What's for dinner, tonight?

Page 6 / 6
lizab, Aug 15, 10:05pm
I've taken some mince out of the freezer (while looking for sausagemeat that I couldn't find! ! ) and after reading the thread, I'll make chilli con carne and rice! ! Was thinking about doing a lasagna, but have a little catering job tomorrow and can't be bothered making pasta today after prepping all my savouries! ! !

Jaybee - I too live too far away from town to nip to the shops (40 min drive to supermarket), but isn't it great having a freezer or two or three full of meat and a garden of veggies :)

fisher, Aug 16, 4:07am
Was going to make home made spring rolls with rice, pork mince, cabbage etc... but been out in the warm sun cleaning up the worm farms and weeding... so that will have to do for tomorrow nite...

Spring rolls . . Made with spring roll wrappers
Ingredients:
1 small grated potato (do this last). . 1/2 cabbage, shredded finely. . one carrot julienned, very thin. . 150g pork mince. . 2-3 cloves garlic. . 1 onion, finely sliced french cut. .
2 tbsp soy sauce. . grating of ginger. . pinch of five spice. . dash of fish sauce. . salt and pepper. . spring roll wrappers.
Method:. .
Fry crushed garlic ginger and onion until tender then add pork mince and cook for further 5 mins... Season with salt , pepper and five spice... A little fish sauce to taste/. Add 1 cup vege stock to meat and mix with and cook potato, carrots and cabbage until just tender.
Set aside until cold...
Put about 2-3 tbsp of filling on top of wrapper and roll up, corner to corner, tucking in the sides... Seal with little flour / water mix...
Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown or place on oiled oven tray and grill at 200c turning when golden brown. .
Serve on a bed of turmeric and pea rice with a green, like whole beans or peas on the side. .
Variations:
(a) Use precooked cold rice instead of potato.
(b) Add a tsp of curry powder. .
Hints:
Make small rolls as finger food entrée or larger rolls for main course .
Soy Sauce or Sweet Chilli Sauce for dipping. .

charlieb2, Aug 16, 4:10am
Well, I made a beef bourginion (sp) last night in the crockpot for Mr when he arrived home from his fishing trip. But they were running SOOOO late they grabbed fish and chips en route. So, tonights offering, I'm thinking of chucking beef into dish and throwing on some mashed spuds, cheese and breadcrumbs... voila! pie! lol.

winnie15, Aug 16, 4:22am
Great idea #1!
we're having mince nacho dish, recipe from food in a minute. . with carrott and brocolli. . then dessert is lemon muffins with whipped cream.

fisher, Aug 16, 4:25am
good scheme charlieb... all the flavours would be infused and it will be very tasty... I would do the layer of mashed spuds on top. . run fork over to make it look pretty. . sprinkle of grated cheese and some paprika... icksnay on the breadcrumbs. . :} Brown it all up and melty under the grill...

dorothy_vdh, Aug 16, 4:34am
cottage pie, red cabbage coleslaw and corn the cob from the freezer

nfh1, Aug 16, 4:48am
Rump steak in slow cooker with mushrooms, celery, onions and beef with onion gravy sachet from McCormicks - smells lovely!

motorbo, Aug 16, 5:53am
hi dorothy, do you make your own slaw? keen to know what you put in if thats okay

tonight im making my spring rolls, with rice paper, i usually oven bake them as they dont tend to split then, i dont follow the rules/ a recipe but just my own basic guidelines and i love them for dinner and always have enough for lunch the next day! ! !

ruby19, Aug 16, 6:09am
Veggie garden bake here tonight, with probably some grilled bacon for the meat eaters, as I haven`t pulled any meat from the freezer.

courtney2004, Aug 16, 6:36am
was going to be brought Hell's pizza (birthday tea) but birthday boy is working late delivering phonebooks in ChCh :( so we are having Roast chicken pieces and roast potatoes with carrots and colslaw

winnie15, Aug 16, 8:30am
Oh this sounds good - was it nice?

motorbo, Aug 16, 8:42am
im gonna die of shame, it was a soup recipe grrr anyways i adapted it, was okay but i was trying to make not nice sausages taste good, it didnt work, so the rest was yum but the sausages werent lol, with decent ones it would have been great
\

mistrycelebrity, Aug 16, 9:40am
sounds wierd but i made cauliflower soup with a tin of coconut cream and some stock in it, and added some parmesan cheese at the end... its actually very nice.

spongeypud, Aug 16, 10:12am
I made an Indian dish, Masala Mussels, very nice but I overdid the chilli lol.

elliehen, Jan 30, 8:53pm
Seafood chowder, with Mapua Smokehouse kingfish :)