What are those little cakes called with Raspberry

nzkea1, Jun 23, 3:34am
I would like to make some little cakes, that have a pastry base, raspberry jam then a sponge / cake type topping and can not remember what they are called - can someone please help me.

lx4000, Jun 23, 3:46am
Louise cake?

pam.delilah, Jun 23, 3:48am
x4
post pasting
CHEESE CAKES:

200g flaky pastry
½ cup sugar
3Tbsp raspberry jam
125g butter softened
1 cup flour
1tsp baking powder
2 eggs beaten

Roll out pastry to 200mm. Cut out 7cm rounds and line patty tins. Place ½ tsp jam into each pastry case. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the flour and BP alternately with the eggs. Stir to mix. Drop large spoonfuls into the pastry cases. Bake at 200°C for 15-20 minutes. Makes 20. I seem to remember that crosses of pastry were put on top.

lulu239 (111 )11:42 am, Mon 22 Mar

indy95, Jun 23, 3:50am
x1
Cheesecakes. I know they are not what we now consider to be cheesecakes but I think they might have had curd cheese in them once upon a time. They are really lovely and seem to be making a comeback.

nzkea1, Jun 23, 3:56am
Yay exactly what I was wanting, thanks soo much.I look forward to making some - oops just used the pastry for some Ricotta, Fetta, Caramelised Onion, Cherry Tomato, Basil tartlets.Will have to buy some more pastry :O)

nzkea1, Jun 23, 3:56am
Had no idea they were making a comeback, I just suddenly had an urge to make some LOL

indy95, Jun 23, 4:03am
Well, not sure what's happening elsewhere, but they are certainly back in favour in this house !It's funny how you can forget about a recipe for years and then come across it again usually while looking for something else. I have also noticed them in one or two cafes recently.

nzkea1, Jun 23, 4:20am
Yes I had completely forgotten about those little cakes and while I was making something else with pastry I suddenly remembered them.Awesome to see them return back into cafes, it seems to be a happening thing, like Anzac Biscuits, Caramel Slice etc. Nice Talking K

pickles7, Jun 23, 5:17am
eccles cakes, are another old favourite, and a good fast recipe to use up odd bits of pastry. Used to be very popular, a great way to use up the cakes that did not sell, and a few crusts of bread.

nzkea1, Jun 23, 5:19am
Forgot about those also, they are so nice they will go on my "To Bake" List, thanks for that :O)

beastie3, Jun 23, 5:46am
Hey thanks for that idea!!!

valerie66, Jun 23, 5:55am
just called raspberry jam tarts i think, they are yummy.short pastry cases filled with jam

suz71, Jun 23, 7:11am
that recipe us in the edmonds book

kay141, Jun 23, 7:22am
I remember a little squiggle of pastry on top, like a small version of the breast cancer ribbon. That shape anyway, more a loop than a cross.

nzhel, Jun 23, 4:52pm
Yep - Cheese Cakes is the name and my mum made them often and with the 'squiggle' of pastry on the top. I always loved them and like them best with a nice tart jam in the base. My mum usually used Damson jam which went nicely with the sweetness of the cake part. Mmmm - could do with a couple now!

bappy, Jun 23, 6:46pm
Do you use a mini muffin tray or a medium muffin tray for this recipe?Would they come off easily once baked or stick to the tray?

indy95, Jun 23, 11:11pm
Bappy, you could use a medium muffin pan but I prefer using a patty pan as the rounded hollows make it easier to remove the cakes when they are cooked. They won't stick if you lightly oil or grease the pan.

daleaway, Jun 24, 12:51am
They were called cheesecakes in New Zealand, but their English name is Maids of Honour, which I have also seen used in New Zealand cookbooks.

A (somewhat highly coloured) history of them is here :
http://www.richmond.gov.uk/local_history_maids_of_honour.pdf
In the 19th century the recipe included curds made with rennet, hence the cheese part of the name. The jam may originally have been a quince paste but is now usually raspberry.

I think I made my first ones (helping mother) in the 1940s. Patty pans are what we always made them in.