Thai Fish Cakes

mousely2, Apr 2, 12:54am
Anyone got any Favourite Recipes??and what sort of Canned Fish is best to use if Fresh is unavailable??
Ta

janny3, Apr 2, 1:18am
Would also like a recipe for these too.

Had some at a friend's place in CHCH.They were made w/ mashed kumara/spuds, tin of corn, can of fish, chopped red capsicum, fresh coriander, spring onions & served w/ chili & lime sauces.

Tried to make them w/out recipe specifics.They were lovely but mine were doughy.Would love a recipe please.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Potato-Salmon-Patties/Detail.aspx

elliehen, Apr 2, 2:12am
This doesn't answer your specific question, but could help someone else wanting a quick basic one.It's a student flatter's recipe - for one or two people :)

Boil till tender two medium potatoes, then mash with a fork.Add one small can of Sealord-style Thai chilli fish in oil, some chopped parsley, and combine.

Form into patties and fryin a little oil or butter till golden on each side.

davidt4, Apr 2, 3:17am
This is how I make them.The coconut cream makes the cakes juicy and tasty.I don't think tinned fish would work in this kind of fish cake, if you want to use tinned fish you would better off making the English kind of fish cake described in #3 using mashed potato or kumara.

Thai Fish Cakes

600g white fish
4 tab coconut cream
1 tab fresh chillies, chopped

Combine in food processor until smooth.Add:

1 egg
2 tab fish sauce
1 tab root ginger, finely chopped
2 tab coriander leaves, chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tab cornflour

Chill 1 – 3 hours then shape into patties.Shallow fry in peanut or coconut oil.

Sweet Chilli Sauce:

2 tab fresh chillies, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
2 tab sugar
2 tab fish sauce
1 tab lemon juice

Combine, bring to boil, cool.

beaker59, Apr 2, 5:10am
They are great fish cakes Davidt4 I do mine much like that too.

Awesome on the BBQ and can also be formed into kebab skewers.

nzl99, Apr 2, 9:34pm
These are mine and I think probably very similar to everyone elses... fish cakes are so easy. :-)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2117518&id=1225939081&l=f52ebdcbc8

mousely2, Apr 3, 1:54am
Anyone got any Favourite Recipes!and what sort of Canned Fish is best to use if Fresh is unavailable!
Ta

janny3, Apr 3, 2:18am
Would also like a recipe for these too.

Had some at a friend's place in CHCH.They were made w/ mashed kumara/spuds, tin of corn, can of fish, chopped red capsicum, fresh coriander, spring onions & served w/ chili & lime sauces.

Tried to make them w/out recipe specifics.They were lovely but mine were doughy.Would love a recipe please.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Potato-Salmon-Patties/Detail.aspx

elliehen, Apr 3, 3:12am
This doesn't answer your specific question, but could help someone else wanting a quick basic one.It's a student flatter's recipe - for one or two people :)

Boil till tender two medium potatoes, then mash with a fork.Add one small can of Sealord-style Thai chilli fish in oil, some chopped parsley, and combine.

Form into patties and fryin a little oil or butter till golden on each side.

davidt4, Apr 3, 4:17am
This is how I make them.The coconut cream makes the cakes juicy and tasty.I don't think tinned fish would work in this kind of fish cake, if you want to use tinned fish you would better off making the English kind of fish cake described in #3 using mashed potato or kumara.

Thai Fish Cakes

600g white fish
4 tab coconut cream
1 tab fresh chillies, chopped

Combine in food processor until smooth.Add:

1 egg
2 tab fish sauce
1 tab root ginger, finely chopped
2 tab coriander leaves, chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tab cornflour

Chill 1 – 3 hours then shape into patties.Shallow fry in peanut or coconut oil.

Sweet Chilli Sauce:

2 tab fresh chillies, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
2 tab sugar
2 tab fish sauce
1 tab lemon juice

Combine, bring to boil, cool.

nzl99, Apr 3, 9:34pm
These are mine and I think probably very similar to everyone elses. fish cakes are so easy. :-)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php!aid=2117518&id=1225939081&l=f52ebdcbc8

mousely2, Apr 4, 12:52am
Ta a lot..

beaker59, Apr 4, 5:53am
Caught a big pile of Kahawai today so will be making about 3 or 4 Kg of the fish cakes for dinner and also for a function we are having next week(the mix freezes well).

mousely2, Apr 5, 12:52am
Ta a lot.

beaker59, Apr 5, 5:53am
Caught a big pile of Kahawai today so will be making about 3 or 4 Kg of the fish cakes for dinner and also for a function we are having next week(the mix freezes well).

Also just to add Mousley if you are using tinned fish then Elliehens recipe is ideal and very nice if using fresh fish then use Davidt's recipe which is much like I do.

The technique Davidt describes doesn't need all the spices if its not your thing leave those out and use what ever you like can be as simple as salt and pepper. I use allot of fresh chopped herbs and some red curry paste and what ever else I have lying around like ground cumin and corriander ginger lemon zest and juice lemon grass etc.

janny3, Apr 7, 8:21am
Wonderful.Thanks.