I know pavlova shells freeze really well-- but

ashanti, Mar 10, 6:57am
what about freezing one that has the whipped cream on it as well? Anyone tried this? i have 4 to make and was hoping I could get away with preparing everything then just take out and defrost?

larms1, Mar 10, 7:00am
whipped cream doesnt thaw very well. I wouldnt try it.

ashanti, Mar 10, 7:02am
Thanks larms1, will just stick to freezing the shells then.

buzzy110, Mar 10, 10:28am
You could experiment with freezing some whipped cream then defrosting it. I have found that there is not a lot of difference to freshly whipped. I always freeze left over cakes even if they have whipped cream in and they come out OK.

So try the experiment with left over whipped cream. That way you will be able to decide for yourself in the future.

I've seen a lot of comment in here about freezing icing and chocolate icing and ganache. Once again I haven't had any trouble with either. But I do freeze first before I wrap and always remove the wrapping before defrosting - for obvious reasons.

But to comment further on your project. It doesn't take that much effort to add whipped cream to pavlova so why not just do it fresh anyway?

ashanti, Mar 10, 11:10pm
buzzy you are right, it won't take much more effort, but I am self catering my own 50th, and the less I have to do on the day the better, so I am just trying to take some shortcuts. I will give it a go freezing and see what happens. Thanks for your ideas, you are always a big help.

marywea, Mar 10, 11:19pm
ashanti,if you were wanting to fill and freeze creamckes/powder puffs then I would say go for it but a pav is different. The cream is such a visible part and in my experience, frozen cream is Ok for some things but it just doesn't have that nice shiny look.of freshly whipped. I hope Juliewen will respond as it was her that first told me about freezing pavs.I think a filled rolled pav. would be fine.

grannypam, Mar 10, 11:22pm
I have seen a recipe for a frozen rolled pav..it is actually served as a frozen dessert like icecream.

seniorbones, Mar 11, 12:35am
Thats what I was about to say grannypam, the rolls can be frozen with the cream in them and they are great but it doesnt take long to whip cream and it would be much nicer fresh, frozen it goes a bit 'dense' if thats the wordbut when in a roll its not noticeable. Ask someone to help with whipping the cream and decorating the pavs I'm sure someone would like the job

seniorbones, Mar 11, 12:37am
oh and HAPPY 50TH..I wish I could remember more about mine -it was a great night...so I'm told and the bits I can remember!!

ashanti, Mar 11, 4:26am
Lol thank you all for your suggestions. You are right seniorbones, I am sure someone who comes early can help out with whipping up some cream.

ashanti, Mar 11, 6:57am
what about freezing one that has the whipped cream on it as well! Anyone tried this! i have 4 to make and was hoping I could get away with preparing everything then just take out and defrost!

buzzy110, Mar 11, 10:28am
You could experiment with freezing some whipped cream then defrosting it. I have found that there is not a lot of difference to freshly whipped. I always freeze left over cakes even if they have whipped cream in and they come out OK.

So try the experiment with left over whipped cream. That way you will be able to decide for yourself in the future.

I've seen a lot of comment in here about freezing icing and chocolate icing and ganache. Once again I haven't had any trouble with either. But I do freeze first before I wrap and always remove the wrapping before defrosting - for obvious reasons.

But to comment further on your project. It doesn't take that much effort to add whipped cream to pavlova so why not just do it fresh anyway!

ashanti, Mar 11, 11:10pm
buzzy you are right, it won't take much more effort, but I am self catering my own 50th, and the less I have to do on the day the better, so I am just trying to take some shortcuts. I will give it a go freezing and see what happens. Thanks for your ideas, you are always a big help.

marywea, Mar 11, 11:19pm
ashanti,if you were wanting to fill and freeze creamckes/powder puffs then I would say go for it but a pav is different. The cream is such a visible part and in my experience, frozen cream is Ok for some things but it just doesn't have that nice shiny look.of freshly whipped. I hope Juliewen will respond as it was her that first told me about freezing pavs.I think a filled rolled pav. would be fine.

grannypam, Mar 11, 11:22pm
I have seen a recipe for a frozen rolled pav.it is actually served as a frozen dessert like icecream.

seniorbones, Mar 12, 12:35am
Thats what I was about to say grannypam, the rolls can be frozen with the cream in them and they are great but it doesnt take long to whip cream and it would be much nicer fresh, frozen it goes a bit 'dense' if thats the wordbut when in a roll its not noticeable. Ask someone to help with whipping the cream and decorating the pavs I'm sure someone would like the job

seniorbones, Mar 12, 12:37am
oh and HAPPY 50TH.I wish I could remember more about mine -it was a great night.so I'm told and the bits I can remember!