I got a hooded BBQ with a rotisserie and back

mykl, Jan 1, 12:43am
burner for Christmas and for my first attempt want to cook a small (about 1kg) rolled pork roast tonight.

Having never cooked with a hooded rotisserie BBQ before what advice regarding cooking time/temperatures and burner configurations do you have.

TIA

mykl, Jan 1, 2:26am
Bump... I would like to cook this tonight, surely someone out there has some advice...please

0800xford, Jan 1, 2:39am
do we get some cool before/after photos?

mykl, Jan 1, 2:44am
Only if it turns out OK... might have to recharge the batteries on the camera first though.

0800xford, Jan 1, 4:26am
quite often the manufacturer will have guidelines for cooking times/techniques for their products.

gildon, Jan 1, 4:30am
We regularly cook on our BBQ rotisserie and as a general rule, most things do well at 300 degrees or under.It is better to cook slower and longer than risk burning or overcooking.Do you have a temperature gauge on your lid?If so, it is easy to keep an eye on the temperature.We usually end up with all the burners off or maybe one on low.

samsnan, Jan 1, 10:51pm
x1
Similar to gildon. We turn all 3 burners on and heat to med high. My meat (whole lamb leg at xmas) was put in a v rack and then I stood that in one of those big turkey(or similar) foil dishes. Stand the whole thing in the middle of your bbq and turn the middle burner right off. Let the heat go back to medium. The fat will drip into the foil pan. You can probably see into it at the back of the hood to check it. Dont keep lifting the lid or too much heat will get out. Just last night I cooked quite a large chunk of pork and it took just over 2 hours. Hope you can understand all this ok.

beaker59, Jan 1, 10:54pm
I love my webber kettle and christmas isn't on until the huge shoulder of pork goes over the charcoal (note: charcoal, not those horrible heat beads).

wron, Jan 2, 1:53am
Aren't heat beads compressed charcoal made from a hard wood?

kitj1, Dec 30, 12:41am
Invest in a meat thermometer....great value and saves any indecision over whether your meat is cooked thru without slicing into it and losing all the juices and causing shrinkage...or food poisoning