Coca cola/BBQ sauce on spare ribs in slow cooker

matt4bex, May 12, 6:04am
Would this work?

Having my brother and SIL over for dinner Saturday and want to put something in the slow cooker so we don't have to be in the kitchen all night away from our guests.

TIA

familychch, May 12, 6:47am
I would also like to know if spare ribs can be done in the slow cooker....

taniajane, May 12, 7:03am
its the only way to do ribs!i lived over in the states and Canada and i rarely saw it done any other way and do it like this myself.its just ribs and a BBQ sauce that you like with any other flavours you might like.i love mine with Uncle Vern's BBQ sauce, bourbon and lime, a pour of the bottle and a couple of whole chopped limes, yum!
it helps if you have one of the long oval slow cookers so they can lie in the sauce.
i have heard to the coke idea but never had or tried it.love to hear your results.

mouse_y, May 12, 7:05am
spare ribs are dearer than chops !

matt4bex, May 12, 7:21am
I don't care about how much they cost I just care about how they taste.
Limes are a great idea.Feeding Mum so can't add the bourbon though :-(
Well I'll report back after Saturday and let you know how they turn out.

nunesy, May 12, 10:24am
if it works please explain how to cook it, ie how long and exactly what to do.. don't have an oven (only stove top) so am relying on crockpot recipes this winter!

bearskin, May 12, 11:19pm
I love Nigella's recipe for ham that uses Coca Cola to simmer the ham in first (in the UK the hams are usually uncooked, unlike in NZ) before baking and glazing it in the oven.

matt4bex, May 13, 6:04am
Would this work!

Having my brother and SIL over for dinner Saturday and want to put something in the slow cooker so we don't have to be in the kitchen all night away from our guests.

TIA

familychch, May 13, 6:47am
I would also like to know if spare ribs can be done in the slow cooker.

taniajane, May 13, 7:03am
its the only way to do ribs!i lived over in the states and Canada and i rarely saw it done any other way and do it like this myself.its just ribs and a BBQ sauce that you like with any other flavours you might like.i love mine with Uncle Vern's BBQ sauce, bourbon and lime, a pour of the bottle and a couple of whole chopped limes, yum!
it helps if you have one of the long oval slow cookers so they can lie in the sauce.
i have heard to the coke idea but never had or tried it.love to hear your results.

matt4bex, May 13, 7:21am
I don't care about how much they cost I just care about how they taste.
Limes are a great idea.Feeding Mum so can't add the bourbon though :-(
Well I'll report back after Saturday and let you know how they turn out.

nunesy, May 13, 10:24am
if it works please explain how to cook it, ie how long and exactly what to do. don't have an oven (only stove top) so am relying on crockpot recipes this winter!

korbo, May 14, 9:17am
how long would it take to cook ribs in slow cooker

taniajane, May 14, 6:36pm
low for about 7-8 hours.If they are the whole, bone in type.

taniajane, May 18, 5:48am
How did your ribs go over?

gerry64, May 18, 6:00am
have a look on the My Kitchen Rules website -there is a fantastic ribs recipe - didnt think of doing it in the crockpot

taniajane, May 19, 5:48am
How did your ribs go over!