Does vinegar have an expiry date??

k_stuart, Feb 20, 3:45am
Bought some red wine vinegar maybe 6mths ago and I can't find an expiry date on it but just went to use it and it is full of mould!

elliehen, Feb 20, 4:23am
It might be a 'mother' in there, which is a slimy gelatinous thing that is quite harmless ;)

Poster pickles7 is the vinegar expert in here - she makes her own.

kiwibubbles, Feb 20, 4:27am
haha funny that - i was just wondering if my white vinegar was off, because some slimy stuff came out today!! I feel reassured now.

nfh1, Feb 20, 4:30am
So would you just strain it out?

Vinegar does not seem to be like vinegar used to be - if that makes any sort of sense.

k_stuart, Feb 20, 4:33am
No it is actually mouldy. You can smell it. There is lot's on cloudy sediment in it and you can see the mould on the surface.

nfh1, Feb 20, 4:47am
Yes I have had the same - I threw mine away, but previously I have kept it for ages, could it be the weather?

pickles7, Feb 20, 6:25am
scary, I would throw it out.
Slim, on the other hand is "mother of vinegar". Strain it out and the vinegar will be fine. Start making your own. Put 3 glasses of wine 1 glass of water into a preserving jar, along with the slime, cover with a clean hanky or something similar, tie it so fruit flies cannot get in, and put into a dark place. You will have fun watching your vinegar develop. You will know when its made. A great way to use up left over wine. Beer , will make a malt vinegar, don't add any water to the beer.

kuaka, Feb 20, 10:42pm
left over wine ?? What's that, never heard of it, never have it!

gr8stuf4me, Feb 20, 11:03pm
Hi there, I had similar problems with my vinegar until someone told me to keep it in the fridge.I havent had a problem since and so put it down to my pantry being too warm.Hope this helps!

nfh1, Feb 21, 1:28am
Yes - it could be that, our pantry is really warm.Thanks

pickles7, Feb 21, 6:22am
lol, nor here, But I do get given bottles of wine others can not drink. Latest is a bottle of "Syrah"2010.The person that gave me the bottle likes red wine, so I am thinking it has past its best.

pickles7, Feb 21, 6:28am
Most vinegar you buy will have been treated to retard the "mother of vinegar" from growing. I preserve my vinegars with heat, or sulphates. Just strain the "mother out before you use the vinegar. I wouldn't have room in my fridge, to keep my vinegars in the fridge.