Bacon wrapped mussels

mountaingirl, Dec 17, 1:40am
Hi,I want to do these for xmas day to have on the bbq.Do the mussels have to be fresh in their shells or can they be the marrinated ones in pots.Any other different or special bbq idea would be appreciated.Thanks

prawn_whiskas, Dec 17, 2:00am
Definitely go for fresh ones.. marinaded ones would be absolutely awful recooked and covered in bacon.

You can steam them until cooked the day before, pop them out of their shells and store them in the poaching liquor in the fridge until the next day.

mountaingirl, Dec 17, 2:37am
Thanks,thats a good idea about doing it the day before and storing them in the poaching liquid.How long before they are cooked on bbq could I prepare them,could I wrap them in bacon in the morning and keep them covered in fridge until that night.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 17, 4:20am
Yep that would be fine.. as long as your fridge is as cold as it should be then I cant see any problems with that. I'd just steam them until the shells are have just opened.. so you may need to pick them out as they open, that way the mussels will still be a little under done and will finish off on the BBQ.

mackenzie2, Dec 17, 4:29am
We often use the marinated ones (garlic particually) and wrap them in bacon, Yummy....
I also do them fresh in the half shell with chopped fatty bacon and grated cheese, just sprinkle on top and under the grill until golden, Really nice and simple. (I never have any left over when I make these) I have also done them with different toppings but this one is by far the most popular

mackenzie2, Dec 17, 4:30am
Another way we often serve mussells (fresh in full shell) is to bring to the boil a bottle of "Sprite" (has to be sprite!!) then add fresh mussells out when they start to open, they are soft, tender and taste of a lemon.

billierose, Dec 17, 8:03am
Grab salad looking for a recipe for christmas day can anyone help me?

mountaingirl, Dec 17, 8:47pm
Thanks mackenzie,I will buy some marinated garlic ones on Monday and have a trial run.I know fresh mussels would be best,but because Im in the country I really dont want to be going into town on xmas eve to buy fresh mussels.I will give your other recipe a go at another time,when things are less hetic.Merry xmas to all !

margyr, Dec 17, 9:40pm
You can also buy whole shelled frozen ones. My only thought with using marinated ones is that they will need to cool slightly before eating or the vinegar fumes may choke people, this I know from when someone did battered marinated ones, they were tasty but on the first bite when really hot the fumes made us all cough.

mackenzie2, Nov 9, 4:04pm
I buy frozen half shell ones at the locally Talleys big box for $8 you get about 80 per box, I also live rural and it is something I always have in the freezer. Merrry Christmas to you and yours also