MUSSEL FRITTERS or CAKES

kitcheno, Apr 27, 10:27pm
Any nice person have a good recipe to cook mussel cakes, fritters or the likes?

cinny19, Apr 28, 1:26am
I just use 2 cups of flour, 2 heap teaspoons of baking powder, 1 egg, salt and pepper, 2 chopped up red onions, chopped parsley, and juice from one lemon, and make a thick batter using cold water, then drop in all your mussels and juice from the mussels, carefully stir them threw the batter with a wooden spoon, and heat your pan up with oil and butter, and away you go

beaker59, Apr 28, 11:19am
Best mussel fritters are made from raw mussels its not to hard to shell them and quite fast once you get the knack, another trick if buying mussels is to have a look through for a broken one have a look to check if its fat the side walls should be thick and creamy looking (white or pink you can tell) if it looks thin and see thru then pass and have something else for dinner. Steamed open they just don't taste as good and have a rubbery texture. I chop mine into about 3 -4 pieces to about a dozen mussels add a beaten egg a finely chopped onion and tomato lots of pepper and a good handful of chopped fresh corriander(basil is nice too) then stir in 2 or 3 tablespoons of flour and a 1/4tsp of baking powder fry in nice big fritters for dinner with a salad or really nice in small balls as finger food at a party. nice with sweet thai chilli sauce.

purplegoanna, Apr 29, 12:09am
i cook my 12 mussels then shell them and dice them, then gently fry diced onion add to mussels and in another bowl i beat 2 eggs whites till theyre fluffy then i add egg whites and egg yolks to mussel/onion mix and fold together usually with 1-2Tbsp of SR flour and a pinch of baking powder...add salty pepper & smidgeon of curry powder and fry.

purplegoanna, Apr 29, 12:11am
NOTE: to get the best fritter or deep fried mussel both the hairy tongue and the chewy rind of the mussel must be removed, it was No1 rule in a takeaways i worked in years ago.

fisher, Apr 29, 12:52am
I do mine in a colander over boiling water.. as soon as they "look' like opening, they are picked out and thrown into a sink of cold water for a minute, removed and then de-shelled , de-bearded and de-chewing gummed ...
The basil is the secret ingredient ~ don't leave it out.
Ingredients:
12 mussels..2 eggs..2 tbsp flour..1 tsp baking powde.r2 tbsp chopped parsley..2 tbsp chopped FRESH basil.. 1/2 tsp salt..freshly ground black pepper..butter for frying
Method:
chop mussels roughly.. (Not too fine) .. Set aside with the chopped parsley and basil.In a bowl, beat the eggs; sift in four and baking powder. Beat with fork to combine. Stir in the mussels, salt, ground pepper, basil and parsley. Melt butter over medium heat.(Too high and the butter will burn)
Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls into the butter and fry - pancake style for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown.

fisher, Apr 29, 12:53am
Mussel Fritters with Seasonings
Chopped raw cleaned mussels1 cup flour1 egg beaten1/2cup milktouch of saltpepperpinch or two of curry powdergarlic crushed
onion grated and the two secret weapons.. a "little" squirt of sweet chilli sauce and fresh chopped basil.
Drop large spoonfuls into hot pan with oil and a knob of butter..

fisher, Apr 29, 12:54am
Mussel Fritters
Chop steamed / cooked mussels and stir into fairly thick batter made by mixing the following.
2 beaten eggs11/2 cup self-raising floursachet seafood soup mixchopped parsley1 tsp lemon rind, grated ...mussel liquid from steaming...
Mix all to make up thick batter. Fry in hot oil