 22, 7:54pm
I cooked them inthe microwave just place in a supermarket bag till the shells open around 3-4 mins.then I put them into a container and in a jug add brown suagr and vinegar (either malt of white) and some crushed garlic.heat in the microwave until sugar is dissolved and them pour over mussels refrigerate and these are ready to eat after 12 hours of marinating.

vtired, Dec 22, 9:15pm
Steam them open reserving a little strained liquid 1/2 cup and put in bowl, cover with half malt and spiced vinegar, sliced red onions, s & p and a little sugar, mix together and put in fridge to chill, beautiful.
When you taste test it should have a slight sweetness w a hit of vinegar ... sweet and sour. Do not water down as this will ruin the flavour.
Yummy

iriegirl, Dec 23, 1:00am
mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....and add some chilli!

buzzy110, Dec 23, 1:14am
Personally I prefer them without the sugar. We have always just steamed open the mussels, placed in a suitably sized bowl with cut up red onions (onions optional) and covered with plain malt vinegar. I think the sugar is a relatively new thing that I have just never acquired a taste for.

venna2, Dec 23, 2:50am
I don't like them with sugar either.

I used to collect dozens of pipis and tuatua and would bottle the extra in vinegar - they keep for some time.

pickles7, Dec 23, 7:41pm
Be very careful.
A lady died after eating bottled mussels, a few years ago.
The acidity of the vinegar is cruciaL, I wouldn't add any water, if I intended to keep them a while..

venna2, Dec 23, 8:37pm
You're right, pickles, water shouldn't be added. And even in vinegar and spices, maybe they shouldn't be kept more than a few weeks. I wonder if the ones that the lady ate were fresh when gathered? You have to make sure that they are, and it's probably best to avoid the ones whose shells are already open, and the ones whose shells don't open when heated. Having said all that, I'm no expert, though.

vtired, Dec 9, 6:03pm
I only add about 1 tsp sugar it just takes the edge off the vinegar. And I do not always add juice from cooking mussels, depends on how I feel as usually one would not know the difference any how.