Cakes

Page 3 / 28
brianmac, Jul 19, 11:51pm
Citrus Frosting 240g icing sugar;1 tsp of grated orange rind (or lemon if using for a lemon cake)30g soft butter;1 1/2 tbsp orange or lemon juice approx. Combine sifted icing sugar, rind and butter in a small bowl. Stir in enough juice to give a spreadable consistency.

brianmac, Jul 22, 8:49am
Devils Food Cake Picnic Style In a bowl, sift together 2 cups flour;1/2 tsp baking powder;1 3/4 tsp baking soda;1 3/4 cups sugar;2/3 cup cocoa;1 tsp salt.
Add 2/3 cup soft butter, then pour in 1 cup water. 1 tsp vanilla essence. Beat with electric mixer 2 mins on high. Add three eggs and beat 2 mins more on med. Pour into a 33x25x5cm oblong pan lined with greaseproof paper. Bake at 180c for 35-45 mins or until cooked. Ice cold in pan with deluxe choc icing. cont... .

brianmac, Jul 22, 8:51am
Deluxe Choc Icing Sift 2 2/3 cups icing sugar;1/3 tsp salt;1/4 cup cocoa add 1/2 cup soft butter and one egg yolk plus 1/3 cup hot water. Beat until smooth & easy to spread. This cake is moist and delicious and big! !

fruitluva2, Jul 23, 10:34pm
Mango Fruitcake 425g can mango slices in natural juice, 500g dried mixed fruit, 1/3C apple juice, 2 lightly beaten eggs, 1 & 1/2C self raising flour, 1 & 1/2t bicarb; 1t mixed spice, 1/4C brandy. :
Drain juice from the mango slices into a large pan. Chop the mango, add to pan to a pan with the mixed fruit & apple juice. Bring to the boil, simmer, uncovered for 1 min. Allow to cool at room temp. Preheat oven to 160C. Lightly grease & line the base & sides of a 20cm round cake pan. Add eggs & dry ingredients to the cooled mixture. Mix to combine, Pour in the pan & level. Decorate with pecan nuts or other nuts. Cook for 1 hr or until cooked when tested. Sprinkle with brandy while still warm, allow to cool. Wrap in clingfilm, then foil. Refrigerate for 3-4 week s if desired.

valentino, Jul 23, 11:41pm
Note, the following recipe is repeated... in that thread "what did you bake last week" or something like that. . It is beautiful and keeps for over a week and even tastes better. Truly worth trying and is very highly recommended for something that is extra special or for a special ocassion. Cheers.

valentino, Jul 23, 11:42pm
Moroccan Honey & Mint Syrup Cake. . Part1 of 3 Batter; 160g butter softened, 310g sugar, 1 ½ tsp dried or fresh mint, 6 eggs, 230g coconut & 210g Self raising flour.
Preheat oven 150c. Beat butter, sugar & mint until change of colour. Add small quantities of egg, coconut & flour beating well between each addition to prevent mixture from curdling. Repeat until all is used. Line a lightly greased 22cm spring release cake tin with baking powder. Pour in the batter, bake for 1 –1 ½ hours ( you can make the mint syrup during this time). Check the cake is baked by inserting a skewer in the centre. If it comes out clean, cake is ready. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes.

valentino, Jul 23, 11:43pm
Moroccan Cake continued... 2 of 3. Mint Syrup; 200ml water, 180g sugar & 1 ½ c roughly chopped fresh mint. Place all in a saucepan, bring to boil stirring to ensure sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat & allow to cool for 30-45 minutes. Strain through a sieve and discard mint leaves. Use the syrup as directed in the following.

brianmac, Jul 24, 4:12am
Zesty Lemon cream Cake 125g butter, chopped;1 tbsp lemon rind grated;220g caster sugar;2 eggs;225g s. r flour;125ml sour cream. Grease a 21cm baba cake pan (or ring tin). Combine all ing in med bowl. Beat on low speed till combined then increase to med until mix is smooth 7 changed in colour. Sppon and spread into prepared tin. Bake in mod oven about 50 mins. Stand a few mins before turning onto wire rack to cool. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

shula2, Jul 24, 4:41am
katalin2 do you have a food processor? no creaming fruit cake:- 1kg fruit cake mix, 1/2 cup liquid - I use gingerale, 200g butter, 2c flour, 1 cup sugar, tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 golden syrup, 1/2 milk, 2 sz 7 eggs, Soak fruit in liquid overnight in seald bowl - or ziplock bag. In food processor put flour, butter, baking soda, salt and sugar - pulse until fine crumbs. warm milk and syrup until both just combined, beat in eggs then add in fruit mix and dry ingredients and mix well - DON'T DO THIS IN THE PROCESSOR. Bae in well lined 20cm tin for 21/4 hours @150C

shula2, Jul 24, 4:44am
the above fruit cake is very easy and I have taken it one step further - I actually melt the butter - I skip the food processor bit altogether - mind you I very rarely follow a recipe and make them up as Igo - I kinda just look at the idea and fix it up to suit myself

katalin2, Jul 24, 5:25am
thanks shula2, yes I do have a food processor- and I also usually melt butter rather than cream... will try your cake it looks delish... have now tried out several including a condensed milk one from another thread - I changed it around- soaked the fruit in earl grey tea first, it is beautiful.
My family is extremely grateful to be trying out all these lovely fruitcakes as these days I don't have time to bake every week... nice to be told "you are being a real mother again... "

brianmac, Jul 25, 7:57am
bumping up for someone wanting the devils food cake recipe.

wise_one, Jul 25, 8:27am
thanks bumping this so i can find it tomorra to copy more out.

katherine4, Jul 25, 11:31am
Yum, any that are no fail? ? ? Thanks

bunny51, Jul 25, 8:17pm
bought a bag of ovr ripe bananas yesterday to make banana cake with, after looking through this thread I think i might have to go buy another bag so that I can try them all out

brianmac, Jul 27, 1:49am
all no fail Katherine you wont be disappointed.

brianmac, Jul 27, 1:55am
Moist Apple & Date Cake This is very moist and is not "Cakey". Use Granny Smith apples.
2 apples, finely chopped;1 cup chopped dates;1/2 tsp baking soda;1 cup boiling water;185g butter;1 cup caster sugar;1 egg;2 cups plain flour. Grease a 23cm square slab pan, line base and sides with paper;grease paper well. Combine apples, dates, soda and water in a bowl, cover, cool. cont... .

fruitluva2, Jul 30, 9:45pm
mmm over-ripe bananas for cakes give the best results

jenna68, Aug 5, 5:41pm
Hiya fruity :o) . .

valentino, Aug 16, 11:26pm
=^. ^= . .

valentino, Aug 23, 9:10pm
Gosh, another at the very end... Bumped

griffo4, Aug 23, 9:41pm
OMG l just found this thread so more cut and pasting when l come back in. I made valentino's Moroccan cake from another thread and it is sooo nice and easy to make. So many more recipes to try here thanks to all who have put them on

tasmum, Aug 23, 10:10pm
bumping up to have a good trawl through later.

bananabear, Sep 2, 7:42pm
Bump to copy some of these :)

valentino, Sep 16, 3:42am
Bumping for tja12, the odd is in here but need to look through.