"Pavlova cracking real bad"

sandhu, Jul 20, 12:45am
Is this a good thing or a bad thing do they do this "Cracking when cooking"

pickles7, Jul 20, 6:19am
yummm fill them up with cream. Try this one next.
pav icing sugar
6 egg Whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling water... ... .
METHOD... ... . . Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug... ... .
Add the Boiled Water... ... Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins)... ... Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely)... ... Cook for 2 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool)

245sam, Jul 20, 7:45am
sandhu, it's a while since I last made a pavlova but from memory I think most, if not all, the pavlovas I've ever made have cracked to some extent - I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing unless it is/they are so badly cracked that it/they collapse.

Just in case anyone is interested, here's the link to Donna Hay's Pavlova recipe that was used on MasterChef Australia as screened early this evening:-

http://www.masterchef.com. au/recipe-donna-hay-pavlova.htm

sandhu, Jul 20, 8:06am
Well I can a sure you it was real bad. . If I new how to put a pic up on here I can show you what it looked like. . lol. .

245sam, Jul 20, 8:15am
oh dear sandhu, that's not good :-((- do you think it was the way you cooked and cooled it or the way it was mixed? or maybe you need to try a new recipe. Have a look at the recipe on the link I posted at #3 - there's a picture with that recipe that you might like to see also and compare your pavlova with. :-))

susieq9, Jul 20, 9:53am
When my Pavlova doesn't look too good after cooking, I just turn it over and treat the bottom like the top. Or, take off the crunchy topping, fill with cream and what ever topping, and then put the crunchy top back on, even if it is in pieces.

unknowndisorder, Jul 20, 10:01am
Just watching MC now, and as it's the judging stage, thought I'd pay attention to the comments.
Donna Hay comments on cracking that it's due to not leaving it in the oven long enough cooling off, so maybe that's where you went wrong.

marywea, Jul 20, 9:39pm
I suspect the oven is to hot.

sandhu, Jul 21, 8:43am
I made the icing-sugar pav today pickles, it turned out perfect. thanks for that.

ashanti, Jan 22, 10:42pm
Pickles your recipe is great, thank you for sharing.
Here is what I do with the egg yolks, I am fairly sure I got this ages ago from tm.
filling: 1 can fruit, 6 tablespoons cornflour, 3/4 cup of water, 6 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons butter.--heat tin of fruit in small pan, add cornflour dissolved in water, lastly add egg yolks and butter, cook on medium heat till mixture is thick, add sugar to your taste if you want. When custard is cold, place in dip on top of pavl;ova and cover with whipped cream.

pickles7, Jan 22, 10:54pm
Great recipe....ashanti...I will try that next time.

I made the custard for trifle, it doesn't set hard like ordinary custard.

egg yolk custard

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

ashanti, Jan 23, 2:15am
Thanks Pickles, I will definitely be trying that custard recipe out for a trifle.

pickles7, Jul 20, 6:19am
yummm fill them up with cream. Try this one next.
pav icing sugar
6 egg Whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling water.
METHOD.Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug.
Add the Boiled Water.Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins).Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely).Cook for 2 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool)

245sam, Jul 20, 7:45am
sandhu, it's a while since I last made a pavlova but from memory I think most, if not all, the pavlovas I've ever made have cracked to some extent - I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing unless it is/they are so badly cracked that it/they collapse.

Just in case anyone is interested, here's the link to Donna Hay's Pavlova recipe that was used on MasterChef Australia as screened early this evening:-

http://www.masterchef.com.au/recipe-donna-hay-pavlova.htm

sandhu, Jul 20, 8:06am
Well I can a sure you it was real bad.If I new how to put a pic up on here I can show you what it looked like.lol.

245sam, Jul 20, 8:15am
oh dear sandhu, that's not good :-((- do you think it was the way you cooked and cooled it or the way it was mixed!or maybe you need to try a new recipe.Have a look at the recipe on the link I posted at #3 - there's a picture with that recipe that you might like to see also and compare your pavlova with.:-))

susieq9, Jul 20, 9:53am
When my Pavlova doesn't look too good after cooking, I just turn it over and treat the bottom like the top. Or, take off the crunchy topping, fill with cream and what ever topping, and then put the crunchy top back on, even if it is in pieces.

unknowndisorder, Jul 20, 10:01am
Just watching MC now, and as it's the judging stage, thought I'd pay attention to the comments.
Donna Hay comments on cracking that it's due to not leaving it in the oven long enough cooling off, so maybe that's where you went wrong.

marywea, Jul 20, 9:39pm
I suspect the oven is to hot.

sandhu, Jul 21, 8:43am
I made the icing-sugar pav today pickles, it turned out perfect. thanks for that.