What to do wiht mussels (in shells)

madeley, Jan 5, 4:46am
I just got some and I have no clue what to do with themhaha.what is a nice and easy but yum way of cooking them?tks

delate, Jan 5, 5:24am
Chuck them on the BBQ in their shells and tip over melted butter and garlic mixed as they start to open, or you can't go wrong with sweet chilli sauce tipped over them on the BBQ as well.

rainrain1, Jan 5, 6:03am
watch masterchef right now

rainrain1, Jan 5, 6:09am
Whoops you had better not, they are not doing a good job of the mussels hee hee

jag5, Jan 5, 7:47am
Steam them open on BBQ or in a pot then pour over warmed cream with loads of garlic in it.

Ohhhhh mouth watering as I type ......LOL

bunny51, Jan 5, 7:56am
WEe had some bbq'ed last night. Very yummy, they were too lol

2tigger, Jan 5, 8:06am
1 can of coconut milk - 1 packet of maggie seafood soup - S&P and a dash of chilli - boil til open hmmmmmm wonderfull

malta, Jan 5, 8:17am
any that dont open throw them out, they are dead already and may be unsafe to eat

helpless, Jan 5, 11:37pm
I like marinated mussels

The method,,This is for about 25 Mussels.
Large pot with a bit of water on the stove..Steam them open..2-3mins is enough.
Run under cold water and remove all the tough bits..beard etc and the bit that holds them in the shell. Sieve a bit of the left over water and save it for the marinade..say a cup.

My chucked together Marinade:

Half a cup of Olive oil,,maybe a quater of some salad type oil as well.
Quater cup of white and quater of malt vinegar.
Juice of a lemon or two or less and some of the grated skin.
Quarter to a half a cup of the left over boiling liquid.
Bit of chopped parsley..your call on the amount.
Bit of chopped red onion bit of chopped white..your call on the amount.
Half a chopped up Tomato,,bit more maybe.
Couple of desertspoons of sugar.,,bit less maybe.
Pinch of Cayenne pepper..bit more if you want bite.
Couple of chopped up cloves of Garlic.
Combine that lot and chuck in the Mussels.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
It's a guesstimate marinade that so do as you like with the amounts..it'll still be good

beaker59, Jan 9, 12:59pm
Shell the raw mussels with a small thin knife, this is a bit tricky but when you get the knack its quite quick and easy. cut the beard out of each mussel discard the water and then cut into 4 pieces.To a dozen mussels add finely chopped onetomato an onion and a bunch of fresh corriander(or parsley or whatever herbs you like Basil is nice too) then one beaten egg and a pinch or two of curry powder a 1/4tsp of baking powder and 3 or 4 tablespoons of flour test fry a bit if not binding add a little more flour but be careful we don't want to make mussel flavoured pancakes.

Mix well and fry in butter till golden brown small ones are nice for party finger food or larger for lunch or dinner nice served with sweet chilli sauce.

Other nice aditions for those who want are chopped chillies, crushed garlic or ginger