Why are chesse cakes called cheese cakes?

mas45, Mar 12, 12:37am
x1
I made a double batch of the little beauties and wondered why they are so named when there's no cheese in sight? Cheers Matt

jessie981, Mar 12, 1:03am
this has been asked before but can't remember the answer. Same as Lemon cheese (lemon honey, no cheese in this either)

davidt4, Mar 12, 1:07am
Do you mean little tarts with pastry shells, jam and a cake batter on top?These were derived from Yorkshire Curd Tarts (sometimes called Yorkshire Cheese Cakes), which were made with drained milk curd as part of the cake batter.

lythande1, Mar 12, 1:29am
Cheesecake
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheesecake is a dessert consisting of a topping made of soft, fresh cheese on a base made from biscuit, pastry or sponge. The topping is frequently sweetened with sugar and flavored or topped with fruit, nuts, fruit flavored drizzle and/or chocolate.

elliehen, Mar 12, 1:33am
lythande, that's a very different cheesecake.The OP describes a 'batch of little beauties' so must be describing the pre-1950s tarts for which poster #3 gives the origin.

mas45, Mar 12, 4:55am
Thank's, yes it was the little ones that I was after the origins for. Gosh there yummy. Cheers Matt

uli, Mar 12, 5:32am
Why are cheese cakes called cheese cakes?
Because they are made with fresh cheese.

Milk is curdled with rennet and the resulting junket gets put into a cheese cloth to let the whey drip off. Then you have fresh cheese - in Europe called quark.

If you keep that fresh cheese in a cheese press (and preferably inoculate it with some starter culture) then you get the yellow hard cheese after a while - which is what you probably think of as cheese.

juliewn, Mar 12, 8:48am
I agree Matt - a great way to use up left-over pastry too.. they're very popular here.. and a must have is the little curl of pastry on top!

I've noticed them in some cafes too.. another old-fashioned goodie making a come-back..

juliewn, Mar 12, 8:59am
For those wanting to try them:

Cheesecakes - sometimes called Old-Fashioned Cheesecakes

Preheat oven to 200°C.

Roll out 175gms flaky pastry, and line 2 dozen patty-pan tins with circles of pastry.

Place half a teaspoon of raspberry jam in the bottom of each.

Cream:
125gms butter with
125gms sugar.

Beat 2 eggs and add alternately to the butter/sugar mix with

150gms flour and 1 tsp baking powder.

Mix together well and place spoonfuls of the mix on top of the raspberry jam.

Place a small curl of a strip of pastry on top.

Bake about 20 minutes or till they're light brown underneath and the cake-type filling is cooked.

Cool.. and try to maintain control at all times so they don't disappear within moments!

mas45, Mar 13, 12:37am
I made a double batch of the little beauties and wondered why they are so named when there's no cheese in sight! Cheers Matt

jessie981, Mar 13, 1:03am
this has been asked before but can't remember the answer. Same as Lemon cheese (lemon honey, no cheese in this either)

davidt4, Mar 13, 1:07am
Do you mean little tarts with pastry shells, jam and a cake batter on top!These were derived from Yorkshire Curd Tarts (sometimes called Yorkshire Cheese Cakes), which were made with drained milk curd as part of the cake batter.

elliehen, Mar 13, 1:33am
lythande, that's a very different cheesecake.The OP describes a 'batch of little beauties' so must be describing the pre-1950s tarts for which poster #3 gives the origin.

mas45, Mar 13, 4:55am
Thank's, yes it was the little ones that I was after the origins for. Gosh there yummy. Cheers Matt

uli, Mar 13, 5:32am
Why are cheese cakes called cheese cakes!
Because they are made with fresh cheese.

Milk is curdled with rennet and the resulting junket gets put into a cheese cloth to let the whey drip off. Then you have fresh cheese - in Europe called quark.

If you keep that fresh cheese in a cheese press (and preferably inoculate it with some starter culture) then you get the yellow hard cheese after a while - which is what you probably think of as cheese.

juliewn, Mar 13, 8:48am
I agree Matt - a great way to use up left-over pastry too. they're very popular here. and a must have is the little curl of pastry on top!

I've noticed them in some cafes too. another old-fashioned goodie making a come-back.

juliewn, Mar 13, 8:59am
For those wanting to try them:

Cheesecakes - sometimes called Old-Fashioned Cheesecakes

Preheat oven to 200°C.

Roll out 175gms flaky pastry, and line 2 dozen patty-pan tins with circles of pastry.

Place half a teaspoon of raspberry jam in the bottom of each.

Cream:
125gms butter with
125gms sugar.

Beat 2 eggs and add alternately to the butter/sugar mix with

150gms flour and 1 tsp baking powder.

Mix together well and place spoonfuls of the mix on top of the raspberry jam.

Place a small curl of a strip of pastry on top.

Bake about 20 minutes or till they're light brown underneath and the cake-type filling is cooked.

Cool. and try to maintain control at all times so they don't disappear within moments!