I have searched the net about glazing ham on BBQ

gerry64, Dec 22, 12:20pm
but I cant find any real instructions - has anybody tried it - do I put the ham straight over the burners on the grill or do I put it in foil tray - your help would be appreciated the tempp over here is going to be way above 30 on xmas day but raining so would love to do ham outside

marcs, Dec 22, 3:14pm
Not sure how to do it on the BBQ but I assume you would put it on a tray and have it on low - Medium. I am warming mine up in the BBQ kettle so will have it on a tray. I am in Perth and the temprature will be 38 deg which means where we are it will about 40. Not looking forward to it either.

lost-in-oz, Dec 22, 5:07pm
I'm in North Qld...supposed to be raining here, but will still be hot and ham on the BBQ sounds like a brilliant idea.

*edit*
I would put it in one of those foil roasting dishes to save the glazing falling into the burners and catching fire, then burning your ham.
If your BBQ doesn't have a hood, cover your ham with some tinfoil too.

valentino, Dec 22, 9:02pm
Hooded BBQ Temperatures....

For 6 Burner as measured via Digital Thermometer...

Burners 2 and 5 on full or high, temp gets to about 190C at grill level and 200C at Rotisserie or upper rack level.

If knobs is at 3/4, then at least 10 to 12C lesser.

Knobs at say about half way between 3/4 to high is 6 to 10 C lesser.

If burners are on 1 and 6 then heat is lesser and not consistent.

Cooks the outside end of meats more than the inside or middle part of meats.

For the Ham, suggest 2 and 5 burners at 3/4 with the ham in a tray on a hot plate (not the grill plate) placed in the middle of Hooded BBQ at grill level and time to suit basting with glaze every so often....

Oh, if only a 4 burner Hooded BBQ then use only burners 1 and 4.

Cheers.

gerry64, Dec 22, 9:35pm
Cheers you all for your help - the ham is cooked I just want to glaze it and yes the BBQ has a hood - we are also supposed to have more rain -but this will be the first xmas we have been over here with the family so weather can do whatever we are going to be together

valentino, Dec 22, 11:19pm
Just do a search in the search box for glazes, there are quite a few and any of them are okay on the BBQ, gave the temps as some guide of knowing what one get expect re hotness for cooking the glze etc...

Cheers.

juliewn, Dec 23, 12:24am
Hi.. when roasting pork in a bbq, I found the bottom, due to contact with the bbq hotplate, overcooked and almost burnt.. next time, I placed a metal cake cooling rack on the surface, then had the meat on that, so the meat was about a cm or so above the hotplate surface.. made a great result.

Maybe would be of help with your ham.. and I'd use a tinfoil roasting dish too, with the cake rack or similar in that - would also make it easier for basting the ham with a glaze..

You could also use a roasting dish.

Re glaze, I just posted this in another thread:

Our favourite recipe - given to me by a butcher here in Whakatane many years ago (my recipe book notes 1984), is:
Simmer together till the sugar is dissolved:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup pineapple juice (use the juice from a can of pineapple rings, and make the juice up to 1 cup with water)
1/2 tsp dry mustard.

Place two layers of tinfoil in the bottom of the roasting dish.
Remove the skin of the ham and some of the fat if you want, and score a diamond pattern about 1/4" deep into the surface of the fat that's left.
Place the ham on the tinfoil, then decorate the ham with the pineapple circles and with cherries inside the circles.
Use toothpicks to hold them in place if needed.
Pour over the glaze, cover firmly with foil then the roasting dish lid if it will fit - otherwise just use the foil.
Bake at 160°C for 20 minutes per kilo.
Baste with the glaze about every 10 minutes.

Enjoy your Christmas..

gerry64, Dec 23, 3:06am
thank you juliewn for giving me all that info - just picked up my ham I ordered it at our local Farmers Market - I moved here from Taupo a met the farmers wife today and she grew up in Taupo also - what a small world -

juliewn, Dec 23, 10:05am
Sure is.. enjoy your ham.. and Happy Christmas.. :-)

wahinetoa62, Dec 8, 5:49pm
our ham is one from a wonderful butcher who smokes his own and is so amazingly good then we glazed it with apple cider boiled down with pomegranate molasses and dijon mustard.....divinely good