BBQ Recipes.... including 245sam Meatball

Page 2 / 13
valentino, Sep 21, 10:38pm
Thank you deus701... But it is the youngs like yourself when giving such compliments as you given actually encourages dads andmums... I know I do appreciate these compliments from my family members and actually gives me drive to continue. And taliking about family members etc etc, when they pitch in like cleaning up afterwards is tremendous. These latest BBQs have a much lighter grills and hotplates and even the very young ones can lift these out once cool to handle and simply clean them like normal pots, pans and oven trays, they are so easy to do and be kept in prestine condition when done regularly. Allow then to drip dry then a spray of cooking oil. I have a wee spray nozzle that one got out of gardening section of The Warehouse that the nozzle fits straight onto a small Pams bottle of any cooking oil and wipe with a paper towel ready for next time... . Cheers for your thoughts.

deus701, Sep 21, 10:53pm
My dad hardly cooks... he did made a few fried patties from grated carrot when I was in high school. I will always remember that. This is slightly off topic valentino, but I'm curious about your battery powered rotisserie. . do you think you can make a baumkuchen cake on that? Im interested to attempt one.

valentino, Sep 21, 11:23pm
deus701, Firstly, not keen on using batteries... Always main power supply... Did use a battery unit but as noted in the early post, adapted it to use mains power. This cake can be done by looking at the traditional way of doing it. Imagine one needs a sort of tubular section to fit onto a rotisserie bar and to be centred and fixed. Then one could start by brushing a layer of batter onto it, bake it as a normal rotisserie method, then repeat the brushing of batter until reached desired size. Noted that most home baked ones are done in a springform baking tin. Now, as noted earlier, the digital readings was for 2 and 5 burners was with the knob on medium and at the rotisserie bar height was about 170c to 180c. With the knob at a quarter way from hi ( that is halfway between med and hi) was 182 to 185c, the knob on hi was over 190c. This is the reading for my 6 burner. Hopes this helps with your thoughts. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 21, 11:27pm
Oh, that tubular section would need to have a baking paper wrapping around it. It would help in removal upon completion where one could also just take the paper out sfter sliding cake of the tube thingee. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 23, 8:44am
To wron re #20... Have a look at the following link in between braclets in full re pizzas, comments given so far... Cheers. (http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=35&t=775&
st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10). Oh need to go to the bottom part of page and is on page 2 in the "Hooded BBq Recipe" Topic.

wron, Sep 23, 11:16am
Many thanks Valentino! Yes will get cracking with assembly - hope it's not too complicated!

wron, Sep 23, 11:19am
I checked the TMcooks link Fantastic! Thanks again!

deus701, Sep 24, 4:54am
thanks for your advice davidt! I actually took written notes on that (god, im such a nerd). I guess its not feasible to make it at home. But yeah, thanks for your help. Will be keeping an eye on this thread... having a bbq sometime soon and there are few great ideas here.

valentino, Sep 29, 10:28pm
A pizza recipe that one will try soon, looks nice. 4 tsp yeast (6), 1 tsp sugar (5), 1 1/2 c warm water (1), 4 c plain flour (4), 2 tsp salt (3), 4 tbsp olive oil (2), cooking spray oil, and 2 tsp olive oil extra. Breadmaker Dough setting; place first 5 ingredients in numerical order and prepare dough. Hand method; Combine yeast, sugar & water in small bowl, cover, stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until frothy. Combine yeast mixture, flour, salt and oil in large bowl, mix to soft dough. Knead dough on floured surface until elastic, place dough in oiled large bowl, cover, stand in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Divide dough into 6 portions, roll each piece to form say a 16cm x 40cm pizza base (oblong shape great for BBQ use).

valentino, Sep 29, 10:29pm
#34 pizza recipe cintinued and final part... Layer 2 pieces of foil, large enogh to fit one portion of dough. Spray top of foil with cooking oil spray, place a portion of dough on top of foil, repeat for others for all bases to sit on double foils. Place these foiled pizza doughs on BBQ grill plate, cook covered using indirect heat for about 4 minutes or underneath is lightly browned, (if dough puffs up, flatten quickly with a fish slice). Remove pizzas from BBQ, close cover. Turn pizzas over, brush cooked side with extra oil then top with desired toppings but preferably after using some pasta sauce lightly spread on base firstly. Return pizzas to BBQ on foil, cover, cook 5 minutes or until well browned underneath and crisp. Cut into about 5 pieces for serving.

valentino, Sep 29, 10:37pm
Some suggested toppings for pizzas above... . . Mushroom and Olive; 2 flat mushrooms sliced thickly and about 170g asparagus trimmed, cook on heated BBq grill plate until tender, spread base with pasta sauce, top with mushrooms, asparagus, 2 tbsp seeded black olives and 1 tbsp rinsed drained baby capers. Tomato & Bocconcini; 3 baby eggplants sliced lengthways cooked on heated oiled BBq grill plate until tender, spread base with combined 1 tbsp basil pesto & 2 tsp olive oil, top with 2 medium Roma tomatoes sliced thinly, eggplant & cheese. Served sprinkled with basil.

valentino, Sep 29, 10:42pm
Another topping suggested for me to try... . . Potato & Pne Nut; Cook 4 baby potatoes thinly sliced on heated oiled BBQ plate until tender. Sprinkle pizza base with 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, top with potato, about 30 g baby spinach, 1/3 c flaked parmesan and 1 tbsp roasted pine nuts. One can also make up their own but the above gives good indications on quantities and various toppings. Imagine the kiddies would love spaghetti and cheese etc etc.

valentino, Sep 29, 10:51pm
Oooops to my #34, not first 5 but 6... . . For breadmaker Dough mixing add the first 6 ingredients in numerical order or as per your breadmaker instructions. Cheers.

darlingmole, Sep 30, 1:44am
re post #14 valentino ... I checked out that link. When I make my vegetable kebabs I normally put it on the grill (med heat) with the hood/lid off. With the sweetcorn in the husk I close the lid. Gee that site (had a quick look as busy making that awesome authentic spag bol at the mo) looks awesome! As for cleaning the bbq I'll be honest enough to admit that it's only an annual clean (hangs head in shame) but very thorough! Before each bbq I turn it up hot, fat drips off, then turn off and wipe down with newspapers, brush down the grills/plate with oil and off we go again! As for drips (which create flames/smoke/drama) well we kinda like that round here haha! It's only last year that I was finally told that you didn't use a naked flame to light the gas bbq ... no wonder I nearly blew us all up bbq after bbq but OH! ~ the excitement that lit up the kids faces hahahahah!

valentino, Sep 30, 1:56am
Thank you darlingmole... . for your latest post. Cheers.

valentino, Oct 5, 12:01am
Last night, cooked 4 size 12 chickens... . rotisseried style. 2 of which one used the beef topside marinade ( post #5 ) and the other 2 with a very nice couscous lemon stuffing and lemon glaze. Then cut each chicken into quarters and served with salads... . . The chickens with the beef marinade was very moist, lovely whilst warm upon dining. The lemon ones were lovely but just a little slightly not as moist. My family of 12 enjoyed then us 7 adults enjoyed a round of Hold-dem Poker and about 11. 00pm (school holiday time), a 6 yr old and a 8 yr old were feeling a little peckish, their mother grab a bag of chips but they wated more chicken, that was great reaction. The lemon chicken proved to better when chilled a little and was very nice. Cheers (Recipe follows).

valentino, Oct 5, 12:02am
Lemon rosemary Chicken with Couscous Seasoning 1/2c boiling water,
½ c couscous,
¼ c dried currants,
1 small red onion finely chopped,
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind,
1 tbsp lemon juice,
2 tbsp shelled pistachios toasted finely chopped and
1. 6kg chicken.
Lemon and Rosemary Glaze;
20g butter,
2 cloves garlic crushed,
¼ c firmly packed brown sugar,
½ c lemon juice,
2 tbsp dry white wine and
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary.

Combine water and couscous in medium heatproof bowl, stand covered 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Fluff couscous with fork, stir in currants, onion, rind, juice and nuts.
Rinse chicken with water and pat dry inside and outside.
Fill chicken with couscous seasoning and secure opening with toothpicks or skewer.
Tuck wing tips under body, tie legs together.

valentino, Oct 5, 12:03am
#42 continued... final bit. Place chicken in oiled baking dish, pour lemon and rosemary glaze over chicken (how to make follows).
Cook in covered BBQ using indirect heating for about 1 ½ hours or until tender (check that thighs and leg joints are cooked also), brushing occasionally with pan juices during cooking.
Stand 10 minutes before carving.
Serve chicken with pan juices.
To make the Glaze; Melt butter in small saucepan, cook garlic stirring until fragrant, add sugar, juice and wine, cook stirring without boiling until sugar dissolves.
Simmer, uncovered about 15 minutes or until thick and syrupy, stir in rosemary.
Note for Rotisserie, If cooking by rotisserie, please ensure that the stuffing is secured, to preferably use a needle and cotton and stitch the cavity opening quite securely, mainly to stop any stuffing from oozing out whilst rotating on the rotisserie rod.

valentino, Oct 5, 12:06am
Oh, guess what I'm having for dinner tonight... Nice cold BBQ chicken leftovers... When I do such BBQ cooking, one usually likes doing a bit more as I'm a fan of good cold meats as they do give the true flavours. Cheers.

deus701, Oct 5, 12:52am
oh no, i just realised... in post #33 I mistaken valentino for davidt! Valentino, Im so sorry about that. I am however very grateful for your advice on the baumkuchen cake! Im truly sorry about the mistake and should have realised it earlier.

deus701, Oct 5, 1:08am
valentino, im having a charcoal bbq tomorrow I have lamb noisettes, lamb cutlets, and beef prime steaks + beef sausages. After scouring the trademe recipe site last week, I have chosen your marinade recipe consisting pineheapple. The thing is, I don't have red wine. I do however, have prenzels red wine concentrate. Can I substitute it for that? Or would it be rather 'weak' ? Can you possibly suggest me a universal sauce for all those meats? I thought of buying a demiglaze and adding perhaps red wine concentrate + raspberry jam and simmering it down. But maybe its overkill as I don't really want to overpower the taste of the meat itself.

deus701, Oct 5, 1:17am
one last thing. . im also looking for an impromptu 'bain marie' to keep the meats warm. I have no success in figuring it out. I did get a instant bbq charcoal tray thingee from warehouse. My idea is to cook the meat to about 80% completion on the main and arranging the meats on the instant bbq tray to 'finish' cooking. I don't really have much in terms of equipment. I did think about covering the meats in aluminium foil and keeping them warm in my wall oven. . but was afraid it might kill the 'bbq' taste.

deus701, Oct 5, 1:30am
recipe in question in #46 would be Baa-B-cued Lamb Im really so sorry about the mistake in my post Valentino. I really appreciate the advice you have given me. Thanks alot for your time.

valentino, Oct 5, 2:08am
deus701 Re your #46, that should work okay... I find that if one try out one's thoughts and check by personal taste as one goes then one is in a position to correct it. If you think it could overkill is a matter of personal taste buds. Your wine concentrate should be okay, just keep tasting it to suit, if you feel it is weak then add a little bit more or overkill, then add a bit more of the other ingredients to balance it. I don't use jam much at all, tend to favour using brown sugar as it gives that more stickability. To be continued. .

valentino, Oct 5, 2:18am
When having meats cooked at 80 %... . is normally the best time to baste with any extra marinade whilst cooking... . Gives the best finish. Hence if one to do as you noted, I would still baste the meat then keep it warm via other means. It will not kill the BBQ taste but enhance it as long it does not get that direct oven heat so wrapping in foil is a good thought. Go for it. Cheers... .