Pavlova failures a mystery

sassy6, Jan 1, 8:56am
have had 2 pavlovas fail on me and cant work out why, have ollowed edmonds recipe each time and have made this pav heaps before with no problems, straight away they turn brownish and just go rubbery and no taste, any clues would be appreciated, cheers

cookessentials, Jan 1, 9:18am
I very rarely use an Edmonds recipe ( no offence) It may be the humid weather that is not helping. I have used a Margaret Fulton recipe for some 20 years with no problems. It is made in a springofrm tin and uses six egg whites. If you would like the recipe, just let me know.

cj707, Jan 1, 9:33am
Is it something to do with the type of eggs you are using.We've had lots of stale ones through the supermarkets lately.

gardie, Jan 1, 6:10pm
Brown - oven too hot?Should cook a pav at under 140 deg.Also, could your oven be hotter than what the dial indicates?

korbo, Jan 1, 6:25pm
check out my user name on left hand side, made a pav yesterday and purrfect...had 2 last week, go brown and sticky/rubbery like you said. try again, and leave eggs out of fridge for a few days, or wait until eggs are a little old.
or go to my thread, pavlova, i did it.

flower-child01, Jan 1, 7:26pm
My recipe at brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/pavlo-
va works just fine, a lot depends on how well beaten the egg white is, and how fine the sugar is too. I get the 1 1/4 cups of sugar, wizz up in my mini wizz, and that's my caster sugar. I made a pav two days ago and accidentally put icing sugar in instead of the cornflour (blonde cook here) and it still turned out perfectly fine.

leigh71, Jan 4, 5:17am
The heat of the kitchen can be a problem, wiping the bowl & beater with vinegar can help.

sandhu, Jan 4, 5:37am
Try pickles7 pav its the best ever..

macandrosie, Jan 4, 6:13am
Personally I think eggs that are not too fresh always give the best results when baking. I wonder if it's the heat too. Also use eggs that are room temperature ranter than from the fridge.

mackenzie2, Jan 4, 3:43pm
When I make my rolled pavs I put the eggs in the fridge for at least 12 hrs before I need to use them, If I use room temp ones the pav goes rubbery!!!! Blurk