Help whyare my cakes so hard to get out??

abbied, Jan 25, 7:04am
Sorry if this has been done to death, but last night I made the roasting dish chocolate cake recipe from here, made 3 smaller cakes, and couldn't get one of them out of the tin!!! I had greased them with butter on a brush, please any help would be great.

radark, Jan 25, 7:06am
u need to use baking paper as well

bunny51, Jan 25, 7:08am
I use baking paper too, then they just slide out. Or I use the nonstick spray stuff,

abbied, Jan 25, 7:11am
Thanks usually use spray but was out, then usually use baking paper, but forgot!! Silly me, will do better next time! Sounds like my high school report!!

monkey_room, Jan 25, 7:12am
Baking Paper - if not butter and flour the pan and shake off the leftover flour. But baking paper is best.

pickles7, Jan 25, 7:27am
tin glide
melt 4ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.
Paint on with a brush.

NB. vegetable fat is OK to use, all oil will not work, it will have the opposite effect.

lx4000, Jan 25, 7:59am
I agree with the butter then flour trick!! Remember to coat in flour then turn up and bang out all excess flour:) Please remember only the bottom of the pan and not the sides!!

Baking paper is also good:)

(barloo)

gardie, Jan 25, 8:16am
If making a chocolate cake, you can 'flour' the tin cocoa - not noticeably on the turned out cake.BUT baking paper is best, cooking spray second best IMO.

uli, Jan 25, 8:19am
Before baking paper there was baking too - remember those ancient times?

I always use fat AND either flour or nuts or breadcrumbs (depending on the recipe) to prepare the tins - never get anything stuck - but then mine areNON non-stick, maybe that is the reason?

seniorbones, Jan 25, 8:28am
me too...I never bake anything without lining the tin with baking paper..whoever invented the stuff is a genius..and make sure it is baking paper I accidently used normal lunch wrap once and it stuck!!

esther-anne, Jan 25, 9:35am
Why not the sides?? I don't understand that.I have been baking aeons before baking paper was ever thought of and always happy to try new things.In this case though there is no need.I well butter the base and the sides of the cake tin than I just throw a handful of flour and about two tspns of raw sugar on the base and then tap it so it covers base and sides and chuck out any excess.The cake always slides out perfectly and the bit of sugar mixed in with the flour ensures a rather nice crispy outside to the cake.

That's my long experience anyway!!!LOL!!

lx4000, Jan 25, 9:41am
esther-anne

I can not remember what I read now!! But its something to do with stopping the cake rising properly.

(barloo)

monkey_room, Jan 25, 10:00am
We used to save all the butter papers and line the tins with those before baking paper came along.

esther-anne, Jan 25, 7:23pm
That's an interesting theory isn't it?Perhaps some scientific person will come along and explain why.

I can honestly say I have never had a problem with a cake not rising.

I still save my butter papers too but I don't line the tins, I use them to butter the tins.

Ah well-to each his own!!

sarahj1, Jan 25, 7:46pm
Tip from f-i-law who was commercial baker - Never, Ever wash your tins with soap.Just let them soak briefly in warm water as soon as you empty them, then use hot water and scrub - but NO soap - that way they get seasoned and become non-stick.Works for muffin tins as well

pickles7, Feb 28, 5:55pm
Yep, that is right. We always rubbed them over with a Goldilocks then just painted them with , tin-glide before filling. I still use tin glide, even for home baking, just easier and more reliable than butter and then flour.