Ladyfinger sponge cakes

beechee51, Apr 24, 6:35am
Where do you get these? I usually just buy round or square pieces of sponge when I make trifles or tiramisu and have noticed Ladyfigure sponge cakes are needed for some recipes.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 6:39am
Savoiardi biscuits are readily availabe. You may get them in the international section of your supermarket. I get mine at Moore Wilson.

beechee51, Apr 24, 6:49am
So Ladyfinger sponge cakes are not like normal sponge at all?

cookessentials, Apr 24, 6:51am
No, they are firmer. The trick with them is that you dip them into the liquid ( such as coffee or alcohol) they are a sponge but not pongey like ordinary sponge.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 6:53am

beechee51, Apr 24, 6:56am
Thanks so much, you have saved me ages runing up and down the supermarket looking for them. They seem to have them in a few of the MasterChef recipes.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 7:24am
I but the larger bag and in the bag, there are usually two individually wrapped bags. Once you open them, keep them in an airtight container.

chooky, Apr 24, 7:40am
I get mine in New World. Use to be in the deli section, but the last lot I got was in the biscuit area.

poppy500, Apr 24, 7:42am
New World has them, or Countdown. The Mediterranean Food Warehouse is the cheapest place I have seen them though.

pickles7, Apr 24, 9:42am
We used to make them, they were easy . I have seen the tins around, so you must be able to buy them still.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 9:56am
Unless you are going to be making dishes regularly, it is hardly worth buying the tins. They are not available readily here.

pickles7, Apr 24, 11:23am
They can be made without the tins. you scatter sugar onto the tray, before you pipe the mixture out.. helps to stop them spreading too far.

beechee51, Apr 25, 6:35am
Where do you get these! I usually just buy round or square pieces of sponge when I make trifles or tiramisu and have noticed Ladyfigure sponge cakes are needed for some recipes.

beechee51, Apr 25, 6:49am
So Ladyfinger sponge cakes are not like normal sponge at all!

cookessentials, Apr 25, 6:53am

pickles7, Apr 25, 11:23am
They can be made without the tins. you scatter sugar onto the tray, before you pipe the mixture out. helps to stop them spreading too far.