Pavalove or pavlova? need a recipe now!!

seniorbones, Mar 31, 7:38pm
anyway I have lost my tried and true recipe and need to make one this morning!! 16 year old grandsons b'day made him a mud cake now he tells me he would like a pav..sigh..found a recipe similar to mine but has cornflour in it what does that do? I have searched in recipes but all that come up is questions..anyone have a recipe where I can throw it all in my mixer and leave for 15 - 30mins and its ready to cook?

margyr, Mar 31, 7:47pm
Pam's Pavlova
6 egg whites at room temp
pinch salt
2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp malt vinegar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Preheat oven to 150C. Beat egg whites with salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition. Stop beating when all the sugar has been incorporated and fold in vinegar and vanilla. Pile mixture into a greased 20cm springform tin and lightly smooth the top. Bake for 45 mins at 150C,then turn off the oven and leave with door shut for one hour. When pav is cooked, remove from oven and cool completely. Remove sides of springform tin and fill pavlova generoulsy with whipped cream and your choice of topping which for me is usually Kiwifruit, strawberries or passionfruit pulp.
Quote cookessentials (1151 )2:17 pm, Wed

margyr, Mar 31, 7:49pm
hi guys, sorry took so long, dinner etc.
Its a icing sugar never fail pavlova, easy peasy, and i made one
before xmas last year and made another on xmas day.
So quick and it works.
6 egg whites,
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
Add sugar to the whites slowly, beating well, until stiff peaks appear on beaters when held up.
Add 1 tsp vinegar and beat until mixed in.
Pile high not spread out.
Bake 150 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. leave in oven till cold.

Can be made larger e.g. for every egg white added add 2oz sugar.

Have a go and report back.
sorry for the wait ladies.
Quote dna187 (418 )8:39 pm, Wed 15 Dec #14

nzl99, Mar 31, 7:49pm
They made Pavs on home baker last night... the one without cornflour and vinegar didn't work at all.I think the judge said something about them being setting and binding agents...?

Sorry, I've never actually made pav though.

margyr, Mar 31, 7:49pm
those are a couple I found by doing a search in the search box on the left. good luck.

seniorbones, Mar 31, 7:54pm
this is similar to the one I used to make all the time except it had boiling water in it and only 3 egg whites. I did search and only found one as mentioned mostly questions. Thanks guys better get cracking or it wont be cool by 2pm when I have to leave

pickles7, Apr 1, 6:17am
pavlova....large

Beat until thick and smooth ......approx 15 mins
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water............,
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)

nik12, Apr 1, 6:42am
How did you get on?
Your recipe sounds like mine, it's got boiling water and you just bung it all in and leave it to beat, but it does have a wee bit of cornflour as well.
I haven't got it handy right now, but I'll have a search soon.

rosathemad, Apr 1, 7:01am
Cornflour helps stabilise, you'll probably find your cornflour-free pavs are more prone to oozing liquid and sinking. Doesn't mean they will - but it makes it easier and I'm all for any little tweaks like that that make things easier. ;-)

seniorbones, Apr 1, 8:38pm
anyway I have lost my tried and true recipe and need to make one this morning! 16 year old grandsons b'day made him a mud cake now he tells me he would like a pav.sigh.found a recipe similar to mine but has cornflour in it what does that do! I have searched in recipes but all that come up is questions.anyone have a recipe where I can throw it all in my mixer and leave for 15 - 30mins and its ready to cook!

margyr, Apr 1, 8:47pm
Pam's Pavlova
6 egg whites at room temp
pinch salt
2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp malt vinegar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Preheat oven to 150C. Beat egg whites with salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition. Stop beating when all the sugar has been incorporated and fold in vinegar and vanilla. Pile mixture into a greased 20cm springform tin and lightly smooth the top. Bake for 45 mins at 150C,then turn off the oven and leave with door shut for one hour. When pav is cooked, remove from oven and cool completely. Remove sides of springform tin and fill pavlova generoulsy with whipped cream and your choice of topping which for me is usually Kiwifruit, strawberries or passionfruit pulp.
Quote cookessentials (1151 )2:17 pm, Wed

nzl99, Apr 1, 8:49pm
They made Pavs on home baker last night. the one without cornflour and vinegar didn't work at all.I think the judge said something about them being setting and binding agents.!

Sorry, I've never actually made pav though.

kinna54, Apr 2, 3:24am
Cornflour makes the centre softer, e.g the more marshmallowy type, as opposed to the harder meringue variety, and yes cornflour is a stabiliser.Made 100's over the years, and that is what the difference is.

pickles7, Apr 2, 7:17am
pavlova.large

Beat until thick and smooth .approx 15 mins
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water.,
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)

nik12, Apr 2, 7:42am
How did you get on!
Your recipe sounds like mine, it's got boiling water and you just bung it all in and leave it to beat, but it does have a wee bit of cornflour as well.
I haven't got it handy right now, but I'll have a search soon.

rosathemad, Apr 2, 8:01am
Cornflour helps stabilise, you'll probably find your cornflour-free pavs are more prone to oozing liquid and sinking. Doesn't mean they will - but it makes it easier and I'm all for any little tweaks like that that make things easier. ;-)

kinna54, Apr 3, 4:24am
Cornflour makes the centre softer, e.g the more marshmallowy type, as opposed to the harder meringue variety, and yes cornflour is a stabiliser.Made 100's over the years, and that is what the difference is.