I need a Recipe for Toffee

amy572, Jul 26, 10:40pm
Does anybody have a recipe for toffee?

haulier, Jul 27, 12:02am
x2
Toffee from edmonds cookbook
2 cups brown or white sugar,1 tablespoonvinegar,1 cup water,1 tablespoon butterPut all ingredients in pot and boil without stirring until a little tried in cold water snaps.pour into a buttered dish

cookessentials, Jul 27, 12:27am
450g sugar
50g butter
Pinch cream tartar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon vinegar

Place sugar, butter and remaining ingredients into a stainless steel saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, insert a candy thermometer and continue to cook until toffee reaches a temperature of 160oC. Remove from heat and pour into patty cases or into a greased slice tin. Allow to cool and become firm before eating.

elliehen, Jul 27, 6:40am
Watch your fillings ;)

kinna54, Jul 27, 9:41am
x1
That edmonds book one is definitely the best. delicious!!!!

amy572, Jul 27, 10:40pm
Does anybody have a recipe for toffee!

shop-a-holic, Jul 28, 5:16am
As a child, we spent an afternoon at an "aunts" place. She too, had children the same ages as myself, and siblings. We were allowed to make toffee. Unfortuately, the toffee burned, and my mother beat me in front of all the other children. She made me scrub the pot with cold water and a goldilocks until my hands were raw and bleedning, and tears rolling down my face.
I have never made toffee.
So, my question is - before I make toffee, what is the best way to clean up?

elliehen, Jul 28, 5:26am
shop-a-holic....that is SO sad....

elliehen, Jul 28, 5:28am
I have not made toffee since I was a child (no beatings...)but I'd say the first thing is don't burn it!Any burnt pot is hard to clean.

The pot should then just clean in the normal way with perhaps a soak first.

kinna54, Jul 28, 9:41am
That edmonds book one is definitely the best. delicious!

shop-a-holic, Jul 29, 5:16am
As a child, we spent an afternoon at an "aunts" place. She too, had children the same ages as myself, and siblings. We were allowed to make toffee. Unfortuately, the toffee burned, and my mother beat me in front of all the other children. She made me scrub the pot with cold water and a goldilocks until my hands were raw and bleedning, and tears rolling down my face.
I have never made toffee.
So, my question is - before I make toffee, what is the best way to clean up!

elliehen, Jul 29, 5:26am
shop-a-holic.that is SO sad.

elliehen, Jul 29, 5:28am
I have not made toffee since I was a child (no beatings.)but I'd say the first thing is don't burn it!Any burnt pot is hard to clean.

The pot should then just clean in the normal way with perhaps a soak first.

jessekat, Jul 17, 12:03pm
My son and I loved our toffee when it was over cooked
(burnt ) . Darker brown the better. OOPS !!